Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Nice tool. Thanks.
Between the hitch and adapter,generator,12 gal gas can(for gen),2 boxes of DEF and myself and DW along with misc. items (personal items,cold drinks,phone chargers ect...) i calculated the total payload (in the truck) at 1000 lbs.(high estimate). Sticker on the truck reads 3822 available payload. I assume the calculator figured in the pin weight as entered and I know that is subject to change. My calculations showed I have close to 800 lbs. of available payload.
I also know I do not have the trailer at max load. The calculator estimated the GCVWR just over 3500 lbs. below the max for my TV. And that is calculating a "full" trailer.
So I am happy with the numbers of this calculator. Now to the scales next trip out and we shall see the real numbers. I'm fully aware that my surpluses can be gobbled up by reality,but it's nice to be ahead of the curve.
RMc
Well depending on the stuff you carry (we have a below rail tool box) you might be surprised what it weighs.

Our Ram 3500 DRW has a door sticker of 5,411# Payload. Ready to tow all our stuff and fuel in it, we weigh 9,950# so we have lost 1,361# of payload.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #22
captcolour

Calculator is pretty good but a few changes would make it even better. First it should include definitions of the terms and where to find these weights for both the truck and trailer.

Little things would make it better like it asks unloaded weight for RV then loaded weight. Should ask unloaded weight and then how much cargo weight you are adding with examples. Let the spreadsheet calculate the total loaded weight.

Same for total truck plus RV combined GCVWR. Should just calculate it from separate entry.

I still think something like this should be a sticky in a few places on this forum.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #23
mtofell

It's a good tool - OP, thanks for posting.

I agree a couple tweaks and some more information about the weights would be nice. Having been at this for 20 years I really didn't learn anything I could't have figured out with a pencil and paper in less time. People who could/would learn, likely don't know enough about the numbers to input accurate data.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Like much of the way we live these days, seems a few are falling into the trap of "knowing enough to use a tool without learning how to use it".....

If you go to the original link (the correct one) and look at the top of the page, just like this forum, there's a series of tabs that will take you to "added features". Things like, "How to use this towing calculator", "How to understand the restrictions on your truck, your trailer, your hitch. There's even a section called, "NEWBIE INFO"... (imagine that)....

Like so much of today's life, "If it's not on the first page, it must not exist".... Not always true. Spend a couple minutes on that website and you'll find that EVERY TERM and EVERY BLANK are completely and fully explained.... Just not on the same page. It's "kinda hard" to put 5 pages of information on a one page calculator"

Anyone can get to the "real results" if they use the tool. But, like reading the new "best selling novel" If you turn to the last page, read the ending, you'll never understand what happened or how they did it...... Same with that towing calculator that Salsaman1a posted.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
No thanks, don't need more regulations, laws, or taxes.
Well it sure would solve a lot of stress for new buyers. Doesn't have to be a law but it could be a marketing prop for dealers. The ones using it could say that they'll fit the perfect RV for you needs.
Instead of selling TT/5er's that're too heavy for new buyers tow vehicles and making the buyer PO'd after the sale.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Well it sure would solve a lot of stress for new buyers. Doesn't have to be a law but it could be a marketing prop for dealers. The ones using it could say that they'll fit the perfect RV for you needs.
Instead of selling TT/5er's that're too heavy for new buyers tow vehicles and making the buyer PO'd after the sale.
Rv sales is just like any other sales, they change sales people as often as you or I changes shorts. So do you really think any of them give a rats patootie if your PO'd, they made the sale which is their ultimate goal & that sales person is gone without any record of what they may or may not of told you about towing with your vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Rv sales is just like any other sales, they change sales people as often as you or I changes shorts. So do you really think any of them give a rats patootie if your PO'd, they made the sale which is their ultimate goal & that sales person is gone without any record of what they may or may not of told you about towing with your vehicle.
Well I think it would be a good thing for sellers to run potential buyers through. I see way too many buyers thinking because they have a 3/4 ton truck with the big diesel engine they can carry/tow a big 5er. About the only thing they know is if it sags "BAG IT", they don't know what their tires and wheels can carry, just inflate to 80 psi the Max on the sidewall and go!
There are those that know their weights, and know tire and wheel capacities and stay within those even if over GVWR.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #28
Laredo Tugger

You may find out what you really know about tire weights and wheel capacities when the jury comes back with a verdict against you for knowingly being over GVWR. Over is over.
I'm not sure you can make a case to justify that tactic. With a really good lawyer maybe. But I guarantee the money you will spend for him would have got you the right TV in the first place.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #29
LeeB43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Is there a similar calculator for travel trailers?

2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS
2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 Short Bed
2019 Keystone Bullet UltraLite 220RBIwe (traded)
2018 GMC Canyon Denali CrewCab 4x4 Short Bed (traded)
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 220RBSL (traded)
LeeB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #30
Carrottop

I have a good excel sheet for TT. Just Private message me and I will forward it to you.

John
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #31
KeithBook

correct link is

http://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/new-tow-calc.aspx
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #32
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
There is nothing wrong with a law that is well written, reasonable, and enforceable. This would not cause any taxes or extra costs. I guess regulation=law?

Generally I think his sentiment was that this could help make the roads safer for everyone, those towing, and those around them. I am sure you have driven enough on american roads to recognize that although everyone out there allegedly passed a driving test and got their license, they are not all intelligent smart people properly taking safety into account. Perhaps, when towing combined rigs approaching or exceeding 20k# there should be an extra simple step as an idiot check?
As long as the idiots proposing new regs take an extra step or two as well.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #33
CaptnJohn

I watched a salesman at CW get his butt tore up by a customer when told he would not sell him a 5er as he planned to pull it with his 1500 GMC. Customer made a scene (and a fool of himself) then went a few miles away a bought a 35' 5er, not a light model either. The salesman tried to explain with people and hitch he had about 1000# of payload left and the dry hitch weight was over 1800#. The next dealer installed Firestone bags ~~ I know the tech there that installed them.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #34
xrated

Here is another great site for doing towing/payload calculations....

https://fifthwheelst.com

When the page loads, click on the link at the top called "4 step weight safety plan.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #35
Genek

On a recent 7 month trip I saw plenty of large toy hauling 5rs (38, 40, 42 ft) being towed by single axle trucks. In other words the GVWR was either 11,500 or 11,800. No way were these rigs under the limits by a long shot. Not trying to start an argument ...just an observation. My Montana RL3120 with a GVWR of 16,000 and TV F350 dually rated at 14,000 GVWR passes with some room to spare but not a lot.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #36
lindy46

Amazing how complicated things have gotten. When I was young back in the 60's, we'd see a camper we liked, buy it, hitch it up to the car/truck, and away we went. Of course, campers were small and cars/trucks had a lot less technology to deal with. I remember I had a 1966 Chevy pickup with a 6 cylinder engine and stick shift. I saw a little pickup camper I liked, went and bought it, loaded it up and away I went. Didn't really think about whether the truck could handle it. We drove that rig all over the country with little problem and didn't worry about it. I guess when you're young, you are more carefree and don't let things worry you like they do when you get older.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy46 View Post
Amazing how complicated things have gotten. When I was young back in the 60's, we'd see a camper we liked, buy it, hitch it up to the car/truck, and away we went. Of course, campers were small and cars/trucks had a lot less technology to deal with. I remember I had a 1966 Chevy pickup with a 6 cylinder engine and stick shift. I saw a little pickup camper I liked, went and bought it, loaded it up and away I went. Didn't really think about whether the truck could handle it. We drove that rig all over the country with little problem and didn't worry about it. I guess when you're young, you are more carefree and don't let things worry you like they do when you get older.
In todays society everyone has a lawyer ready to sue someone/anyone for any little thing, ie. hot coffee at McDonalds! So our mentality has become CYA or have it sued off!! Truly sad!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #38
cookinwitdiesel

While yes, our society has become very litigious, on the McDonald's example, she literally was put in the hospital and had to get reconstructive surgery because the coffee burns were so severe - not something to laugh about really.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #39
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genek View Post
On a recent 7 month trip I saw plenty of large toy hauling 5rs (38, 40, 42 ft) being towed by single axle trucks. In other words the GVWR was either 11,500 or 11,800. No way were these rigs under the limits by a long shot. Not trying to start an argument ...just an observation. My Montana RL3120 with a GVWR of 16,000 and TV F350 dually rated at 14,000 GVWR passes with some room to spare but not a lot.
Two possibilities for the above....
1. They either don't know what they don't know!
2. They know....and they just don't give a damn!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing