Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
I tell you this is more than just maintenance. this should be brought to the attention of NHTSA. Very un-cool! It's time these companies take responsibility for their unsafe equipment.

Mark
The only way to bring it to the attention of NHTSA is to have the problem. Since I haven't had the problem with my Cougar, I'm in no position to report the defect (or more appropriately the advanced wear). You have had the problem, have the evidence in hand as well as pictures and a first hand accounting of what happened with all the details of when, where, why, how, and time.

I think you have an excellent suggestion, but only you can report your findings. I urge you to do so.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #22
ocho

Depending on Keystones attitude and reaction to my situation, I will report this to NHTSA. Even if they fix this ill still report it. I have the pics, broken parts, and the mood to. But everyone should spread the word to others and have them check their suspension components. And, if a problem is found contact Keystone then NHTSA. Ill keep yall updated.....ocho
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
Wing-in-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only way to bring it to the attention of NHTSA is to have the problem. Since I haven't had the problem with my Cougar, I'm in no position to report the defect (or more appropriately the advanced wear). You have had the problem, have the evidence in hand as well as pictures and a first hand accounting of what happened with all the details of when, where, why, how, and time.

I think you have an excellent suggestion, but only you can report your findings. I urge you to do so.....
I agree with you 100% I was directing my post to the OP. And of course ANYONE else that has/had the same problem.

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #24
ocho

Does anyone know which kit I would need to replace all the components with greaseable fittings and wet bolts. I have tandem 7000 lb axles, on 35" centers.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
Does anyone know which kit I would need to replace all the components with greaseable fittings and wet bolts. I have tandem 7000 lb axles, on 35" centers.
ocho, This is a link to the manufacturers website. YOU have to measure what YOU have and decide. You will most likely find them cheaper elsewhere but while looking for proper fit and to get the correct part number it is best to go straight to the horses mouth. Their customer service is excellent too. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
ocho, This is a link to the manufacturers website. YOU have to measure what YOU have and decide. You will most likely find them cheaper elsewhere but while looking for proper fit and to get the correct part number it is best to go straight to the horses mouth. Their customer service is excellent too. JM2¢, Hank
Ok. Ill contact them directly. Cost isn't really an issue, I just want quality parts to replace the under capability of the current ones.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #27
Bob Landry

Thee is also a PDF on Dexter's site that shows you how to measure the bolt pattern of your setup and what to look for. After looking at everything here. it doesn't appear to be to daunting a task. I do think I would opt for the complete kit ready to bolt on rather than mess with pressing bushings out and in, especially having never done it before.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #28
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Thee is also a PDF on Dexter's site that shows you how to measure the bolt pattern of your setup and what to look for. After looking at everything here. it doesn't appear to be to daunting a task. I do think I would opt for the complete kit ready to bolt on rather than mess with pressing bushings out and in, especially having never done it before.
Bob, Even with the complete kit you have to insert the new bushings into the spring ends. You simply drive the old plastic bushing out using the new bronze bushing with the old bolt to pound on. It is not hard, especially since the plastic will be badly worn. The hardest part of the job is jacking and supporting the frame. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #29
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Bob, Even with the complete kit you have to insert the new bushings into the spring ends. You simply drive the old plastic bushing out using the new bronze bushing with the old bolt to pound on. It is not hard, especially since the plastic will be badly worn. The hardest part of the job is jacking and supporting the frame. Good luck, Hank
I plan on using a rented Ball Joint press for the bushings. Hand held and easy to use!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
Bob Landry

I just received a reply email from Keystone where as I asked them what brand equalizer I had on my axles. They came back with the name of Al-ko. I wasn't able to find a lot online, but called Dexter to see if their kit was a replacement. Didn't get a lot of info there either, so I suppose I need to go out and get measurements and see what matches up from Dexter. Since KS has probably used Lippert for years, I'm just wondering if anyone has run into any serious issues swapping these things out. I would think that if the measurements and the bolt patterns match up it should be a reasonable match. Right to wrong? It appears to be straight forward, but then I have been known to underestimate the complexity of a task.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
azlee56

Glad you posted this as we hadn't even thought about it. Told the man as he did the brakes to inspect this area too. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #32
wwrogerd

Broken Suspension

Do not know, but with my experience I have found broken hangers on 2 of my trailers have been due to road problems.. Specifically: transition at road to bridge. seems that my last experience was almost a 2" difference and the leading hanger was the one broken each time. When hitting this our seat belts locked up and I thought we were going to lose the trailer. Next thing I looked for was the mile marker and then the phone number of the State DOT. Just my thought
wwrogerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
Glad you posted this as we hadn't even thought about it. Told the man as he did the brakes to inspect this area too. Thanks.
Did they find anything?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #34
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrogerd View Post
Do not know, but with my experience I have found broken hangers on 2 of my trailers have been due to road problems.. Specifically: transition at road to bridge. seems that my last experience was almost a 2" difference and the leading hanger was the one broken each time. When hitting this our seat belts locked up and I thought we were going to lose the trailer. Next thing I looked for was the mile marker and then the phone number of the State DOT. Just my thought
I guess it would be safe to assume that my suspension parts could have weakened from the previous owner. But just in case I ordered the EZ-Flex Equalizer kit for it. Now with heaver tires and new suspension components, Im ready for the season.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #35
bdaniel

It should be against the law to put the cheap shackles and equalizer under RVs. If you tow a 5th wheel or TT more than a few thousand miles you are going to have problems. I had a 2002 Forest River Wildcat and had problems. This link describes problems I found before they became too severe:

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.p...pring-shackles

This one is a little more severe:
http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.p...shackles-again

Then I had broken springs:

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.p...broken-springs

I don't have photos but when I purchased our 2012 Keystone Copper Canyon I towed it home and did not move it again until I installed the Dexter EZ Flex kit. It contains bronze bushings, bolts that grease and the shackles are much thicker. It was the best $100 or so I ever spent.

A few hours ago we got our new 2014 Keystone 325SRX home and it is not going on the road again until it gets the same treatment. The standard suspension is good for a few thousand miles, but anything more requires an upgrade.

We logged 71,499 miles on the Wildcat. I have to check my travel diary, but the Copper Canyon logged close to 20,000 miles between May 2011 and now. I expect to put many more on the 325SRX.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #36
ocho

Bdaniel. Great info. Thanks. And im sure we all agree these rigs should be over-engineered so these issues dont happen. I as well have the Dexter ez-flex system on the way. Only then will i feel confident!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 AM   #37
abneynormal

well

the forums and over all dimension indicate a loss in height. look at he dexter mounting holes and their dimensions from each other
dexter ez flex
http://pl.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/i//K71-653-00.gif
now equa flex
https://images3.campingworld.com/Cam...000/62532n.jpg
note the distance between the top bushing and the 2 bottom ones vs the dexter. if you have the clearance then go for it. I opted to wet bolt he existing equaflex's that came with my raptor. due to cost and the fact that my tires are a little taller than the factory ones.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #38
DiverB

I haven't purchased my Fuzion 390 yet, is this something I'm going to have to address on the toy hauler as well since it's a keystone? I never had any suspension issues with my 07 Fleetwood Gearbox and I made 7 cross country trips and once to Alaska with it. Guess I was lucky...?
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #39
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
I haven't purchased my Fuzion 390 yet, is this something I'm going to have to address on the toy hauler as well since it's a keystone? I never had any suspension issues with my 07 Fleetwood Gearbox and I made 7 cross country trips and once to Alaska with it. Guess I was lucky...?

I would say you were lucky!

Most of ALL trailers have this problem!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #40
rweis

2014 Laredo 314 RE, had 4 months, had a repack of bearings done, virtually every spring package had broken leaves, hanger spring was FLAT on one package. WT?

My "new" 4 month old running gear looked like it had been beat to SH.. ! Old, rusted, broken, bolts heavily rusted, could not possibly be "new".

Went from 4 pack spring to 6 pack spring, axle rating from 4400 to 5200, brakes went from 10" to 12.5", all wet bolts, bushings were a delrin material not bronze, will have to keep a check on wear to see how they turn out.

Bob Weis
rweis is offline   Reply With Quote