Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
DaleSpring

Question Internet Options??

Hey ya'll!!!! So I have been searching for months to find some options and I am not really coming up with any answers. We (my husband, and our two daughter) will be starting our full time RV adventures in February! We are very excited about this change. We will be starting out close to home for 6 months and if all works out we will be packing up and moving over to Utah. Our daughters do online virtual schooling right now, which is a public homeschool with their books online basically. So I will be needing Internet, but with no phone lines how do you go about getting internet to the computer/laptops? I have heard about this thing called a "MIFI" from Verizon but I am not getting very many answers on this thing and how much it cost and data plans? Is "MIFI" the only thing out there? Is there another way to get internet without a phone line? Thank you for all the help!
DaleSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
MarkS

Internet Options??

There is a pretty good article on the FMCA web site https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/basic...net-to-go.html . It is a little dated now but will get you started.

The cheapest is using your cell phone as a personal hot spot.

Look at freedompop.com also. They have cheap MIFI, but limited coverage.

PS it is good to have a backup plan if you need wifi for school.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your not sitting in a campground with WiFi, then your options are limited to a "data" package from a cellular service or satellite service from Directv or dish if they offer it.

We try to stay at campgrounds that offer free WiFi, and those times we don't, we use "data" on our cell phones ( ATT). You can purchase a mobile "hot spot" and I think that's what Verizon's "MiFi" is, or you can make your smart phone a hot spot.

"Data" packages allow for high speed internet up to a preset limit. Even though our data is "unlimited", our speed is reduced once we reach 23 gigabytes during any billing cycle. If you choose to buy a hot spot device or make your phone a hot spot, make sure there is coverage in the areas your going stay. Cell service is a whole lot better than it was 10 years ago, but there are still "dead" spots.

I would take the time to visit the ATT and Verizon store and discuss your options.
I'm sure I've left out some information, but I hope I gave you a starting point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
DaleSpring

Thank you ill check out that website!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
DaleSpring

Thank you Chuckster57! I do appreciate all the information. I will go into Verizon and see what we can do about an unlimited plan. Your in good Ol' Modesto! about 15 min. south of us!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I saw that. I like Escalon, but we couldn't afford to buy there when we were looking. Bought our house in 2000 before the crash.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Mandolin

Check the coverage map for whoever you go with - we have a mifi (Verizon Jetpack) and a lot of the campgrounds we stay in are pretty remote and either don't have any cell service or it is quite poor. We do have a cell booster which helps out when we are down to poor quality 4G or 3G but if you are out in 1X land, pretty much nothing can improve to stream much of anything - particularly not video.

Since we almost always stay in county or state parks (occasionally NFS or national parks) there is never a camp-provided internet. You can go up on a site like rvparkreviews and look through the reviews of various sites and generally someone will mention what the status of the park's internet is or whether they were able to get signal via their phones/hotspot.

Take a look at what the streaming requirements of the homeschool website are, they'll tell you what the minimums required are.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You don't say what your full time plans would be as far as how/where you are going to be staying. Obviously, staying in a campground/park that has full hookups and free wifi would be good; especially with the kids being schooled. We use a DVD player with built in wifi in those locations - and that's where we like to stay generally if we need to stay in contact, which is almost always. If we don't have the wifi my Verizon cell is a hot spot, but, generally when I decide to get off the grid the cell service will be iffy. I have a friend across the valley here at our vacation house in the mountains and he keeps telling me about a "booster" he got from Verizon that really kicked up his signal and his hot spot ability. You might check those out if you are going to be trying to stay off the grid so to speak.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
DaleSpring

Mandolin thank you! I didn't think of checking the streaming requirements!
Old 09-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #10
DaleSpring

Sourdough. Yes full hookups in a long term campground for the first 6 months to get the kinks out. However they do not have wifi beings t is up in the hills, but does have cell service. I will check out the boosters though for sure because you never know if we will need it. Thank you for the help!!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #11
SteveC7010

WE have a Verizon MiFi hotspot in our ambulance which is used solely for transmission of EKG and vital signs data from our cardiac monitor to the hospital. We have a very limited data plan because these are very short transmissions, usually less than a minute, and not particularly frequent, perhaps 15-20 times a month. When we first got it, we accidentally let the password out and a couple of our people used the connection for some browsing. The overage cost was considerable. We changed the password and have not given it out to anyone.

The lesson that I want to pass on is that your data plan needs to be adequate for your usage. Verizon currently offers some unlimited data plans that might fit your needs. The one I just looked up is either $75 or $80 for a single line, depending on your need for unlimited streaming. There may be more useful info here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/verizon-plan/

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're in a "permanent campground" for a 6 month period, if they have cable TV, you might contact that cable provider to see if they also offer "internet service" for an extra price. It might benefit you to buy the modem and get faster, unlimited service if it's available.

Once you're on the road, either a cell phone "hot spot" or a "mifi hot spot" are your only viable options. Hughesnet satellite internet does not support a mobile system. There are just too many "fine adjustments" with the aiming of the dish. We have Hughesnet at our sticks and bricks house and I can assure you that knocking the snow off the dish is enough "aiming error" to cause the system to disconnect and start searching for the satellite. So, putting the dish on the roof of a travel trailer and walking around inside would likely cause a signal disruption. Not what you want when doing a long book report and losing the first 3 hours of work when the "satellite dumps".....

We use a Verizon mifi, just traded our "stone age edition" (2G/3G) for an upgraded 3G/4G system. We've used the old one for at least the last 10 years and have never been anywhere that we couldn't get at least a "good enough" connection to check email. As for streaming movies, well, we just don't go camping to sit inside and watch TV (do that at home not camping) so I can't address any problems with that type of use.

We're satisfied with Verizon's coverage and as I said, no problems in 10+ years with at least being able to check email. Typically, we get 4G service in most urban areas and at least 3G service in remote campgrounds. Some of the "remote campground" we use are 13 miles down a gravel "2 track" about 20 miles from the nearest town (200 people and one store) in the middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, at least 50 miles from the closest TV station and not a cell phone tower in sight. So, for us, that is a "remote area" and we still get Verizon "mifi" service. We've even had to resort to using internet to text messages when our cell phones wouldn't connect, so for us, it's an alternative to having a means to communicate, even when the cell phones don't have a signal....

In summary, I would try to obtain a cable internet for the next 6 months if it's available. Otherwise, I'd opt for a cell phone mifi device and use the cell phone "hot spot" as a backup for the mifi. I'd forget about even attempting a satellite internet system, they are just too "particular about aiming" to be useful.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Barbell

Go to 4G Community.org. They may not be accepting new members just yet but it is by far the best deal we have found. The website will explain it better than I can but we have been on it for almost a year and the cost is a fraction of what your wireless provider will charge. We have only found one place where it did not work and that was in the Colorado Rockies where there was no cell service at all. Our computers, phones and Roku all work just fine on it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
skippityboo

I use a mix of T-Mobile & Verizon but Ive mostly stayed to the East coast this year not sure how that will fair in Texas / New Mexico / Arizona (which is where I plan to winter)

One useful app you may want to check out is "Open Signal" (I have it on the iPhone, I assume its available on other systems)

It will give you a good indication of which networks have strong signals and where.
skippityboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippityboo View Post
I use a mix of T-Mobile & Verizon but Ive mostly stayed to the East coast this year not sure how that will fair in Texas / New Mexico / Arizona (which is where I plan to winter)

One useful app you may want to check out is "Open Signal" (I have it on the iPhone, I assume its available on other systems)

It will give you a good indication of which networks have strong signals and where.
From my experience Verizon will give you the best service in TX/NM/AZ. I've tried several but they have the best service all around.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
Tom T

We are doing the same thing. New 5th wheel living in Mcminnville OR working out the bugs. Then retire and RV fulltime. Just picked up VErizon Hot Spot and unlimited plan and one phone, I-pad and laptop. Used Google Chromecast to watch a football game via utube I could not get on networks in preseason. It works good. Signal drops sometimes but not an issue so far. LIke having security WPA2 and it's own IP address feels secure we bank online.
Tom T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #17
Dadmech

FYI as of 2018 They no longer provide internet service with membership.
U. S. Army Vet. 1972 - 1979
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Just to add a bit of info to this long dormant discussion, you can use Satellite Internet such as Hughesnet. See the following site for follow up:
https://www.mobilsat.com/Mobile-satellite-internet/

Not sure which equipment would be used by an RVer or what the cost but if you are camping rural a lot without a wifi or cable internet source and the hot spot doesn't have a great TV signal or bandwidth restrictions get in the way, Hughesnet offers 50 gig service with 25 meg download speed (in theory). We are rural and use Hughesnet and it is a lot better than the old Wildblue we once had. 50 gigs of data will allow you to stream Netflix movies...

Just tracked down a satellite internet antenna and they ain't cheap:
http://www.rvdatasat.com/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When I set up my dish satellite system, the rep on the phone mentioned that internet was coming.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, internet options, mifi, travling, verizon