Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
GaryUT

What have you used for a backsplash

I am thinking about putting a backsplash in our trailer around the stove and sink. Our trailer has a wall to the right of the stove, its only about 8" from the burner to the wall, I want to cover that wall also.

I have seen the Smart Tiles vinyl or glass, and the Aspect metal or stone.

What have others used and how well does it hold up to the heat of the stove, and how easy is it to clean up?

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Bisjoe

Apparently the movement, and vibrations are too much for traditional grout applications, but I wanted real tiles so I came up with an alternative. I used regular tiles, 2" square which I mounted onto .040 aluminum cut to size. Instead of grout I used Acrylic Latex CaulkPlus Silicone in a complimentary color. I left off the tiles in the corners and top/bottom center, and used screws to mount to the wall. Then I ground the back center of the unmounted tiles to allow for the screw heads, and attached them with a few dabs of silicone adhesive, and finished up the caulking.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Thomasbeau

We purchased the peel and stick tiles from Amazon. Very easy to apply and pretty inexpensive. They look great but we have only had them for one season so I can't comment on the durability.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...8&psc=1http://
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	24645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	24646  
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
cliff

We purchased polycabonate (Lexan or Plexiglas) and cut it to size and used double sided tape to hold it. We were concerned about it melting at first. After ten years it didn't. One thing if you have a directional stove vent behind the stove top make sure the vents are directed towards the stove and not the back wall. Mine came backwards, and it could do some dame directed at the wall and wall coverings.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
ajk170

We installed Smart tiles in our '15 Outback back in 2016 due to how nice they looked (they appear to look like glass tile) and they have very little weight. As other have said, real tile is highly problematic in an RV application. Consequently, Smart Tile seemed to be a good solution and we installed them as a backsplash in the kitchen in which we incorporated Keystone's decretive border by applying the tiles above and below the boarder and not cover it. We thought it would look odd if we covered it and cut it off at the kitchen area. We also put the tiles in the bathroom in which we applied it at wainscoting height (about 35") around the toilet and the rest of the walls as well as a backsplash around the lavatory sink. At the time we lived in Luduwici, GA (SouthEast GA) and then moved to El Paso in 2017. The Smart tiles have held up through the humid GA heat as well as the scorching hot summers of Western TX. And while the freezing cold days out in El Paso are few, it seems to handle the cold weather well too. In fact, the vinyl flooring has pretty much totally failed since we moved out here (bubbled up) but the smart tiles have not. We followed the directions and used a commercial degreaser prior to the application and applied them in the same manner as you would lay tile so that we hid the seams. Cutting them wasn't hard and making cutouts for outlets wasn't too hard. We just took our time. We also used the trim edging . We love Smart tiles despite the cost!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote