Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Rballbuff

Thumbs down

Any ideas of what to check with new 5th wheel slides? Has the Accu Slide cable system on all 4 slides and 3 of them are sticking or making mini jumps when retracting. We have sprayed all the seals with the seal lubricant but its still happening. I have read that the slides may need adjusting?? What does that mean?

We have a new 5th wheel. We have sprayed lubricant on all the slide seals inside and out but the the 2 living room and the kitchen slides stick or make small jumps when retracting. What else can I try to do? Maybe more lubricant? I saw on you tube and read in the manual that sometimes the slides need to be adjusted? Our slides have the Accu Slide cable system.
Rballbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
rsl

I was about to make a post about my fz371 living and galley slide chattering when going in and out. So awaiting answers also
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
gearhead

Which 5th wheel is it?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Rballbuff

2018 Keystone Sprinter
Old 06-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
KnobbyKnees

Seems like I read this in this forum, but may have been another.
I have a 2015 Sprinter 5th wheel and had the same issue. If yours is like mine, the main slide is not on rollers as you would expect, but slides on a hard plastic bar.
Try washing the underside of the slide with Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax. It is the Synthetic Polymer that is suppose to make the differance, A simular wash/wax may also work. I wash mine 2 to 3 times a year and before any extended trip. Weather this is a "band-aid fix" or not, I don't know, but it completely cured my problem, the slide works fine otherwise.
KnobbyKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

They are probably sliding on "wear bars". I am assuming the bottom of the slides are covered with Darco fabric.

If you have sprayed the lubricant that is sold at places like Camping World for that purpose you may be exacerbating your problem. When they did that to mine at CW (used the off the shelf slide lube) I went from 1 jerking slide to 3.

Completely wash down and dry the underside of the slides. We use Dawn then rinse and dry. You may have to use a water based cleaner on the wear bar (behind the bottom seal on the slide) and run the slide in and out a few times to try to clear any lube buildup on the bar. Use the solution liberally to get all of the stuff off if possible - dry it. Don't use the Dawn mix because if left to dry, Dawn gets sticky.

At this point you can do a number of things; you can use the Meguiars as listed earlier. I have used a wax on mine but still had some issues. I'm afraid that it will eventually build up on the wear bar so don't use it. BAL, the makers of the accu slide, recommended a product called Zep 45 to me. It's hard to find, expensive and after using it I'm not sure if it is the right product. I used a WD 40 dry lube product that seemed to help as well.

The primary goal is to get the excess lube off the bottom of the slide and wear bar. It may work from that alone. If not, proceeding with some sort of lube may be required. The Darco is jerking/sticking to the wear bar I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
gearhead

"WD-40 with PTFE Does Not Attract Dirt". I get it at WalMart. I've got several posts on jerking slides and what I did. I used a solvent (test in a small spot) to clean the bottom of the slide. Then the WD40 with PTFE.
Buy at least 2 cans.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
roadglide

I have been using white grease spray it stops the jumping on my slide . Some body made comment that it may be to slick using silicon I agree. Lithium white spray grease for anything mechanical here.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Rballbuff

Jumpy slide

Thanks for the suggestions. We will do as suggested and hope for the results y'all got.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Frank G

Take a look at this video. It shows how to install rollers and permanently solve the issue of sticky slides.

https://youtu.be/HgGEWmeojN0
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Take a look at this video. It shows how to install rollers and permanently solve the issue of sticky slides.

https://youtu.be/HgGEWmeojN0
Frank.....thank you for that link....that's invaluable and something that I will most likely do to the two slides on my T.H. I'm not currently having slide issues, but I'm sure the day will come the more we use it.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel slides, slide