Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
CBRV

Battleborn lithium 12v battery

I own a 21 ft. Cougar tow behind trailer(30) Amp.I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase a 12V 100Ah lithium or can I get away with a 50Ah battery? It has all to do with cost. Am I going to regret trying to save a few hundred dollars "somewhere down the road"? I am thinking Battleborn battery does anyone have any advice or thoughts?...Bruce
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
mfifield01

It depends on the type of camping and many other factors. Do you plan to boondock? Or will you be in parks with hookups?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

If you're "worried about costs" then why are you considering the most expensive type battery? More information like why lithium, how do you use your camper, if you are boondocking how are you going to replenish the charge, etc. There's no way to offer any valuable advice with such little information on what you're attempting to accomplish.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Tbos

I started looking into Lithium for my Alpine and found out the Converter/charger is not lithium compatible. I also have a residential fridge so the inverter to run the fridge sucks up more power too. Contact BB and they will help you decide what you may need. They will need some of the same information mentioned in the other posts too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Logan X

Lithium batteries are extremely expensive, 100 amp hours is about $1000, and I believe you would need to change your charger/converter if you went with lithium.

I use two 6v golf cart batteries and that gives me quite a bit of off grid power. 115 usable amp hours and the batteries cost around $220 for both.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Lithium batteries are not much different than a AGM or acid core. They all have a life expediency. I would look into that before I plunk down serious cash on a lithium battery. The one for my battery drill is $40 LOL
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Lithium batteries are extremely expensive, 100 amp hours is about $1000, and I believe you would need to change your charger/converter if you went with lithium.

I use two 6v golf cart batteries and that gives me quite a bit of off grid power. 115 usable amp hours and the batteries cost around $220 for both.
Just bought 6-6v batteries for my golf cart at Sam's for $89 each.
Unless you're off grid for VERY LOOOONG periods I couldn't possibly imagine spending a grand on 1 battery & still need to replace the converter plus have a good quite generator. If it's anything like batteries for my tools & RC car once they're dead you're done whereas a wet battery will still operate a few things on lower voltage, not good for the battery though, but better than nothing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Customer1

Lithium batteries are great but also very expensive. I bought four GC2 batteries at Sam's Club for $340. The four together are 410ah if I remember correctly, maybe a little more. Unless weight is a very serious concern, lithium may not be the best choice.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

I think weight and durability are the hallmarks of lithium batteries (cost be damned).

For me, I have 2 X CG2 batteries that are rated at 235 Ah each, which gives me a considerable increase over the 2 X G24 batteries they replaced (@ 75 Ah each)

-Brian
Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I think weight and durability are the hallmarks of lithium batteries (cost be damned).

For me, I have 2 X CG2 batteries that are rated at 235 Ah each, which gives me a considerable increase over the 2 X G24 batteries they replaced (@ 75 Ah each)

-Brian
Just 2 thoughts on the "cost be damned", considering the inexperienced new owner.

First, that's a great mantra if you have the disposable funds and secondly you don't expect to recoup that money (at least anywhere near the investment) when you go to either sell the rv or the sell the equipment separately.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post

-Brian
So anyone reading this isn't confused the two GC2 are 6v batteries so the ah is not added.

The G24 are 12v batteries so you add the ah.

Two GC2 = 235ah
Two G24 = 150ah
Still a substantial difference.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
So anyone reading this isn't confused the two GC2 are 6v batteries so the ah is not added.

The G24 are 12v batteries so you add the ah.

Two GC2 = 235ah
Two G24 = 150ah
Still a substantial difference.
Correct, I should have made that clear, but, as you said... a substantial increase over what I had.

-Brian
Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
Jim2366

I have been looking into getting a lithium battery, but I am not rushing out to get one yet. It reminds me of a few years back I saw a 4K TV but the price was twice as much. The LED light bulbs, and going way back fax machines. The technology is better even for normal use when the camper is sitting in my driveway for four days before going on a trip. I then could turn on the refrigerator. There is a lot more I want to know. They can be charged more times and hold a charge longer. If the price drops which I think will. Then more people will buy them for trolling motors, RV's and even cars. I do not want to go solar but charge them with electric.

I will keep using an extension cord and a charger until the price drops.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
SCGatl

Lithiums

I put a solar system in my 175LHS Hideout, and one of the key considerations was that lithium batteries don't need to be vented. So I have 2 100ah Renogy batteries, (4) 100w panels, and charge controller, converter, and inverter running through an auto transfer switch. The batteries and other parts are under the bunk near the stock panel.

I can run my CPAP machine at night, use the solar batteries to charge the house battery (or leave it disconnected), and run everything off the solar system for days when air conditioning is not needed. The 175LHS has a window type AC unit, and at 750-800 watts, I can run the AC for about 4 hours if needed.

Just gives me options, and I dont need to haul a generator to hunt camp most weekends.
SCGatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
Greggde

Battle born lithium on sale

I was informed that Battle Born is having a sale on their batteries that have blemished cases and they still have the Bazooka proof guarantee. I just installed six of the 100 amp batteries and love them. I think that your money would be better spent with the 100 amp batteries especially if you can get a deal on them.
Incidentally, I found them to be very helpful with regard to designing a system for our new Fusion that allowed for a very safe clean intallation.
Greggde
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #16
Genek

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
Lithium batteries are not much different than a AGM or acid core. They all have a life expediency. I would look into that before I plunk down serious cash on a lithium battery. The one for my battery drill is $40 LOL
A few things to note is. A 100 ah lithium battery will provide 90 ah of power. Lead acid is only 50 ah. The Battle born has temperature sensors so you won’t damage the battery during charging. Lithium cannot be charged if the battery is 32 degrees or colder. Need to keep in heated storage area. Battle Borne provides protection from this issue. Battle Borne are guaranteed for 10 years and about 3000 charges. Yes, you will have to set your onboard charger for lithium or change it out. If g ugh our keeping your 5er like me it’s worth the money and never having to worry about the batteries. 400 watts of solar plus two batteries and your good to go for a long time!! PS...the battery is 1/2 the weight of comparable lead acid battery.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #17
Roaming-Roy

Battleborn lithium battery are worth the cost

I have 2018 MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 375FL FIFTH WHEEL.
I replaced the two 100ah lead acid batteries with two battleborn lithium batterys and charger.
....No more servicing battery,
...10 year warranty
....No more acid corrosion or dangerous vapors.
....25% lighter in weight,
....Place battery anywhere ( no spillage)
...13 volts until battery are dead,
....No more low voltage system shutdown.
...Recharge from complete dead to full charge hundreds of times without damage.
....Easy to monitor battery status.
Yes they are expensive but worth every dime..
battleborn also gives Military discount.
Roaming-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:21 AM   #18
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post

Did you need a different battery box for the 2 GCs? If so, easy to install?
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #19
Roscommon48

so, what did you buy? just curious.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
Did you need a different battery box for the 2 GCs? If so, easy to install?
Yes. I started with two separate GC2 boxes side by side.

https://no.co/hm306bks

And I switched to one battery box that holds both batteries

https://no.co/hm426

The single battery box does not fit in the battery tray on the tongue of the trailer so I screwed a piece of pressure treated lumber in the tray to make the tray flush. I screwed the battery box into the lumber with wood screws and wide washers. I’ve hade that setup for about a year and towed about 5 k miles, it works great.

The reason I went with the single battery box is it gave me enough room on the tongue of the trailer to also mount the shunt for my battery monitor, which I also recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ.../dp/B01BVQR0V8

And the box I put the shunt in

https://www.amazon.com/SOCKiTBOX-Wea.../dp/B009RX5GI2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	24609  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery