Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2018, 03:15 AM   #21
Tinner12002

The only thing I'm going to say is that saving a couple dollars here, having to take the tires there because here won't mount or balance them just isn't worth it to me! One stop shop, pay their price and I'm out the door with all tires mounted, balanced and ready to roll. No muss no fuss! I'm retired and on a fixed income but I'm not going through all that just to save a couple dollars. Again that's just my opinion and the way I do things.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #22
Hodgy

Got a few discussions around Carlisle tires going on here I thought I would go and have a look to see how such a non Chinese name came to have factories overseas. Nothing to deep here but a good read anyways.

http://www.ctptransportationproducts...mpany-history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_Companies

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Essentially, Carlisle Tire Company did what many other manufacturing companies did. After Nixon opened trade relations with China, a number of American manufacturing companies took advantage of the cheap labor (manpower costs) and moved their manufacturing operations overseas. They did that to "offset labor costs" which were climbing in the US and other manufacturing sites. The "double edged sword" is whether they "insisted on quality" or whether they allowed the Chinese to make the goods and sell them as alternatives to "quality American products"...

Some companies did a good job and maintained quality in their products, some, not so much.....

If you look at RCA, Zenith, Admiral, all of their TV's used to be made in the US. Heck, even if you look at Sony and Pioneer, all of their "quality Japanese products are now stamped as "Hencho en Chine" (made in China).

Realistically, that's also why RAM trucks are now assembled in Mexico. Cheap Labor.

The difference in how Trailer King tires and Carlisle tires are manufactured is in who owns, manages the plant and whether there's oversight in daily operations. You get out of workers exactly how you manage the workforce and ingredients. If you have no supervision, you get things like lead paint (cheaper stuff) and inferior products. If you supervise the workers and manage the quality of their work, the products "should" mirror those manufactured in the US.

ADDED: Carlisle built their plant in China and run the daily operation of that plant to their standards. Trailer King outsources their products to a tire plant and buys them by the boatload expecting that tire plant to produce products to the stipulations of a contract. There is little supervision by Trailer King of the manufacturing process at the plant that produces their products. HUGE difference between the two competitors.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Hello folks,

Recently there was a lot of banter on a thread regarding use of the Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire - ST225/75R15 E/10 bought at WalMart for $67. My thread is not intended to re-open that debate. I will only say that I'm in the camp that the WalMart tires are likely taken from the same stack as would my local tire dealer.

Thanks to the forum as an exceptional resource, I accept that this tire is highly respected, and the price at WalMart is unbeatable. So I did my research.

My local WalMart doesn't have an Auto Service Dept. So I called my local Tire and Repair Shop that I have had all my vehicles serviced at for the last 20+ years. I asked him to quote me a price...$110 installed! I know the manager quite well from doing business with him for so long, and they usually have a price match guarantee. So I told him the Wally World price, and he was shocked saying that is cheaper than his cost.

His follow up then without me even prompting him, was to order them from Wally World and he would install them at no charge. He just asked that I tip the kid doing the installation.

No doubt I will be replacing the factory "Trailer Kings" (bought with TT this past Sept 2017) with the Carlisles very shortly before my trip south next month which is estimated to be a 3000 mile round trip!

Loyalty has its privileges!!!

Regards,
Mike
I had always bought my tires from my local tire guy. Owned the shop for decades, very knowledgeable and helpful. A couple of sets ago I decided I would just check around to see what was going on and he was high but went with him any way. This last set of Michelins I went to him again.

While he was talking to a customer I browsed through a catalog from a vendor for tires and found the tires I was looking for and noted the price. When I talked to him about the new Michelins he looked on the computer and told me $348 each. I told him that seemed high so he called his distributor and they confirmed their price. I told him the catalog on the table showed the same tire for $100 less. He just said "that's not our price".

I then checked at DT. Same tire was about $300 each but they would drop it to $250 each if I bought their insurance package....for $193 so it was a wash....BUT, when it was said and done they priced the tires at $200 ea. plus the insurance - a real deal.

All that to say that the price your local dealer quotes is probably based on whatever his distributor is charging him which is why he can't match WM. I called my guy back and told him I was going with DT because of the huge difference in price and that he should look for another distributor - don't know if he has or not.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go to NAPA or to any Car/Truck dealer parts department you'll find they have 5 or 6 price guides for each part they sell. The general public buys parts for 100%, private mechanic garages buy parts for 75%, Ford pays 50% for warranty replacements, etc....

Every wholesale business I've ever done business with has price lists that are negotiated as a part of the contract. When I had my own clinic I bought my medical supplies from a specific distributor. I always had their competition come in with lower prices if I'd sign a 1 year contract with them. Usually the items they were supplying were exactly the same with the same delivery times/charges. At the end of the year, we'd negotiate for the next year's pricing. It's all about what the tire distributor charges the shops in his area. Some get a discount for buying more tires, some get a discount for being closer (lower transportation/delivery costs) some get a discount because of a negotiated price. Bottom line, at least in my opinion, WalMart is getting a significantly lower price from the distributor so they're selling the tires cheaper. You can bet they are still making money on them or they wouldn't sell them. So, if DT is paying the same price, they're really REALLY making a profit and if the distributor is refusing to sell to DT for the same price as they sell to WalMart, it's time for DT to renegotiate their price list.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #26
shiresoft

My dad used to be a factory sales rep for different tire manufacturers over his carrier (Carlisle, Goodyear, Continental) and prices were based on quantity (e.g. how many they would commit to purchase of a particular tire and overall quantity) for a given time period (usually based upon a quarter). Some would get preferential pricing in order to "get the business" but in general there were pretty standard price sheets with a little "wiggle" room allowed for negotiations.

2018 Sprinter Campfire 29BH
2005 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0 Diesel
shiresoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #27
tlr6334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

Thanks Mike. I have pulled trailers before and just wondered about the 5.3. Most of my travels will be in the foothills around here and the Rockies to the West of us in BC. Even though my 1800 is relatively light, I know it will grow with every trinket we load in it.

The 1800 is good for the two of us and I will take it easy with my 5.3 and make it work.

What rear end do u have? Changed mine fron 3.08 to 3.42 changed truck to pull 9700 lbs. Tranny ran 15 to 20 degrees cooler, mileage is around 10mpg pulling a 36 ft cougar rd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
tlr6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #28
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr6334 View Post
What rear end do u have? Changed mine fron 3.08 to 3.42 changed truck to pull 9700 lbs. Tranny ran 15 to 20 degrees cooler, mileage is around 10mpg pulling a 36 ft cougar rd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

4.10, I put everything I thought people might want to know in my signature as shown below . . . . .

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Silverado Z-71, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #29
Banshee365

I purchased the F rated Radial Trail HD's after a 2 year old TK blew and obliterated the side of my 5er. I was going 65 mph with perfect pressures when it blew. Absolute garbage. The Radial Trail HD's are high quality tires. The F rated version that I put on my Cougar 5er is worlds more substantial. The TK's were more suited for a lawn mower trailer or something. Extremely thin and soft. I also replaced the valve stems with Ford N1600 valve stems so that I was more comfortable running the 95psi or so. The tires bulge so much less at the bottom than the TK's do. This means the tires will run much cooler as well as the sidewall and thread isn't flexing as much.
Banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #30
rogeru

I bought my 10,200 lb. Keystone Sprinter new in 2015, and traveled back and forth to Florida several times, (RT about 1900 miles). My 34 ft. 302RLS has never had a problem with the "stock" Trailer King tires. But, as an old retired bus driver, I check on them at every rest stop/fuel stop, and I keep the pressure at exactly 65 PSI. Also, I drive them at no more than 62 mph, as they are rated for 65. Used them 3 yrs., and just now changing them because of age, not wear. Going to go with Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis 8008 tires. Anybody have a factual opinion or experience with those brands of tires?
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #31
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
Hi, I'm one of those lucky TK tire owners.
Guess you call us LUCKY to/also. So far we gotten 4 years & pertnear 10,000 miles on our China Bomb TK's. Hoping to get 1 more year out of em. Oh! & on a side note, have run nuttin but China bombs on all 3 of our trailers (since '91) and as of yet have not had one explosion. Have run Marathons, Greenballs, Duro's, Tow Masters, Trailer Kings & probably other CB's thru out the years.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote