Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
kellerbees

Question Water heater issue

Having issues with my water heater. My 2004 Cougar has a Sw6DE WH. 110 side works great after replaceing Anode, heating element, both high limit stats. LP side lites and has good flame. Doesn't heat water. Heat exchanger maybe? Trying to avoid buying a new one.
kellerbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If you run it on lp does it ever shut off? If in fact you have a "good flame" then the only thing I can think of might be a great deal of scale build up acting as an insulator on the heat exchanger/burner tube. When you replaced the anode did you flush out the tank?

I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Is the winterizing valve in the right position?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Is the winterizing valve in the right position?
If the unit works on electric than the valve should not be a factor.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
kellerbees

Water Heater Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you run it on lp does it ever shut off? If in fact you have a "good flame" then the only thing I can think of might be a great deal of scale build up acting as an insulator on the heat exchanger/burner tube. When you replaced the anode did you flush out the tank?

Frankly I was concerned about the water being unaffected that I shut off the LP burner. Yes I did flush out the anode chamber before installing the new. Maybe I'll remove the anode and check for excess scale. The anode I removed was worn beyond usefulness. Thanks for your response.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Prior to removing the old anode, did the water heater work properly on electric? If so, what else did you do at the same time? Your first post indicates that you changed the anode, the heating element, both high temp/thermostat switches, all at the same time???? If so, are you sure that you got it reassembled in the same wiring configuration as the original??? AC connections on the heating element aren't important, but they can be on the high limit/thermostat switch, especially the DC (gas) side.

I would think that if it was working before you replaced parts, there shouldn't be an issue with the physical ability to heat water now. So I'd suspect that the burner tube, if it was working previously, isn't the issue now.

Possibly there's a link to some other action or parts replacement that isn't "glaring at all of us"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
bobbecky

The anode and electric element have absolutely nothing to do with the gas side of these water heaters. I'm not sure if there would be an issue if the 120 volt AC thermostat and the 12 volt DC thermostat for the gas side were reversed, but I would verify they were in the correct place. To replace the element, usually the burner tube has to be removed. Was this properly put back as it was before the element was replaced? And, are the wires to the gas valve still in place and with no broken wires? Those things may have something to do with the gas problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Steveo57

If you have good flame then that heat is going somewhere. How long did you run it on gas? It might take 5-10 minutes to get things warm.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
kellerbees

Red face Water Heater Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

Thanks to all who contributed to my water heater issue. It was a simple solution. Patience. Apparently being a relatively new 5th wheeler I was not aware of the time differences in electric heat and gas heat. I espected, ignorantly, that the time span of heating the water would be similar. Just waiting a bit longer for the LP to complete its job i solved my "issue". That being said the WH is old and probably does suffer from efficiency problems. Thanks again. Great site!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerbees View Post
Thanks to all who contributed to my water heater issue. It was a simple solution. Patience. Apparently being a relatively new 5th wheeler I was not aware of the time differences in electric heat and gas heat. I espected, ignorantly, that the time span of heating the water would be similar. Just waiting a bit longer for the LP to complete its job i solved my "issue". That being said the WH is old and probably does suffer from efficiency problems. Thanks again. Great site!
If you want/need it to heat quickly turn on both gas & electric. Yes it's safe & won't hurt a thing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you want/need it to heat quickly turn on both gas & electric. Yes it's safe & won't hurt a thing.
Quickly is a relative term.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerbees View Post
... the WH is old and probably does suffer from efficiency problems. Thanks again. Great site!
I think many of us can relate to "old and suffering from efficiency problems"... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #13
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think many of us can relate to "old and suffering from efficiency problems"... <sigh>
HEY I resemble that remark!!!!

when travelling with short stops where electricity is usually free we use electric. When staying long term and paying electric propane is cheaper. If using a lot at any given time we use both.

As a side note our heater died a month ago. Original was a 12 gallon. Replacement option had a 10 with the same physical connections and dimensions that was $140 cheaper. Even with DW taking super long showers it lasts long enough.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater