Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
restez

Question Lippert Hydraulic Pump Problems

We have a 2010 Montana Mountaineer 3215 fifth wheel and started having problems with the slides coming out about 4 inches on our last trip thru Michigan up to Canada. I checked the fluid and it was a little low so added fluid and did not help. Discovered if I used the slide lock knobs on the trailer the two slides on the driver side would stay in but the office/TV slide on the passenger side would not lock and continued to travel out about 4 inches. Fought with this all the way to Canada and back until we stopped in Iowa and I took it in to a Camping World there to have it looked at. They said it needs a new hydraulic pump that it is leaking internally back into the reservoir to the tune of $1200 and it would take 7 to 10 days to get one. I have to be back to work in Montana on Monday so that was not an option so after paying $250.00 for the diagnosis fee we headed back on our way to Montana fighting this slide all the way. My question is has anyone ever changed this pump themselves and what are the tricks/ suggestions that I might follow to change this pump?
Thanks
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
ChuckS

What it actually sounds like is the hydraulic slide out solenoid valve .... one only common to all slides is not reseating thus allowing return line hyd pressure to bleed off. When this happens ...
All hyd slides are held closed by hyd pressure the slides will creep out.

This is an easy replacement and the solenoid valve you are looking for will be on a manifold block near the hyd pump. It could also be dirt that is on the end of the solenoid. But if your gonna remove it I’d order one in advance and replace

Replacing the hyd pump will not fix your problem. Complete waste of money

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
ChuckS

http://https://store.lci1.com/cartri...ac-138417.html

Verify this is your part number for you Hydac valve
Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
travelin texans

If by chance it is the pump, once back at work remove the pump & find your local hydraulic repair shop & have it rebuilt much cheaper than replacement. But I agree it sounds like the solenoid which is even cheaper to replace & may just have a bit of something that causes it to stick & needs cleaned.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
restez

Dropped off the hydraulic unit this morning at a hydraulic repair shop, this unit doesn't have Hydac valve like shown there are two on the pump body and have no electrical fittings on them
Old 07-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by restez View Post
Dropped off the hydraulic unit this morning at a hydraulic repair shop, this unit doesn't have Hydac valve like shown there are two on the pump body and have no electrical fittings on them
Bet it doesn't cost $1200 to rebuild.
I had a jack leaking, Lippert wanted $500+ for a new one, the hydraulic shop said they could rebuild with better seals for between $50-$150 depending on what was needed. It actually quit leaking once I operated a few times after sitting for several months.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
ChuckS

They should have you all set up tether quickly. Let us all know how repair works out.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
restez

Question Lippert Hydraulic Slide Pump

Just picked up my pump from the repair shop where I was told there is nothing wrong with the pump, it holds pressure both in and out and they cycled it 6 times and everything worked. Not really what I wanted to hear but the guy at the shop that checked it out said maybe it had a speck of dirt or something in the system that caused one of the internal valves to stick open a little. He told me to reinstall it, put in new fluid and run the slides in and out 6 or 8 times to bleed the air out then to top off the fluid to 1/2 inch from the top of reservour with the slides in and he said it should work. Now after paying Camping World in Davenport Iowa $250.00 to say the pump was bad and another $35.00 here in Montana to say there is nothing wrong with it I am hoping it was just air in the lines but am still skeptical. I will post results after reinstalling
Old 08-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
ChuckS

If you still have issues after doing the bleed I’d be looking at the ONE slide that creeps open. The hydraulic cylinder may be bypassing internally and if so the return “holding” pressure is bleeding off that hyd cylinder allowing it to creep out.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #10
gearhead

I've read elsewhere that a quart of Torco motorcycle fork fluid or CAT hydraulic additive helps a lot with sticking. This issue sounds beyond that but I would like feedback on that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
ChuckS

The “stiction” fluid add is mainly for the six point hydraulic level up. I’m on my sixth season with all hydraulic slides and leveling

I replaced the hyd reservoir fluid 2 years ago ... just siphoned out as much as I could without introducing air into system.

I use AW32 fluid in mine. Not ATF

Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
restez

Well put pump back in this weekend and still has same problem, I have run the slides in and out 4 times and still the same problem, how long does it take to get air out of system? The other thing is a couple times when running out the slides the bedroom goes out first then the office then last the big superslide on the same side as the bedroom slide. The bedroom would come out and the other two wouldn't move then after just touching the slide in button and then out again they would come out. This thing really has me puzzled and after paying almost $300.00 now for diagnosis that haven't worked I am a little gun shy to take it anywhere to be so called fixed. Also if I leave the slide lock knobs open on the side of the trailer and after retracting all 3 slides the bedroom slide will come out about 8 inches the superslide will come out a couple inches and the office slide will come out about 3 to 4 inches, if you lock out the bedroom and superslide the office slide will creep out about 6 inches whether it is locked or not.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #13
restez

Well next project is to pull the suspect ram out of the frame, the one that keeps creeping out, they say its not too bad of a job, anyone have any tips before I start this project? its on the passenger side to the rear of the unit.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
fatcatzzz

If these are opposing slides it sounds like the same problem I had. Problem was a bad piston seal on the drivers side slide cylinder. Opposing slide share the same pressure and return lines. Losing pressure thru the seal will cause pressure drop on both slides. Fix was to replace slide cylinder. Keystone has a test that can be done using the system onboard. Contact them for test procedure. How do I know this? I sent three weeks in Billings MT. getting this fixed under warranty. Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #15
ChuckS

Simple procedure to test for internal leak on hydraulic slide out cylinder.

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...ice-Manual.pdf