Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
JeLo

Florida state parks...

good evening,

we are trying for the first time to reserve sites in FL state parks for next winter and it's getting really frustrating. we know we can book 11 months in advance and we are flexible on dates but every morning at precisely 0800am we log in and no go, it's always sold out. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. The parks we are looking to book are John Pennecamp, Bahia Honda and Curry Hammock mainly because of good diving locations.

thanks!
JL
JeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
TomD1

I know we are in an online world but if it were me I would try the phone, they could give you the best advise.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
SummitPond

Welcome to ReserveAmerica! It's best to call - we've had little luck with their on-line system, too. And be careful, there's a hefty cancellation charge - so be sure of your dates.

If you decide to spend the night in NE FL as you enter the state (it's a long drive to the Keys) consider Hanna Park; it's a City park right on the ocean. I know there's an on-line reservation system but we've never tried it as the last time we stayed there we could call in direct to the park to reserve our spot.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
JeLo

called the parks but they can't help and said to call reserve America. tried calling them for hours with no luck. What I found weird is that before 0800am there is a few sites available online which I can't book before 0800am and when I try at 8 sharp, there are gone....

So I guess we'll book a private overcrowded campground and pay 3 times the price of a state park.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

JeLo,

Make reservations at that expensive private campground, but keep trying to book reservations where you really want to camp. Maybe, maybe not a site will come open when you're able to book it. If so, you can always cancel the private CG reservations. Even if you have a small cancellation fee, at 3 times the price, you'll still save money.

Don't give up, keep trying and "maybe".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
travelin texans

This has been the norm since most state & national parks went to Reserve America, but they've saved money not paying someone locally to man the phones. If you show up 1/2 the park will be empty , but still nothing available.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
XTeacher

My husband and I went through this last year to book a site at Bahia Honda. We'd have different sites ready to hit Submit on two different computers exactly at 8 a.m. Problem is that many others are doing the same. We've heard that some people even hire others to do it for them... It took us three months of doing it daily to finally score a site.

Another issue is that some of the S. FL parks are still closed following Hurricane Irma. Only one loop of Bahia Honda (and also the cabins) is currently open. Long Key SP is still closed to camping. This puts extra pressure on those trying to find camping reservations in the Keys.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
weaselz

Good luck!
weaselz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Bebo

We have booked twice through reserve America for site in Florida SP....both for different locations in the panhandle....didnt have any issues....as others mentioned, stick at it
Bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
wbdvt

I found that with Reserve America you need to have your site selected before the online time to make a reservation and then about 1 or 2 secs before 8am, start hitting the reserve button and you may get lucky.

I do hear you about sites being empty for days when it says full. This is particularly frustrating in RI and until the parks start cracking down on people making reservations and not showing up, nothing will change.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
first time 5er

I live in Florida and i can not get a site in the keys. The problem isn't the reservation system. People are "gaming" the system! after many hours of research i found a few facts.
First you can reserve a site in-person 1 year ahead of time therefore the site doesn't become available online. This years campers are already paying for next year.
Second there are a few "camping clubs" that reserve the sites electronically and then resell them within there club by changing the reservation information.
The real problem is you can spend the winter in the keys real cheap at the state park compared to staying at a private campground and now that a few are closed the private campground prices are going up.
In my opinion they should increase the rates, have a no refund policy, limit your stay to 2 weeks a year by your license plate and only take reservation online.

At least others like you and me could have a shot

This is not a isolated problem. They have the same issues with Yellowstone and few other popular parks

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
geobet

Like First Time Fiver, I too live in Florida. This isn't really a new problem. Been happening for years. We love our Snow Birds to death (especially the $$$ they pump into the Florida economy), but finding a spot most anywhere during snow bird season can be a real challenge. So much so, that we usually park the rig and do the maintenance and upkeep stuff until they drift back north usually in late March or April.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
JeLo

I got lucky this morning and was able to book a site at the Curry hammock park for 14 days! I probably hit that ''book now'' button 100 times between 0800 and 0801!!!

JL
Old 02-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #14
freejack6466

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Welcome to ReserveAmerica! It's best to call - we've had little luck with their on-line system, too. And be careful, there's a hefty cancellation charge - so be sure of your dates.

If you decide to spend the night in NE FL as you enter the state (it's a long drive to the Keys) consider Hanna Park; it's a City park right on the ocean. I know there's an on-line reservation system but we've never tried it as the last time we stayed there we could call in direct to the park to reserve our spot.

This is just the beginning of an exchange I had with someone on FB yesterday. For a fee he is offering reservations at any park on the Reserve America web site. I have the entire conversation if anyone is interested. He actually wanted my log in info and credit card number. What I got from it is that it is a web café and the entire staff bombards the RA site for all available spots at 759 each morning, Basically scalping state park camping reservations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freejack6466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
travelin texans

And bombarding your credit at the same time!! Surely you didn't fall for this scam?
Hope no one does, I'll make my own reservations THANK YOU!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
freejack6466

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And bombarding your credit at the same time!! Surely you didn't fall for this scam?
Hope no one does, I'll make my own reservations THANK YOU!

Oh, goodness no!

Old 02-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #17
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by freejack6466 View Post

This is just the beginning of an exchange I had with someone on FB yesterday. For a fee he is offering reservations at any park on the Reserve America web site. I have the entire conversation if anyone is interested. He actually wanted my log in info and credit card number. What I got from it is that it is a web café and the entire staff bombards the RA site for all available spots at 759 each morning, Basically scalping state park camping reservations...

Hopefully, you reported this to the state police and state parks dept.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #18
freejack6466

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Hopefully, you reported this to the state police and state parks dept.

I was told they are aware of this

Old 02-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #19
freejack6466

Quote:
I was told they are aware of this

Old 02-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
freejack6466

Quote:

This is just highlights of the exchange...