Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
kegs

Campfire 26RB Keyed Alike option?

Sorry for the double post, as I posted this in the TravelTrailers forum. I didn't get much response there and noticed this "Questions" forum.

Our 26rb came with this option, basically the door key works all locks. However the leveling door lock is the generic 751 key? I would have thought it would have matched the others? Anyone else have the leveling door lock use the door key?
kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
PSD Andy

We just picked up our campfire 5th wheel 2 weeks ago the 29fwrl and all the locks use the same key except for the docking station where the water hookups are. A little annoying yes, but at least I wont be locking and unlocking that door near as many times as the others at least.
PSD Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
kegs

Well that answers that. Thank you for the reply!
Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #4
Tinner12002

I changed all my 751 locks to a round key on my Raptor so everyone doesn't access to my gear.
https://ch751.com/our-locks/locks/tu...lacement.html/
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 AM   #5
notanlines

When set up we simply leave the 751 key in the docking station door. I couldn't find any reason why not. Not much to steal in there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Enjoy the new rig.

The CH751 has been "the" universal key for everything from lawnmowers to campers, and golf-carts for as long as I can remember. There is really not much use in changing them out because the mounting areas are usually not really substantial. A cheap screwdriver would pry open most applications, and even the best of locks only keep honest people honest.

On higher end units, the only 751's are the outside shower and the level control access door. As Jim mentioned, for convenience, I leave a key in the level access door full time. It seems that my other 751 key is always in the truck, on the keyring when hooking/unhooking.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
kegs

Getting a matching lock from Keystone!

So I saw a recent Keystone video on youtube describing the cool feature of having only 1 key (with the keyed alike option). I thought why not post some feedback.

Short answer: dealer makes the request to Keystone for the no-charge part and boom! all my locks match.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
66joej

Pull Toy when I retired I went to work? at a golf course as a Ranger, Marshall, Player's Assistant, Pick it up you guys, or whatever we are called now. I did notice that the young Assistant Pros always made sure they gave out the right key for a particular cart. Thought it was amusing as all the keys were the same.
But as it turned out the numbering system was good because they knew those credit card to charge for the cart when we pulled it out of the river.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
kegs

Well the experience has been less than stellar

So Keystone sent me a new cam lock....well almost. They sent me part of a cam lock. Specifically the cylinder and the key. Why did they not send me the whole lock? Seems pretty obvious when you look at my pictures.

1. The dealer didn't think switching the lock would work, since the space between the door and the leveling keypad was very small.

2. SPECULATION -- Keystone doesn't put the keyed alike cam in these doors. They advertise like they do, but just ignore this one cam lock. If I was an attorney I would be tempted to consider a class action suit and or a letter to the attorney general for false advertising. But who has time for all of that nonsense, I just want my locks to be keyed alike "as advertised". A side note about false advertising, I paid for the "Camping Made Easy Package", which was supposed to include a battery disconnect. Well, that wasn't true either, the dealer said..."oh that only comes on the 5th wheels". And that is all fine IF Keystone and or the dealer would put a disclaimer in the documentation and or tell all prospective buyers this BEFORE purchase.

3. After a month I was tired of waiting on the dealer to get my the cam lock shell, I finally just bought one off ebay for $8. it was the whole cam lock, so I had to switch the cylinder. I suppose I could have looked harder to find a cam lock with the right key number, but again I was trying to cut the time suck down as much as I could.

So to get this to work I had to put a couple nylon washers behind the front of the lock and grid down the retaining screw on the back of the lock. I also had to grind off the little arm thing from the original lock, since the one I purchased didn't come with that piece.

Left: what Keystone sent me Right: what I had
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatTheySentMe.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	17018

Name:	20180616_090218.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	17019

Name:	20180616_090319.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	17020

Conclusion:
I'm ripping on Keystone pretty hard about this business because it's frustrating for me the consumer.
However, don't take this frustration as my overall feelings about Keystone or dealer service. I realize that I'm a human dealing with other humans and we're bound to make mistakes.

I still believe that Keystone was by far the best brand and the best value we encountered during our camper buying experience. I also think the dealer we purchased from is probably the best dealer in our area.

Well, hope this helps someone else.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegs View Post
So I saw a recent Keystone video on youtube describing the cool feature of having only 1 key (with the keyed alike option). I thought why not post some feedback.
If anyone is thinking "damn, wish I'd known about that when I bought" ... it's actually pretty easy (and not terribly expensive) to change all your door and storage compartment lock cylinders to use the same key. I did ours shortly after purchase and I'm really glad; fewer keys to keep track of, less fumbling for the right key in the dark, no generic CH751 keys that everyone has, and I have plenty of spare keys since they give you one with every lock cylinder you buy!

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote