Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Bill Slayton

Unhappy 2016 Cougar keys

We are in the process of purchasing a 2016 Cougar 21RBSWE from a lady in the middle of a nasty divorce. Issue is that she has no keys for the unit. I will be forced to figure out myself how to have door and compartment keys made. Tacoma RV says i have to have complete new locks installed, cannot work off a VIN number. Can this be true?
Bill Slayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately the dealer is right. Key codes are not recorded, but there is a solution. If the compartments have a round silver lock, odds are they are a CH751 key, one of the most common keys for RV’s. As for the entry lock, you can buy a complete lock set from the dealer for about $35.00 and I bet he would be willing to use his “pass” key if the door is locked. If it’s dead bolted, you will have to drill the lock out. If the unit is “keyed alike” for the door and compartments you can still get a new key IF it ISNT deadbolted. Just have the dealer use his pass key, take the inside plate off the lock set and the code will be on a label.

Hope this gives you a starting point. There are a couple of different compartment locks, if you can post a pic, I can make an educated guess hat key it is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Bill Slayton

Thanks for the info chuckster57, i will be picking the trailer up Thursday. The main door and one compartment is unlocked so i should be able to use your suggestions. Will let you know. Initial thought was just to haul it to a locksmith and see what they can do.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

No need to "hire a locksmith"... just a #2 Phillips screwdriver and you can remove the inside plate from the lockset, there is a decal with the lock number inside that plate. You can order replacement keys by that code number from this website: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksK...placement-Keys

Unless you have "slam locks" on your access doors, they are probably CH751 keys. If you check, you probably have one or two on a "spare key chain" around your house. If you don't, you can order them from that same website. http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksK...ys/KEY-CH751_2

Cost for the RV door keys is $3 each and the CH751 is $2. Total should be around $10 for keys and shipping. A locksmith's bill would likely be over $100 for the same service. Trust me when I say that he's just going to pull the plate off the lockset, get the code and cut a key to fit.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Hmmmm.......middle of a nasty divorce? No keys? You ARE taking the necessary precautions to make sure that you don't get caught in the middle of something detrimental to you......aren't you?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Bill Slayton

Interesting comment sourdough. Likely TMI but the x-husband got the trailer in the divorce and then 4 months later committed suicide so the wife got the trailer back. He won't be bothering me.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Slayton View Post
Interesting comment sourdough. Likely TMI but the x-husband got the trailer in the divorce and then 4 months later committed suicide so the wife got the trailer back. He won't be bothering me.

I've heard of a few "nasty" divorce situations going sideways, ie: the trailer being sold out from under one party. The guy taking his life kind of puts a different spin on "nasty". Good luck.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
Bill Slayton

Just an update on question in this link. I located the key # from the back of the door latch as suggested by chucster57. Then i removed the compartment slam lock completely off the trailer (no key #) and took everything to our local locksmith. He had me fixed up and ready to go for lots less that than Tacoma RV estimated. Thanks All.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Nice to hear of a good outcome. Thanks for updating.

Tags
cougar