Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
rbev2308

LED running lights help

OK..First off, I have read the LED light section on here that lists all the places and type of bulbs. It has been a great help. Now my problem. After 30 years in the Navy doing and handling parts, I am stumped on my running lights. My Alpine has the 194 push in bulbs that I want to change out to LED. I have ordered all ones listed from companies in our thread but ordered the exact same bulbs from Amazon. Three separate orders all have had to be returned as the bulbs are too long to allow the lens cover to snap back in place. 2 of the 3 had erroneous links listed with respect to the dimensions. Heck you cannot tell which measurement is which in the link as one bulb it was the 3rd listed measurement and the other it was the 1st listed. My bulb is exactly 7/8" of an inch in length. I would think these are common size unless I have some weird lens cover. went to three local dealerships and only one had anything type 194 in stock and it was one that I had ordered and was too long. I even went into a dealership and pulled one off a fuzion and a montana and same size bulb as mine. Anyone who has changed out their 194 bulbs to LEDs and know for a fact yours are 7/8" or less, please let me know what you got. I am about to start looking for exact fit and larger lens covers as it appears easier to find! Thanks in advance!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:38 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I tried several LED replacements for the 194 bulb. One had a plastic sealed cover that I cut off to "make it fit" but those weren't bright enough for my satisfaction. I tried, like you, several types of LED's from Amazon and EBay without finding an assembly that would fit "under the clearance light cover.

Then I ran across these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't "Perfect" because they are "ultrabright" meaning they are "bluish" in color and appear "not exactly the same color" under the yellow clearance light covers. But, they fit, they are bright enough to be seen clearly and once all the trailer lights are changed out, the color difference is negligible.

I used a little di-electric grease (silicone grease) on the base of each LED assembly to help prevent any corrosion. They have been installed for about 4 months now with no problems.

As for the "dead links" and frustration finding acceptable LED assemblies, as rapidly as the electronics industry is "evolving" (read: changing) these days, it's a wonder any of us can find an identical replacement 6 months after purchasing an electronic item.

I think that you'll be satisfied with these in your clearance lights. Post your opinion if you do order them. Good Luck

ADDED: Most LED assemblies are polarity sensitive. They won't work if plugged in "backwards". To help get them installed properly without the hassle of going back and changing them if installed wrong, on your trailer umbilical, jumper between the two pins immediately next to the keyway. That will light all your clearance and tail lights so you can make sure the LED's are installed correctly "the first time up the ladder".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Try these, I replaced all my running/tail lights with LEDs. The clearance lense just plugs into the lamp socket and the LEDs are built into the lense.
https://www.amazon.com/Bargman-Light...bargman+lights
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
kampfitt

LED Tail & Marker Lights

I replaced the entire light $10 each! but muckh brighter and sealed no water problems any more!
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...connector/587/
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Tbos

Thanks for all the links everyone.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I tried several LED replacements for the 194 bulb. One had a plastic sealed cover that I cut off to "make it fit" but those weren't bright enough for my satisfaction. I tried, like you, several types of LED's from Amazon and EBay without finding an assembly that would fit "under the clearance light cover.

They aren't "Perfect" because they are "ultrabright" meaning they are "bluish" in color and appear "not exactly the same color" under the yellow clearance light covers. But, they fit, they are bright enough to be seen clearly and once all the trailer lights are changed out, the color difference is negligible.

I used a little di-electric grease (silicone grease) on the base of each LED assembly to help prevent any corrosion. They have been installed for about 4 months now with no problems.

As for the "dead links" and frustration finding acceptable LED assemblies, as rapidly as the electronics industry is "evolving" (read: changing) these days, it's a wonder any of us can find an identical replacement 6 months after purchasing an electronic item.

I think that you'll be satisfied with these in your clearance lights. Post your opinion if you do order them. Good Luck

ADDED: Most LED assemblies are polarity sensitive. They won't work if plugged in "backwards". To help get them installed properly without the hassle of going back and changing them if installed wrong, on your trailer umbilical, jumper between the two pins immediately next to the keyway. That will light all your clearance and tail lights so you can make sure the LED's are installed correctly "the first time up the ladder".....

I'll second these. Hard to beat getting 20 of them for $10. They worked great on our recent trip. And I learned they fit both my Dodge's map lights and also the map lights in my Yukon just fine, too, so the extras found homes in those fixtures. Great upgrade for all.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
rbev2308

[QUOTE=JRTJH;208610]I tried several LED replacements for the 194 bulb. One had a plastic sealed cover that I cut off to "make it fit" but those weren't bright enough for my satisfaction. I tried, like you, several types of LED's from Amazon and EBay without finding an assembly that would fit "under the clearance light cover.

Thanks John...ordered and received and finally something that fits. You are spot on with respect to the color but once you change them all, you really do not notice at that point.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
RK1978

I am also interested in changing my tail and running lights to LED's. Checked this link and supplier states unavailable and unknown when they will be available.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

My step light is the same as the running lights on my camper and I ordered a package of these to replace the incandescent bulb in it.

The other 9 were not enough to replace all the running lights, but I might order another package and do them too.

A friend of mine has a 2015 Laredo 23RB and it came from the factory with LED bulbs in the stop/tail lights.

He was having a problem with his trailer, hitting the brakes or turning on a turn signal would make all the lights blink and it turned out to be the LED bulb (maybe both) in the tail lights.

-Brian