Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
... he said! “It’s the law but we just haven’t started enforcing it yet.”
That is my biggest concern with advising new members on this forum to "go ahead and exceed your ratings"... Each state has different laws and each state has a different method of enforcing the law. What "works in Texas" may get you put in jail in Vermont and may get you fined in Michigan while it's ignored in Idaho....

I think (YMMV) that it's a "slippery slope" to advise anyone to ignore the manufacturer's limits on any vehicle. Without knowing their state laws, their personal financial situation, their business involvement, their insurance history, their vehicle condition (the list could go on forever) not a one of us is able to give them a "path to make it work" in their specific situation.

I can "legally" pull my boat behind my Cougar in Michigan with the current law, the maximum length is 75'. As soon as I cross into Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota or Wisconsin, I'm "technically illegal" since my combined length is 73'9". I've heard everything from, "If you're legal in your home state....." to "They don't go after out of state vehicles" to "You'll be impounded if they stop you and measure" and that list also goes on and on....

Truth is, on any given day, millions of people break the law and nothing happens. But, on any given day, a few people get "nailed" for breaking those same laws...... Which will you be on a given day? Somebody in another state, behind a keyboard is not the best person to be advising you on where you stand........ As I said, YMMV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Not to pry, but I am. Are those numbers per year to renew your licence plate tag ?

They include property tax on the vehicle...
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #23
Hodgy

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #24
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

Save some for me!
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #25
Ken / Claudia

A couple points, All trucks under 26,001 lbs have the GVWR rating inserted into the VIN or at least did up until I stopped checking them in 2010. I went to Oregon DMV at a point after years of seeing thousands not willing to pay their proper fees. I wrote out how all they needed to do was look at the VIN code and know the GVWR, then common sense would be to tell the owner the vehicle is rated for xxxx and they should pay for that much unless they only transport a light light product etc that would never put them to the max. They said that would take to much time, it is the responsibility of the owner to declare the weight. The job of the police to enforce it. Then the police become the bad guys when DMV did not do a job they should have. But, I have found insurance companies do a better job then DMV.
I had this same talk with a friend last year. He has a f550 size truck to haul paint, He licensed it at a lower than GVWR weight and his insunrece co. told him he needed to license it at the correct weight fees which cost him about 200 more per year.
I standby my 1st post. Maybe they just add axles out west on trucks over 26,001. Many do and the GVWR is higher and enforced at the combo of axles. Drive out here you will see a dump truck that came as a 3 axle and now has 5, A cement truck, log truck, fuel truck, may have several extra, some maybe ordered that way? But, the ones I checked where add ons. They proudly pointed out the higher PUC fees they paid. And left the scales without over weight tickets.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
There are a couple questions I would like to ask those who say the door tag is a legal weight limit. Let me check your reading comprehension.

1. What is the exact wording and what does that wording mean?
2. The sticker states a certain tire and air pressure yet the vehicle comes from the factory with a different size tire then stated on the sticker.
A. Is it legal?
B. Why or why not?
3. A farmer buys a ‘17 F150 and while loading a big round bale the grabber drops the bale and crushes the cab. The dealer wants a outrageous price for a new cab so the farmer goes to a local junk yard and finds a ‘17 F250/350 cab which is the same for a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted for a new one. He mounts it on his F150 chassis but doesn’t like the color so he paints the cab to the color of the fenders and bed of the F150.
A. Can he legally drive that vehicle as the sticker color doesn’t match the actual color?
B. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the engine code nor transmission code doesn’t match the engine or transmission?
C. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the axle code doesn’t match the axle?
D. Can he legally drive the vehicle because of the GVWR?

Again what is the exact wording of the sticker and what does that wording mean?

Pass the popcorn please!

I guess my point is that the stickers (yellow, white, blue, green etc.) have your GAWR and GVWR on it. Those are important, significant numbers - some folks try to abide by them, some don't.

As far as the rest of the "questions", it appears you are confusing the designations from a VIN vs the legal limits of the drivetrain/chassis. I have built heavily modified vehicles - special use vehicles. Never gave a thought about GAWR/GVWR/GCVWR simply because I knew I wouldn't be using the vehicle to place me near any of the maximums. AND, the only thing/someone that was going to get hurt if things went south was me, not me, friends and unknown persons when a 10-20k lb. trailer went sailing along on its own, with or without me. Obviously YMMV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #27
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess my point is that the stickers (yellow, white, blue, green etc.) have your GAWR and GVWR on it. Those are important, significant numbers - some folks try to abide by them, some don't.

As far as the rest of the "questions", it appears you are confusing the designations from a VIN vs the legal limits of the drivetrain/chassis. I have built heavily modified vehicles - special use vehicles. Never gave a thought about GAWR/GVWR/GCVWR simply because I knew I wouldn't be using the vehicle to place me near any of the maximums. AND, the only thing/someone that was going to get hurt if things went south was me, not me, friends and unknown persons when a 10-20k lb. trailer went sailing along on its own, with or without me. Obviously YMMV.
Nope. I’m just simply asking some common sense, real world questions and I AM expecting answers from the folks who come on here pretending to be authorities on the topic. I numbered my questions so they can answer them in sequence to make it easy for them. Until then I consider their advice as nothing more then passing gas.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #28
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
They include property tax on the vehicle...
Property tax on a vehicle? You're kidding right?
Colorado is pretty but there would have to be a great job or family to keep me there.
Texas real estate taxes are terrible. But no income tax.
They are all going to get the money they want somehow though. I just don't want to give them another revenue source.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Property tax on a vehicle? You're kidding right?
Colorado is pretty but there would have to be a great job or family to keep me there.
Texas real estate taxes are terrible. But no income tax.
They are all going to get the money they want somehow though. I just don't want to give them another revenue source.
That's what it was when I lived there... It didn't bother me much because Texas had just dropped the property tax on autos and boats... so I was kind of used to it.. only difference was Colorado collected it up front on the tags and Texas sent you a bill...
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #30
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
States register vehicles different ways, I know in Washington you can register to a higher GVWR, than listed on the VIN sticker. That is the GVWR for the vehicle not a combined weight of truck and trailer.
I have not dug into it in Oregon yet.
The yellow idiot sticker is only of value when looking at a new TV on the dealers lot! Once in the hands of the owner stuff added or removed from the TV change that number.
What you saying is the lady behind the counter can at the county office has the authority to change you GVWR set by the design engineers. So if I have an F250 and register for 14,000 pounds that would exceed not only GVWR but the tire and axle rating that's on Federal Compliance Sticker that required by the Federal Government. Remember, According to the federal highway traffic safety admin. 49 CFR 567.7 says that a trailer or truck GVWR certification cannot be changed once the vehicle has been titled. I'm from Washington and good friend of mine is a sheriff and he ran through legal and that is GCWR and you can NOT exceed the manufacturer specs of the truck or trailer. It's hard for me to believe that some lady that has been working at the county office for couple months had the knowledge to increase GVWR of trucks by thousands of pounds that as assigned by engineers working at the factory that actually did the testing.

Yes the yellow sticker is worth anything and only used to compare trucks on the lot. The federal complance sticker is what you go by the day you drive it off the lot.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
CWSWine

Quote:
There are a couple questions I would like to ask those who say the door tag is a legal weight limit. Let me check your reading comprehension.

1. What is the exact wording and what does that wording mean?
2. The sticker states a certain tire and air pressure yet the vehicle comes from the factory with a different size tire then stated on the sticker.
A. Is it legal?
B. Why or why not?
3. A farmer buys a ‘17 F150 and while loading a big round bale the grabber drops the bale and crushes the cab. The dealer wants a outrageous price for a new cab so the farmer goes to a local junk yard and finds a ‘17 F250/350 cab which is the same for a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted for a new one. He mounts it on his F150 chassis but doesn’t like the color so he paints the cab to the color of the fenders and bed of the F150.
A. Can he legally drive that vehicle as the sticker color doesn’t match the actual color?
B. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the engine code nor transmission code doesn’t match the engine or transmission?
C. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the axle code doesn’t match the axle?
D. Can he legally drive the vehicle because of the GVWR?

Again what is the exact wording of the sticker and what does that wording mean?

Pass the popcorn please!
I sat on trial a few years ago the guy had put lift and mud tires on pickup and a nice rainy day he couldn't stop and slammed into the back of a car at a stoplight. The jury I was on assigned 40 percent of the cause of the accident to oversize tires and 40 percent to drive to fast for conditions. They appealed the case and verdict stood. It was explained to us when you modify a vehicle and drive it on public streets you assume the responsibility for the modifaction. Tires weren't illegal but it was proven that they contributed to the accident though a expert witness. Hint - you never what to end up in court and put your future in the hands of a jury if you can avoid it.

The guy was pushed into on coming traffic and lot an arm and leg and had over 500,000 in hospital bills. He got 1.5 million and they guy in the truck was only covered for 250,000 basic insurance.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #32
CWSWine

Quote:
Nope. I’m just simply asking some common sense, real world questions and I AM expecting answers from the folks who come on here pretending to be authorities on the topic. I numbered my questions so they can answer them in sequence to make it easy for them. Until then I consider their advice as nothing more then passing gas.

Here you go......

http://www.personalinjuryclaimsblawg...ity-for-rvers/

Here is what the people that build trucks has say about GVWR.

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...-weight-rating

This is in the user manual and the towing guides for Ford and very clear to me no common sense needed.

Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Here the link --- https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...DtyPU_Sep9.pdf
Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Here you go......

Not sure what that has to do with Colorado property tax on tags... but thanks...
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #34
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Not sure what that has to do with Colorado property tax on tags... but thanks...
Sorry I missed quote, you are right and fixed...
Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #35
rhagfo

Quote:
I sat on trial a few years ago the guy had put lift and mud tires on pickup and a nice rainy day he couldn't stop and slammed into the back of a car at a stoplight. The jury I was on assigned 40 percent of the cause of the accident to oversize tires and 40 percent to drive to fast for conditions. They appealed the case and verdict stood. It was explained to us when you modify a vehicle and drive it on public streets you assume the responsibility for the modifaction. Tires weren't illegal but it was proven that they contributed to the accident though a expert witness. Hint - you never what to end up in court and put your future in the hands of a jury if you can avoid it.

The guy was pushed into on coming traffic and lot an arm and leg and had over 500,000 in hospital bills. He got 1.5 million and they guy in the truck was only covered for 250,000 basic insurance.
I am a little confused, usually if you rear end someone you are 100% at fault! Unless you can prove that the other driver pulled directly in front of you and slammed on the brakes!
Why was the case in court anyway? Other than the serious injury to the other driver.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #36
madmaxmutt

Yup, it includes fleecing er uh I mean "owner's tax".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #37
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Here you go......

This is in the user manual and the towing guides for Ford and very clear to me no common sense needed.

Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Here the link --- https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...DtyPU_Sep9.pdf
Oh,oh! No reading comprehension skills. You couldn’t understand to answer the questions so you didn’t even answer the first question. The sticker on the door post... what does it say exactly? What does it mean? That is the one required by law, They can say anything elsewhere, even pull a space shuttle. Until you answer question number one I suggest you use some type deodorant because your gas is foul.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #38
Pull Toy

Like my ol' gran'pappy used to say "PUT PEARLS AND LIPSTICK ON A PIGLET, IT'S STILL A PIGLET!"

The old adage still applies THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK!

from a Former LEO!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #39
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am a little confused, usually if you rear end someone you are 100% at fault! Unless you can prove that the other driver pulled directly in front of you and slammed on the brakes!
Why was the case in court anyway? Other than the serious injury to the other driver.
You are correct. That’s the problem. We have folks on juries who have no clue or don’t care what the law says. But the internet allows the most ignorant to become instant experts.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #40
Javi

Quote:
Oh,oh! No reading comprehension skills. You couldn’t understand to answer the questions so you didn’t even answer the first question. The sticker on the door post... what does it say exactly? What does it mean? That is the one required by law, They can say anything elsewhere, even pull a space shuttle. Until you answer question number one I suggest you use some type deodorant because your gas is foul.
Troll

Javi

Tags
tow, towing