Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #21
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
This is a topic not talked about but likely one of the most important. I ran across an item a while back that I've debated but never thought about sharing here, not sure why it didn't cross my mind. I'm not sure how well it works but in the midst of those most familiar with fire in likely to get some good feedback. Check out this YouTube video. https://youtu.be/Xu3g9mIfBWo

Certainly interesting..... this is the first I've heard of these. From what I can see, about $400 for just the tube that goes in the refrigerator compartment, makes these out of reach for most..... especially since they age out in a few years.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #22
5J's

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
Certainly interesting..... this is the first I've heard of these. From what I can see, about $400 for just the tube that goes in the refrigerator compartment, makes these out of reach for most..... especially since they age out in a few years.
Yep, there is definitely a benefit\cost ratio to consider. It is hard to swallow and I'm curious about the time issue. I could not see the cost benefit in replacing them every couple of years. May be buy a set and pray you never need them and as your running out the door two years later hope they work.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #23
Nicculi

My parents were lucky to have the forethought to have a few extra extinguishers with them last year. A neighboring camper(boondocking) let his fire get a bit too large during cotton season(cottonwood trees). Their 5er had flames all around and under it. The culprits pounded on the side of their rig, and my dad was quick enough to grab an extinguisher,(at 11pm) and knock down the big flames, and finally grabbed his outside shower nozzle and got the rest. Luckily he was quick on his toes, and was able to keep a cool head. Saved their trailer, and possibly the whole campground
Nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #24
the406life

As a firefighter myself, my experiences with RV fires have been the same as yours. First thing I do with a new camper is replace the provided extinguisher with a quality one. I do however leave it mounted inside the trailer where I can get it quickly.
My thoughts on it are like this. I don't give a rat's butt about the RV itself. I want a quality extinguisher inside the RV where I can access it quickly. If my RV catches on fire while my family is inside it I want an extinguisher capable of providing a means of egress for my family and myself.

In short, I'm using the extinguisher to make sure I get my wife and kids kicked outside to safety, jumping ship myself, and then watch the sucker burn. I have insurance and don't care if it burns to the ground. I've already had a fifth wheel destroyed by cartwheeling in the ditch and it wasn't that big of a deal from an insurance/replacement standpoint.

Use the extinguisher to provide egress for your family and yourself, then watch it burn.
If I'm towing our trailer and it catches fire, I have an extinguisher in my truck. I'm using it to make sure I can get my truck unhooked, then I'm gonna watch it burn. I'm not breathing that crap to try saving it.

Even if I could stop the fire in my RV, if it's bigger than a toaster fire or frying pan fire, I don't want to put it out. I don't want it repaired and returned to me. We all know those things are built as cheaply and lightly as possible. Once they have significant damage, I don't want it back. Let the insurance pay for it and I'll go buy a new one.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 AM   #25
Eric MP

"Better" (?) Fire Extinguishers?

Thanks for your post. Based on the answers..... I have see a need for additional fire extinguishers. Now.....my Q due to your career. Any recommendations on portable extinguishers? In particular, maybe, brands to avoid? Thanks, Eric MP
Eric MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:49 AM   #26
the406life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric MP View Post
Thanks for your post. Based on the answers..... I have see a need for additional fire extinguishers. Now.....my Q due to your career. Any recommendations on portable extinguishers? In particular, maybe, brands to avoid? Thanks, Eric MP
I purchase AMEREX brand extinguishers from a local company that sells and services fire suppression systems.
Inside our travel trailer I keep a 5lb 2A 10BC rated extinguisher at each end of the trailer. In my truck I keep a 10lb 4A 80BC rated extinguisher.
The 5lb Amerex extinguishers can be had for usually about $65 each and the 10lb ones are usually right at $100 give or take a couple bucks.
I believe that Kidde makes a decent rechargeable extinguisher that come in a 2-pack at Home Depot for about $70. Badger also makes good quality stuff.
Keep in mind these extinguishers are refillable for reuse after they have been discharged. They should also be tested and serviced at recommended intervals.
More important than staying away from a certain brand, I just stay away from crappy cheap disposable extinguishers.

Before you consider going to Costco, Walmart, Lowes etc. and buying disposable extinguishers go talk to your local company that sells fire suppression systems and safety gear. Ask them to tell you some disposable extinguisher horror stories. They will have extensive examples of why disposable ones are garbage.
Remember the chemical in an ABC extinguisher is powder and will settle/pack into the bottom of the extinguisher under the vibration of traveling. After a road trip turn them upside down and give them a shake to unsettle it.
You can also use a rubber mallet to give the bottom a couple good smacks while it’s upside down.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote