Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Lluker

dinette table top

Has anyone else found a problem with the table top curling/warping in their Keystone Travel trailer?
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
2011 keystone

Sounds like a moisture problem.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Lluker

dinette table top

One would think if it were a moisture prob. it would show up elsewhere in the trailer.... mould or mildew in soft fabrics.... didn't? It is particle board too so what the hey?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Lluker,

I'm not sure what RV you have, but there has been a documented problem with the "hi-lo" moveable table in the Springdale line. The same table is used in other lines as well so I'd suppose, if you have one of these tables, you've got the same problem as a number of us. Essentially, the tabletop bows in the middle and isn't flat. It's not a "warping" or "moisture swelling" kind of problem, just that the table top bends in the middle.

There is a thread on this forum about the situation and some of the resolutions. If you're still in warranty, the dealer should replace it for you. If you're out of warranty, some people have used 3/4" plywood, others have bolted brackets under the center of the table to push it back straight.

If this is your problem, just search for warped table and you should find the threads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Lluker

warped table

So this is a repeating problem, in or out of warranty.... so why didn't Keystone fix the problem or at least offer to replace the table tops at a reduced price for those of us out of warranty, just good P.R. move. When I called them I was told this problem was news to them???? I did say the dealer I purchased from knew of the problems and because our '08 was out of warranty I would have to deal with the company so that is why I called. Can't seem to win here???!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Lluker

we have a 2008 Passport 285RLS...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Lluker

Were you able to get some response from the company re this table problem? If people are not reporting it that's one thing but if it has been reported, what was done is what is important. When the company says this is not a problem they know about, not specifically related to the Passport, but generally, what the heck is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lluker,

I'm not sure what RV you have, but there has been a documented problem with the "hi-lo" moveable table in the Springdale line. The same table is used in other lines as well so I'd suppose, if you have one of these tables, you've got the same problem as a number of us. Essentially, the tabletop bows in the middle and isn't flat. It's not a "warping" or "moisture swelling" kind of problem, just that the table top bends in the middle.

There is a thread on this forum about the situation and some of the resolutions. If you're still in warranty, the dealer should replace it for you. If you're out of warranty, some people have used 3/4" plywood, others have bolted brackets under the center of the table to push it back straight.

If this is your problem, just search for warped table and you should find the threads.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Unfortunately, your warranty expired 3 years ago and predictably, Keystone is telling you that "it is no longer our problem". I am not sure if there is any way of finding out just how many customers have reported the problem with warped tables to them or what their response has been. If it was preported within the warranty period, one would expect that both the dealer and Keystone would take care of it.
FYI, some members have had a positive response from Keystone regarding peeling decals - also a fairly common problem. Quite a few of these have been out-of-warranty which indicates that just because the warranty has expired, Keystone doesn't always deny claims. I realize your problem is different but, if approached in the right manner, it is possible that Keystone might do something for you.
Hopefully, you will be able to work out something with them but if not, check the posts or ask for suggestions on a DIY.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Philip Saran

I hope you find a solution with Keystone, but if not try contacting a
company that makes countertops and see if they will make you a new
table. I did it with a previous TT (much older) and it turned out very
nice.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't done anything with my tabletop. It bows slightly in the middle, but when you think about having a 3/4" piece of "glue and sawdust" (MDF) being used as a part of the bed base, especially the part that is supposed to support exactly where you sit to get in bed, I'm just waiting for ours to crack, then I'll replace it with a piece of hardwood plywood. Better looking table (in my opinion) and certainly stronger for its "bed frame duty"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

If you flip the top over when the trailer is in storage it will straighten itself out. .......... I guess some weight on the middle might speed up the process. It worked for me than I moved the legs closer together and it doesn't bend anymore. Hank ............. (I don't use it as a bed that would bend any table)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Hank, the table we're talking about is a hi-lo table with a bunch of steel "garbage" under it. The hinges and the mechanism can't be moved closer together, I even tried to reinforce it with a piece of angle iron down the middle. That just banged knees when trying to sit down.

Turning it upside down would help, thanks for that hint, but I'm still in awe that one of my "larger than life" relatives hasn't sat down on the floor (right through the tabtop) while getting into bed. I cringe every time someone sits on the middle of the table expecting it to buckle and crack, but so far, it's held up.... I won't say "held up well" just "held up"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Hank, the table we're talking about is a hi-lo table with a bunch of steel "garbage" under it. The hinges and the mechanism can't be moved closer together, I even tried to reinforce it with a piece of angle iron down the middle. That just banged knees when trying to sit down.

Turning it upside down would help, thanks for that hint, but I'm still in awe that one of my "larger than life" relatives hasn't sat down on the floor (right through the tabtop) while getting into bed. I cringe every time someone sits on the middle of the table expecting it to buckle and crack, but so far, it's held up.... I won't say "held up well" just "held up"
Maybe I'm lucky to have the old booth dinette table stuck on two posts. Even though I got rid of the booth.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Lluker

Ok, now I am already on my floor over this description... thank you for the laugh... I got a call from Keystone customer service rep yesterday following up my purchase of our trailer, asking for my opinion of the dealer's service and was I satisfied with my trailer and lots of other questions re services.... Well now, I told this person of my concerns re the table top and was then asked if wished to speak to a management person and I said yes please. She would pass this on in her report and I should be contacted by someone from Keystone management..... we shall see.

Quote:

Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluker View Post
Ok, now I am already on my floor over this description... thank you for the laugh... I got a call from Keystone customer service rep yesterday following up my purchase of our trailer, asking for my opinion of the dealer's service and was I satisfied with my trailer and lots of other questions re services.... Well now, I told this person of my concerns re the table top and was then asked if wished to speak to a management person and I said yes please. She would pass this on in her report and I should be contacted by someone from Keystone management..... we shall see.
Lluker,

We bought out 2011 trailer in October 2010. I contacted Keystone customer service, Robyne couldn't answer my questions (construction issues) and asked if I would like to speak to managment. I answered yes, and was told that she would elevate my concern and someone would contact me. Well, it was almost a year later before I got the call. In fact it was so suprising that I posted on here that it occurred... So, I'd urge you to not hold your breath waiting for that call, it may be a year or more before you recieve it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
karl

Hi I have a 2010 passport ultra lite 25bh.
My table has the same issue.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
golfpro

when I worked at the Keystone dealers, we had several table tops come in bad from the factory. had large cracks in them. had to replace them of course. So will say yes to your question.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
Lluker

So Karl, did you use that table as a drop down bed? And did you report this issue to your dealer?
I can not believe Keystone's rep on the phone claims they aren't aware of this issue....ARGH!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Desert Beacon

I bought a new 2012 Bullet from Camping World in January. The dinette table has warped considerably, though slowly, during the past couple of months while the trailer has been resting in a shaded parking space on our property. My dealer is 250 miles away (none closer). I hope that I'll just get a quick and hassle free replacement. Am I overly optimistic?
Desert Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
Lluker

Desert Beacon I hope you receive prompt service and the dealer gets the go ahead from the company to "REPLACE" your table but..... I also hope the replacement is not made of the same material... please let us know what the response at your dealer is.