Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
XtremeDiesel

Verizon LTE Wifi offered in new Fuzion

Hi All,

New to the forum, I traded in my 311 Impact for a new 2018 Fuzion 371 and i pick it up next week . This one comes with the Verizon LTE 4g Wifi option. Question is has anyone else used this feature? Any issues? Is it worth it?

I searched the forum for "LTE" and "Verizon" but no luck.

Any info would be great.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe this

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...-4g-lte-router

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a Verizon JetPack router that we use in the trailer. It's OK when there is a 4G signal, otherwise, it's not a lot faster than dialup. But it does provide internet access in places where otherwise there would be none.

Keep in mind that it's about $50 monthly for 15 gigs on the "unlimited plan". That plan includes 15 gigs at 4G, then the access is throttled back to about 600 MB which is close to 3G service. There is also a monthly "access fee". For our plan, it's $20 monthly, so essentially we're paying $70 a month for "high speed access" which is limited to 15 GB monthly. That works for us, but trust me when I say there's no streaming TV or movies. One movie and you're "busted" for high speed access for the rest of the month.

The Verizon 4G modem is $100 with a 2 year contract, so depending on what Keystone charges for the option, it may be cheaper to just buy it locally and take the contract price since you're going to be "on contract" to get the unlimited internet plan anyway.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
XtremeDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have a Verizon JetPack router that we use in the trailer. It's OK when there is a 4G signal, otherwise, it's not a lot faster than dialup. But it does provide internet access in places where otherwise there would be none.

Keep in mind that it's about $50 monthly for 15 gigs on the "unlimited plan". That plan includes 15 gigs at 4G, then the access is throttled back to about 600 MB which is close to 3G service. There is also a monthly "access fee". For our plan, it's $20 monthly, so essentially we're paying $70 a month for "high speed access" which is limited to 15 GB monthly. That works for us, but trust me when I say there's no streaming TV or movies. One movie and you're "busted" for high speed access for the rest of the month.

The Verizon 4G modem is $100 with a 2 year contract, so depending on what Keystone charges for the option, it may be cheaper to just buy it locally and take the contract price since you're going to be "on contract" to get the unlimited internet plan anyway.....
I do not know yet what the Keystone plan looks like yet and thanks for the information.

I work for an IT company and plan on testing out if I can do my job remotely on the road. On the plan you have the 15GB cap would work for me I think, is mostly tending to emails and dialing into customer site a few times a week.

Thank you
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My DW teaches remote college courses and uses the JetPack to access her classroom software/lecture programs. She has never had any problem with amount of data with the 15 gig plan, but she doesn't do any new video presentations while on the road. She does answer student emails, access their work, grade it and annotate any comments. I'm also on the internet with this site as well as email and several other forums that I follow.

As long as you're not doing any facetime work or large video files you should be OK. The biggest problem with the "throttled back plan" is that it won't adequately support two or three devices. So if you exceed your data allowance and are at "throttle back speed" one person on one device can "manage to keep going" (it will be slower but will work). However, if two devices are accessing the internet at the slow rate, it gets painstakingly frustrating to move around the internet.

I would guess that Keystone doesn't have an access plan, rather they install the Verizon system and it's then up to you to go to Verizon to sign up for your own access plan from their available menu.

Since you're going to be the "guniea pig" on this new Keystone offering, once you figure it out, post the results so the rest of us can follow the new stuff......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
MattHelm21

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2017/09/ke...gard-connectt/

I think this is what you are going to have incorporated into your rig. The advantage is that it will allow you to bridge your preconfigured WiFi to a park WiFi network or if unavailable to a 4G LTE network(Verizon). You will have to sign it up or add it to your existing Verizon account as a connected device but when you have to have data it is a must. I’ve been in IT for some time and I’ve added a similar system to our trailer by WiFi Ranger so I can be connected when traveling. The Winegard system seems to be direct competition to that with the addition of the 4G LTE.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
Blizardj

Winegard Connect

My new '18 Fuzion 384 came with Winegard Connect. Don't know anything about Verizon. The winegard system can not be used with Verizon. You can only use Winegard data plan. Kind of pricey. It uses AT&T network.

However.... the WIFI booster which is part of the system, works great. Just used it at Davis Monthan AFB. We could not lock on there WIFI. But the Winegard system locked on no problem. Then we just signed on to the Winegard hotspot. Great system...

John
Blizardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Signguy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizardj View Post
My new '18 Fuzion 384 came with Winegard Connect. Don't know anything about Verizon. The winegard system can not be used with Verizon. You can only use Winegard data plan. Kind of pricey. It uses AT&T network.

However.... the WIFI booster which is part of the system, works great. Just used it at Davis Monthan AFB. We could not lock on there WIFI. But the Winegard system locked on no problem. Then we just signed on to the Winegard hotspot. Great system...

John
I bought a fuzion 427 last year and only had it a week before I put it in to storage. My boosters is in the cabinet above the bed. How do you turn it on?
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
MattHelm21

Quote:
You can only use Winegard data plan. Kind of pricey. It uses AT&T network.
I see that now. Being locked into their data plan is disappointing. Optionally, instead of enabling Winegard’s data plan(LTE), it is possible to use the one on a smartphone if you have one by turning it into a hotspot. Then the ConnecT can be used to connect to your cell phone via WiFi. That is what I do now with the WiFi ranger when I can get no other connectivity.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDiesel View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum, I traded in my 311 Impact for a new 2018 Fuzion 371 and i pick it up next week . This one comes with the Verizon LTE 4g Wifi option. Question is has anyone else used this feature? Any issues? Is it worth it?

I searched the forum for "LTE" and "Verizon" but no luck.

Any info would be great.
Not to get off-topic, but are you in Davie Florida?
Where are you buying the RV at? And do you stay in the RV or just use it to travel
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
XtremeDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Not to get off-topic, but are you in Davie Florida?
Where are you buying the RV at? And do you stay in the RV or just use it to travel

Yes I am in Davie Florida but keep my RV in Leesburg Florida, Bought it from Alliance Coach in Wildwood Florida. I use it to travel but plan on longer trips where I work while traveling.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDiesel View Post
Yes I am in Davie Florida but keep my RV in Leesburg Florida, Bought it from Alliance Coach in Wildwood Florida. I use it to travel but plan on longer trips where I work while traveling.
Oh OK cool.
We are from North Florida, but live full time right now In Davie Florida. Girlfriend goes to Nova Southeastern U. We both work here as well. Got a Fuzion FZ 420.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
XtremeDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Oh OK cool.
We are from North Florida, but live full time right now In Davie Florida. Girlfriend goes to Nova Southeastern U. We both work here as well. Got a Fuzion FZ 420.
Been reading your threads starting with "Total RV Newbie.... Be easy on me."

Were do you stay? I spent 6 weeks at Markham Park last year recovering from broken ribs with my Impact 311.

I live very close to Nova. I am on pine island and griffin.

I pick up my new rig this week and plan on dragging it down to Davie.. any advice of where I can camp for a good price near Davie? I also have 2 dogs.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
whcarr

I have a 2017 371 doe not have a Wi-Fi booster, am thinking of installing one. What is recommended
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
dcg9381

Ugh. The service for 10 GB - Winegard Internet Service - $80. Hardware (retail) is about $750.

I have a mifi device, pre-paid, I think 10GB is about $50. And I use the external device largely so I can put it on a high gain external antenna.

The best "deal" I've found on all of this is Project Fi, which requires an Android phone (limited models) - but it basically keeps the cell phone and all-you-can-eat data to under $100. And if you don't use much data, say like 1-2 GB, you're looking at a $30-$40 total bill.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
Blizardj

Mine is above the bed, drivers side.
On/off button is lower right side. If mounted the same as mine.

John
Blizardj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi, fuzion