Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #21
RETAFCHIEF

JRTJH: Why would the factory say there is one valve? The dealer had two people all over the bottom searching and I searched as well.To say there are reasons not to use one valve doesn't make another magically appear. I had a Flagstaff for 4 years and the factory did input through the forum. I did contact them directly and was passing on their response. Is that wrong? Insisting the members are incorrect is not consistent with a forum. "Newbies" ask questions and from what I've seen, the valve issue is a long-term problem. I guess we just ignore the problem instead of comparing notes. If the dealers can't find the valves and the factory rep says one valve, what is a "Newbie" to do?
RETAFCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETAFCHIEF View Post
JRTJH: Why would the factory say there is one valve? The dealer had two people all over the bottom searching and I searched as well.To say there are reasons not to use one valve doesn't make another magically appear. I had a Flagstaff for 4 years and the factory did input through the forum. I did contact them directly and was passing on their response. Is that wrong? Insisting the members are incorrect is not consistent with a forum. "Newbies" ask questions and from what I've seen, the valve issue is a long-term problem. I guess we just ignore the problem instead of comparing notes. If the dealers can't find the valves and the factory rep says one valve, what is a "Newbie" to do?
I'd urge you (or any other newbie) to work it out with the dealer, ask the question here, and accept the input from other members. It does no good to "yell and scream about Keystone" or to call the factory "incompetent" because you don't understand why they did something a particular way. Being frustrated is fine, just don't do it on this forum with the expectation that somehow, Keystone will "rush to your rescue"... It ain't gonna happen....

What's a newbie to do? Ask, listen, learn, talk to the dealer, contact Keystone, read the manual, compare other trailers to yours, an a host of other things. But expecting a response from Keystone on this forum isn't one of them....

To add to Jack's comments, to date (I haven't seen everything Keystone changes) all of their entry level and mid level trailers use "waste fluid tanks" that are the same size. So, if you have a 28 gallon black tank, you can expect to either have 28 gallons (one tank) or 56 gallons (2 tanks) for gray water. The same with a 34 gallon black tank, you'll find either 34 gallons or 68 gallons of gray capacity. Until now (2018 model year) those two gray tanks have had two valves, one for each tank. Until now, the problem has been whether they are tied to one outlet or whether one gray tank had a separate sewer hose connection (requiring a "Y" connector) on the sewer hose. To date, they have ALL had a valve on each tank outlet.

IF there is a change at Keystone and they are now installing a single gray tank valve (inside the coroplast covered basement) it is a new concept and one that I have not yet seen. Is it possible that they changed the plumbing layout? Yup, it is possible. Is it an "across the board on all brands" kind of change? Not that I can see. Several people with 2018 trailers built by Keystone have commented that they have two gray tank valves, so it's not uniform (if it is happening at all).

My "distant guess" (if I were to make one) would be that the extension rod and valve handle came loose on your trailer and fell off during transport from the factory to the dealer and the dealer "missed the handle replacement" on your trailer. I say this because you stated that there are two "gray valve" stickers on the side of your trailer, one on top of the other. That would not be the situation "IF" there was one handle, at least from this distance away from the trailer and making a guess. I'd think that somewhere on your coroplast is a "tiny slit" where the other valve handle was attached or on the frame rail up near the existing valve handle is a small hole where the other valve handle "used to be".

You can determine if there is one valve by simply running water in the bathroom sink and in the kitchen sink until both tanks are full. If no water is flowing out of the sewer hose, then you know both tanks are "closed by a valve or valves". Pull that "ONE HANDLE" and see if both tanks empty. If they do, then apparently Keystone changed their plumbing design. If, however, when you pull that single handle, only one tank empties, you'll know there's something "missing".

I sense your frustration, but directing that frustration toward Keystone by posting it on this forum won't resolve anything. It's like looking at the TV and yelling at your favorite team for making a mistake on the field. You might feel better, but you know that the players didn't hear you, no matter how loudly you yelled..... Same with Keystone and this forum.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #23
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

See post #13 From DocP Same year, same trailer. Your specs say 60 gallons grey water and that would indicate 2 grey tanks. DocP also states there were 2 grey handles. Since he holds the answer to this 32RLI mystery, maybe he would share where the 2 grey handles are located?

DocP, save us please!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #24
RETAFCHIEF

What did I do to upset anyone? I must have missed this part. "yell and scream about Keystone" or to call the factory "incompetent" because you don't understand why they did something a particular way." I am a reasonable person using facts to try and get an answer, nothing else. I find it sad that if you are not in-step with the Site Team you are criticized. I guess it is how things are in this forum. If you scold, so be it.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #25
notanlines

"See post #13 From DocP Same year, same trailer. Your specs say 60 gallons grey water and that would indicate 2 grey tanks. DocP also states there were 2 grey handles. Since he holds the answer to this 32RLI mystery, maybe he would share where the 2 grey handles are located?"

Chip, Doc has the same RV as which other member? The OP has a 2015 Hideout 27DBS. I believe the others have Cougars.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #26
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sorry for confusion. RETACHIEF, DocP has the same trailer as you, a 2018 Cougar 32RLI. See post 13 above in this thread.

Thanks, Jim.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #27
DocP

My Cougar 32RLI is currently at the dealer's having slide toppers installed. When I get it back I will post pictures of the 2 valve handles. They were about 2 feet in from the gray water main discharge. The one handle on the left of this pipe was very visible, and supposedly drains the kitchen sink. The other handle on the right was right up against the coroplast underbelly (easy to miss), and I'm told that it drains the bathroom sink and shower.

The specs say that the total gray water capacity is 60 gallons; implying 2 30-gallon tanks, each with their own valve. Again, I'll post pictures when I get the camper back.

- Mike
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #28
RETAFCHIEF

DocP, Are your gray water stickers both at the same place? Mine are applied together with one about 1/2 inch directly above the other. The unit is in a Toy Storage facility, inside, so I can't just go look at it.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #29
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETAFCHIEF View Post
DocP, Are your gray water stickers both at the same place? Mine are applied together with one about 1/2 inch directly above the other. The unit is in a Toy Storage facility, inside, so I can't just go look at it.
There are only 2 stickers as I am standing facing the side of the camper - the left one is "Black" and the right sticker is "Gray". I have seen other pictures of the 32RLI that had 2 Gray stickers (as you describe yours), one above the other, but mine only has one "Gray" sticker. That being said, there are 2 valves for the 2 gray tanks. That's all I know at this point, and I physically opened and closed both of them when I did my walk-through this past Friday. As mentioned, mine is at the dealer right now, and I will post a picture when I get it back.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #30
RETAFCHIEF

Thanks. We are planning a short local trip in April as a shakedown. I'm just trying to get the basics answered before then. Our last trailer had a 12 day first trip and besides minor stuff, it was trouble-free for 4 years.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #31
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
These are the spec's for a "27DBS"

Ext Width 8 ft
Ext Height 11 ft
Int Height 7 ft
Interior Color Maplecrest
Hitch Weight 865 lbs
Dry Weight 6505 lbs
Cargo Weight 1360 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 45 gals
Grey Water Capacity 38 gals
Black Water Capacity 32 gals
Tire Size ST205/75R14C
Furnace BTU 30000 btu
There is only one grey tank and only one grey tank drain handle.
That's what I found also, so with that being said, in my opinion there would only be one grey and one black tank based on the size of the fresh water capacity. I believe they, the manufacturers, try to use black and grey tanks that will at least hold the capacity of fresh water...not saying that's always the case but I believe that's the norm.
Toy haulers may be an exception to that.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #32
RETAFCHIEF

Here is the latest from my dealer: "Just an FYI, we have been building the 32RLI since the middle of last year. When we converted to that floorplan from the old 30RLI we were using a 2 valve gray tank system. I’m sure many of the original 32RLI models had the same tank architecture and plumbing as the trailer that it replaced on the initial production. There are many dealers who are low-volume sellers and it takes them a long time to sell their inventory. You could definitely have a buyer on a forum who may have just picked one up but it was built a long time ago."
Old 03-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

RETAFCHIEF,

Have you filled both gray water tanks and pulled the handle to see what happens ??? Inquiring minds want to know.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #34
RETAFCHIEF

My trailer is in an indoor storage facility until the end of the month. I know that would have been the way to tell, but I didn't get the chance as we are still winterized. I wouldn't fill them just add enough one at a time to verify flow. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #35
notanlines

For some reason or other I can't seem to get across that Waltheraustin is the OP, not RETAFCHIEF. I realize the problem is close, but not the same RV and not equipped the same. RETAFCHIEF should have his own thread and we should solve the problem of Waltheraustin first. No disrespect towards any posters, I'm just sayin'.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #36
RETAFCHIEF

No need for anybody to do anything for me. I just asked a question and unless I'm at my trailer there is no answer. The manufacturer, dealer, and countless others all have differing opinions. I'm just glad I was here when my house was built.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
maccam1

I just purchased a 2018 cougar ht 32rli in october,on my unit there is another grey tank release near the tires under the unit,it does not stick out so you can see it,you need to look up under for it
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #38
DocP

macaam1: That's consistent with my 32RLI, which just came off the production line on 2/28/18.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #39
RETAFCHIEF

So much for my dealer's explanation. If they say there is one valve and you can't find another one, what do you do? The PDI is for a new unit and the buyer doesn't have the answers or there would be no need for the PDI. I guess you buy a trailer and then tear it apart to see where things are.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Or: Take advantage of the "been there/done that/got the Tee shirt and the poster kind of experience and advice" from others on a "forum on the internet"

and ....... There's something to be said from someone who actually knows what they're telling someone versus the "candid advice" of a dealer's representative who has never actually seen the product but since you need an answer, here it is.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS