Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Butchy

Dometic Air Conditioner Issue

Folks,
Here is a copy of an email I sent to Dometic about a problem with my rear AC unit. They have been VERY responsive but I do not think their solution of having the cover replaced (under warranty) will solve the problem. Has anyone else experienced this with a "Blizzard NXT" AC? I see that they have recently replaced the cover style so that water cannot leak as I describe below.

To Dometic:
I recently purchased a Montana 3160RL 5th wheel with two Dometic AC units. I have only been on two trips but on both The rear unit leaks water into the RV through the return ducts only after a rain storm. The dealer worked on it and said they tightened the mounting bolts but it still leaks. I hate to say this but I believe there is a design flaw with the cover of this model and inside housing. The clam shell cover is designed so that the top section fits inside the bottom section allowing rain to enter in the front of the unit. This water puddles up and seeps or is pulled under the inside foam housing. After performing a test with a garden hose I believe the vacuum created by the operation of the fan housing is sucking the water into the return chamber housing. Once inside the housing it has several paths to leak into the return duct.

Tests I have performed include spraying water around the front cover of the unit with the unit operating. Inside the RV you can hear water “gurgling” until you turn the unit off then a flood comes through the return ducts. Also in Florida today, and several times since I owned the RV, we had a heavy rain WITHOUT the unit running, no water inside…
Old 09-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

When the last hurricane came through it brought a lot of wind with 11" of rain. When I checked the 5er I found maybe 3ozof water over 3 days that had dropped on the island from an AC vent. Could not find any in any other area. Have not been able to find any since or to replicate.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
CaptnJohn

Re: Dometic Air Conditioner Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
When the last hurricane came through it brought a lot of wind with 11" of rain. When I checked the 5er I found maybe 3ozof water over 3 days that had dropped on the island from an AC vent. Could not find any in any other area. Have not been able to find any since or to replicate.
I found the same without the AC running ~~ 5er was in storage. Wind / rain combo is all I could come up with.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 12-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Bowlesj

Re: Dometic Air Conditioner Issue

I have the fix for this problem. Dealers, Keystone, and Dometic are typically useless on this matter. Heartland, on the other hand has it figured out. I will post the whole thing as soon as I get to a PC.

A new top cover from Dometic would be nice as long as I don't have to haul the unit to a dealer.

John

2016 3820fk
Bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Bowlesj

Atfeller,

You caught me at a good time, good internet!

Sorry your having trouble. I've got the post prepared below. Not sure if the pictures will post. If not, I may have to re-post or edit as required to get everything shown. The pics are important.

Start of copied MOC post starting now:

There are a variety of model numbers with this design. Ours is a 541916. I think the marketing name is Blizzard NXT 15,000BTU. The unit looks like this. This unit is typically installed in the rear position but I have worked on Heartlands that have them in both front and back. The only way to know you have water intrusion is to hose your A/C down and remove the inlet grills and filter. You can reach a finger into the outboard aft corners of the opening and feel for water but I recommend using a flashlight and mirror to have a peek in the duct. Have a bucket in place just in case.

Water can get in from rain through the seam shown in the next image below. There is no flashing (overlap) designed into the top cover and rain can run directly into the inside bay where the A/C equipment resides. This in it's self would not be so bad as there are plenty of drain holes outside the roof seal. However, the designers failed to recognize that they have alternate mounting holes that can end up inside the return air duct on most installations.

Dometic recommends sealing these mounting holes along with raising any harnesses in the area so they do not lay in puddles. All I have seen are fine on the harness. This work is accomplished after removing the forward styrofoam upper insulation and will require replacement of the sealing tape and putty. See the image below for the 2 areas as indicated by the 2 outboard arrows. The 2 inboard arrows mark the area where I do additional sealing as explained below. (Vehicle forward is down in the image.)

I'll try to explain why you need to seal underneath, inside the duct as well as best I can. There are 2 layers of plastic here about 3/8" apart vertically. The mounting hole is drilled through both layers. Then a rivnut is installed in the top layer only and the lower shank of the rivnut protrudes into the lower hole but does not fill it. Water gets between these 2 layers and is able to drip past the rivnut shank into the bottom hole and thus into the return air duct. The RV techs I've spoke with have only sealed the upper hole and said they have had no returns. However, one tech that works at a dealer had the opportunity to test one after sealing and sure enough it was wet in the duct, much less but still wet. He convinced his boss to let him add the extra sealant I had discussed with him previously and further testing saw no water. I never advocate sealing a leak from the exit but you really have no choice on this case and there is very little pressure built up by the pooling water. So, in this last image you can see the additional silicone added to the underside of the mounting hole which is actually in the upper aft corner of the return duct. Hope this all makes some sense for those interested.

As far as warped roofs? Maybe, but this is a problem for sure if this A/C unit is installed.

John

Old 12-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Atfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlesj View Post
Atfeller,

You caught me at a good time, good internet!

Sorry your having trouble. I've got the post prepared below. Not sure if the pictures will post. If not, I may have to re-post or edit as required to get everything shown. The pics are important.

Start of copied MOC post starting now:

There are a variety of model numbers with this design. Ours is a 541916. I think the marketing name is Blizzard NXT 15,000BTU. The unit looks like this. This unit is typically installed in the rear position but I have worked on Heartlands that have them in both front and back. The only way to know you have water intrusion is to hose your A/C down and remove the inlet grills and filter. You can reach a finger into the outboard aft corners of the opening and feel for water but I recommend using a flashlight and mirror to have a peek in the duct. Have a bucket in place just in case.

Water can get in from rain through the seam shown in the next image below. There is no flashing (overlap) designed into the top cover and rain can run directly into the inside bay where the A/C equipment resides. This in it's self would not be so bad as there are plenty of drain holes outside the roof seal. However, the designers failed to recognize that they have alternate mounting holes that can end up inside the return air duct on most installations.

Dometic recommends sealing these mounting holes along with raising any harnesses in the area so they do not lay in puddles. All I have seen are fine on the harness. This work is accomplished after removing the forward styrofoam upper insulation and will require replacement of the sealing tape and putty. See the image below for the 2 areas as indicated by the 2 outboard arrows. The 2 inboard arrows mark the area where I do additional sealing as explained below. (Vehicle forward is down in the image.)

I'll try to explain why you need to seal underneath, inside the duct as well as best I can. There are 2 layers of plastic here about 3/8" apart vertically. The mounting hole is drilled through both layers. Then a rivnut is installed in the top layer only and the lower shank of the rivnut protrudes into the lower hole but does not fill it. Water gets between these 2 layers and is able to drip past the rivnut shank into the bottom hole and thus into the return air duct. The RV techs I've spoke with have only sealed the upper hole and said they have had no returns. However, one tech that works at a dealer had the opportunity to test one after sealing and sure enough it was wet in the duct, much less but still wet. He convinced his boss to let him add the extra sealant I had discussed with him previously and further testing saw no water. I never advocate sealing a leak from the exit but you really have no choice on this case and there is very little pressure built up by the pooling water. So, in this last image you can see the additional silicone added to the underside of the mounting hole which is actually in the upper aft corner of the return duct. Hope this all makes some sense for those interested.

As far as warped roofs? Maybe, but this is a problem for sure if this A/C unit is installed.

John

Thank you soo much... our rig is at the dealership again for the 3rd time, and they are scratching their heads... we have the fully ducted system and during heavy rain water comes through the ac intake...very frustrating... thankfully we keep our fifth wheel at our house so we can inspect.it every time we have a down pour... we ended up.having to.put a tarp over the ac to help prevent more water coming in...they said that the one mount bolt was a little loose but we still.kept getting water in the rig. Do you think that the cover too and how it fits could still be an issue..
Thanks again for the info
Alan
Atfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Atfeller

Hi John, sorry didn't see the pictures on the thread
Old 09-21-2016, 02:49 AM   #8
Butchy

I am convinced that my leak will occur any time during a rainstorm if the AC is running. The cover is designed improperly allowing water to leak into the cooling unit. If the fan is running the return section sucks the water inside the fan compartment and into the return duct. Dometic is going to replace the cover. I hope they send the new design that prevents the problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Mine was NOT running but in storage when the water was noticed.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 11-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
dglsrichmond64

Smile Re: Dometic Air Conditioner Issue

Hey Butchy, I have the same AC unit on my 16 3820FK. i had a Dometic tech look at mine, and my unit was not properly installed over the 14x14 hole 2 weeks ago it rained really hard and i had the rear AC on and the problem has not been resolved, it still leaks in through the cool air return if the AC is on.
dglsrichmond64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
Atfeller

Thanks so much John for posting the pictures. I also went on the other forum too and was shocked at how many other people have the same problem. The dealership did drill more holes the last go around but we still had water leaking during the last heavy rainfall. Waiting for the dealership to look at it again. They have had it over a week and still haven't looked at it and we have another heavy rainfall this weekend. Thankfully its covered and secured with tarp... I'm sure it must be coming from the gaps in the plastic that you had mentioned. So you put gorilla tape over the seam of the ac cover that covers the bottom cover correct? Thanks again for your help. Hopefully it will get fixed soon
Old 12-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
Bowlesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfeller View Post
So you put gorilla tape over the seam of the ac cover that covers the bottom cover correct?
Yes, I did add the clear tape over the seam between the top and bottom cover as an extra precaution after I thoroughly water tested the sealant job. Some people I have helped have chose not to add the tape with no further problems but that equipment bay isn't designed to be a wet bay.

John
Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #13
Atfeller

Hoping to get our camper back soon and will be testing it. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
Atfeller

Gaps around seam cover

Got our camper back. Indeed John was right. Technician looked at the rivnut/bolts and saw where the bolts had started to turn rusty and could see where some of the water was entering the ac to the inside. Placed silicone as John described around bolts and underneath.
When I got the camper back I checked the clam cover and was amazed at the gaps between the bottom and top cover compared to the other ac at the front of our camper. Applied gorilla tape and will see if the problem is fixed in the next heavy rain. It's raining steady and light today and no problems so far. Keeping fingers crossed..
Check out the before and after pics of the seam gaps compared to the other ac at the front of our camper/bedroom area..
I will be contacting montana and dometic to advise of the design fault and see if this cover can be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161231_123757.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	11690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161231_124232.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	11691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_133258.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	11692  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
Atfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchy View Post
Folks,
Here is a copy of an email I sent to Dometic about a problem with my rear AC unit. They have been VERY responsive but I do not think their solution of having the cover replaced (under warranty) will solve the problem. Has anyone else experienced this with a "Blizzard NXT" AC? I see that they have recently replaced the cover style so that water cannot leak as I describe below.

To Dometic:
I recently purchased a Montana 3160RL 5th wheel with two Dometic AC units. I have only been on two trips but on both The rear unit leaks water into the RV through the return ducts only after a rain storm. The dealer worked on it and said they tightened the mounting bolts but it still leaks. I hate to say this but I believe there is a design flaw with the cover of this model and inside housing. The clam shell cover is designed so that the top section fits inside the bottom section allowing rain to enter in the front of the unit. This water puddles up and seeps or is pulled under the inside foam housing. After performing a test with a garden hose I believe the vacuum created by the operation of the fan housing is sucking the water into the return chamber housing. Once inside the housing it has several paths to leak into the return duct.

Tests I have performed include spraying water around the front cover of the unit with the unit operating. Inside the RV you can hear water “gurgling” until you turn the unit off then a flood comes through the return ducts. Also in Florida today, and several times since I owned the RV, we had a heavy rain WITHOUT the unit running, no water inside…
You mentioned in your post that they have recently replaced the cover style for the ac. Would I contact the dealership to initiate the request or dometic themselves. Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
Bowlesj

Atfeller,

Glad to see it appears you have your leak stopped. Also, your tape job looks much better than mine.

As far as the replacement cover. I just communicated today with Dometic customer support on the cover flashing. The rep said they have not redesigned this at all and the model in their showroom looks exactly like ours. Regardless, they said they will send a replacement cover in hopes it will fit better.

So, I am not sure what Butchy was talking about concerning an improved cover design, maybe a whole different A/C unit.

I am hopeful I can modify the new cover to add some sheet metal flashing with rivets and sealant. Might be tricky with all the compound curves but will see.

A lot of unanswered questions as far as WTH they were thinking but it doesn't seem like a fix is imminent.

John - 3820FK
Old 04-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
_MP_

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO! We purchased our 2017 3950BR in October, and had this happen to us today for the first time. AC was not running, but we had a drip from a screw head on one of the inside return vents. we have two of the Blizzard NXT 15k BTU units. I will try this fix when the rain stops.

This design flaw needs to be fixed ASAP.
_MP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #18
Butchy

Read through this link.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...d.php?p=217768
Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
battlebeetle

Updates on long term effectiveness of fix?

Just finding this thread, although I am having the exact same problem with water leaking through the intake vents in my 2016 Montana. I took it to the dealership 8/2016 and they drilled the extra drain holes in the pan but it still leaks every time it rains and the AC is running and it's past the 1 year warranty now. Worried about long term water damage. Any updates on how well the posted fix in this thread has worked? Or any other fixes that worked? At this point I'm considering just ponying up for a new AC of a different brand.

Clay
battlebeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlebeetle View Post
Just ... I took it to the dealership 8/2016 and they drilled the extra drain holes in the pan but it still leaks every time it rains and the AC is running and it's past the 1 year warranty now...
Clay
Your trailer has a one year warranty, the air conditioner has a 2 year Dometic warranty. If the problem is the installation, that ends with the trailer's 1 year. If the problem is a defect with the A/C, it will be covered for another year. However I'd suspect that Dometic wouldn't consider water damage to be their responsibility. Either way, it's best to have your dealership fix it or replace it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, dometic, montana 3610rl