Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
tweetzone86

New here, and have an issue I need help with

Hello all!

My husband and I finally joined the rv world and purchased a 2019 Keystone Hideout 26lhswe on June 11th, 2019.

So...we are living in it on our property while we build our house. Summers can reach triple digits even this far north, and we had a great first week. Then...

We bought a honda EU3000is generator, and like I said the first week was beautiful. We were able to run our ac, fridge (on battery I think, though the auto light was on and is now off-more in a minute), electronics (laptop, tablet, charge phones-didn't get a tv for this rv). Water pump, etc.

Well, fast forward a week. We only use non-ethanol gasoline in the generator. We've been getting 15 hours solid running the ac full time (and again, being able to use other things too).

Now, the ac runs for a little bit, but the generator keeps turning off. It does the overload, then shuts off completely. I've even popped the breaker on the converter, turned off everything in the rv, unplugged, everything, etc and it's still doing it.

I can't figure out if it is a problem with my ac, the rv, or the generator. This is a $2,300 generator it should not be crapping out after one week. And this is a brand new rv that worked like a dream the first week-in theory, it should not be causing an issue either.

So does anyone have any ideas as to WHY the ac keeps overloading the generator? I didn't think it drew more power than the generator, and like I said, everything worked just fine the first week.

Completely baffled, high temps are coming, and we NEED this to work so we can stop running out to turn the generator back on multiple times a day.

(Also, the eco throttle is off, the choke is completely into the generator, the ac fan is on low (we aren't even attempting high fan), the oil and gas are full, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I gotta figure out which one is busted/not working so I can take it to the repair shop. This is absurd that after one week we're already having power issues
tweetzone86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

Some questions that might help troubleshoot:

Do you have the standard 30 amp service with a single AC unit or the optional 50 amp service with a second AC?

Is your AC unit 13500 BTUs or 15000?

The refrigerator is either AC or propane. In the AUTO mode it automatically switches to electric mode when it is available. Have you tried switching it to manually to propane only?

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Wyldfire

Need to reduce power consumption. I would start by turning fridge to propane only. Also running AC on hi only makes it more efficient and less likely to freeze up compressor. If your fridge and AC compressors both start to cycle up at same time you are having to great of request for power.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Logan X

Are you trying to run other big appliances like the water heater on electric or the microwave at the same time?
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Are you trying to run other big appliances like the water heater on electric or the microwave at the same time?
I forgot ask about the water heater. Also, the charger/controller for your battery or batteries draws a lot of power when it is recharging them.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Your generator will only put out about 23A continuously. Your AC will draw maybe 16A when the compressor kicks in (that's for one). It's possible you've been drawing too much for all the "other" things and caused an issue. If you've ran the AC continuously for an extended period trying to run on low current/voltage you may have damaged the compressor - sort of like trying to run it during a "brown out".

As others have said, HWH needs to be on propane, don't use items like hair dryers/curlers or other hi draw items with the AC on.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
Wyldfire

The 3000 generator is pretty much maxed out starting the air conditioner compressor. It will not be able to handle a second large power call so water heater, coffee pot,I microwave, hair dryer, fridge are all no goes when AC is running.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
Harleydodge

Just a guess here (and I know you said the oil level is fine) but is the low oil light coming on just before the Genny quits? You would almost need to watch the generator constantly until it quits to actually know.
Also, make sure the generator is sitting on a level surface.

We have an older EU2000 that is VERY sensitive to oil level, and will do as you describe if it's not completely full of oil and fairly level.

I would almost suspect a faulty level indicator if all the above checks out.
Is it possible for you to borrow, or try a different generator to see if your issue persists?

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
KeithInUpstateNY

On the generator end, you said you've been getting 15 hours solid with the AC on. Did you do the required oil change at 20 hours and every hundred hours after that and the other maintenance per the manual?

I keep a spread sheet and log the start and stop time of my generator every day so I know when maintenance is due

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
busterbrown

That Honda is a very nice (albeit expensive) generaor. But it also may be underpowered for your extreme application. The AC power draw from the RV is the biggest hog on the system and will continue to be as the summer heat rages on. Concurrent use of other appliances will trip the generator often, depending on if the AC compressor is cycling. I owned a 3100 Champion and tested it last year. It worked well with the 15K BTU Dometic rooftop unit but with no other load. Once another electrical source was introduced, the generator would trip often.

As we had a big trip coming up in the spring, I knew I didn't want to deal with overload issues in the southwest. So, I sold the Champion and bought a 4500 peak watt Westinghouse Inverter generator that is able to run almost anything we throw at it. Using the microwave, AC, refrigerator, converter, TVs as well as all our personal electronics never incurred an overload event for the three weeks we used it in the desert. The best part of this generator is its massive 3.4 gallon fuel tank and wireless remote start.

You may want to "invest" in a larger generator. That Honda will hold its value nicely so you won't take a big hit.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 AM   #11
Roscommon48

YOU ARE UNDERPOWERED IF YOU ARE RUNNING EVERYTHING ELECTRIC ON THE GEN! but, check your oil level.

either get a larger generator or purchase a 2nd 3000watt and parallel it if you want to the above.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
tweetzone86

Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Just a guess here (and I know you said the oil level is fine) but is the low oil light coming on just before the Genny quits? You would almost need to watch the generator constantly until it quits to actually know.
Also, make sure the generator is sitting on a level surface.

We have an older EU2000 that is VERY sensitive to oil level, and will do as you describe if it's not completely full of oil and fairly level.

I would almost suspect a faulty level indicator if all the above checks out.
Is it possible for you to borrow, or try a different generator to see if your issue persists?
Turns out the oil in the generator was low. The neighbor across the street has the exact same generator and we spent an hour troubleshooting yesterday.

As to others-I turned EVERYTHING off except ac, including tripping the converter breaker itself. I don't use a coffeepot (don't drink coffee I know I'm weird) or hair curler or anything like that. Just a couple laptops, phone charger and my kids plugged in a tablet and jetpack to charge (jetpack for internet). HWH is on gas, fridge was on gas only as well (auto light was off).

So now I have the a/c set to auto, fridge is on auto (at suggestion from neighbor just because his trailer runs auto on same genny just fine) but I only plug in the tablet/jetpack/my laptop if the battery is low. And I try to charge things at night unless I need them done during the day.

At any rate, the issue seems to have been low oil in the generator (it really helps when one person is looking at the genny and the other is inside messing with the a/c and other power sources). Because ac is working great now.

If it craps out again, I'll definitely run through the power checklist again. The weird thing is that there's no ladder to get up there to really check it out- I thought that was standard with rvs? Or is it only standard if there's a ceiling escape hatch?

Electric company engineer is coming out to the property in the morning to do the site survey to bring in power. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it won't take them very long to run the 200 amp service and the temp power pedestal with the rv plug and others for construction, and then I won't have to worry about generators anymore or take forever in the gas line filling up 6 five gallon gas cans every few days...Septic installed tomorrow, water hopefully won't be too much longer, and then I won't have to worry about any utilities (except propane, which is why I bought and filled 100 lb tank at Tractor Supply yesterday
Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
tweetzone86

Thank you all!

I look forward to getting to know more people on here (though to be honest, I'm building our house this summer (hubby help on nights and weekends, but I'm the one who cut my teeth on drill bits and framing hammers)) and may only end up on here if there's a problem for a while.

Happy trails to you all!
Old 06-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Make sure that when your electrician wires your pedestal, they wire it for an RV, not a dryer hookup. Some dont know the difference.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
jsmith948

If you turn off the breaker for the converter, your batteries won't charge.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetzone86 View Post
Turns out the oil in the generator was low. The neighbor across the street has the exact same generator and we spent an hour troubleshooting yesterday.

As to others-I turned EVERYTHING off except ac, including tripping the converter breaker itself. I don't use a coffeepot (don't drink coffee I know I'm weird) or hair curler or anything like that. Just a couple laptops, phone charger and my kids plugged in a tablet and jetpack to charge (jetpack for internet). HWH is on gas, fridge was on gas only as well (auto light was off).

So now I have the a/c set to auto, fridge is on auto (at suggestion from neighbor just because his trailer runs auto on same genny just fine) but I only plug in the tablet/jetpack/my laptop if the battery is low. And I try to charge things at night unless I need them done during the day.

At any rate, the issue seems to have been low oil in the generator (it really helps when one person is looking at the genny and the other is inside messing with the a/c and other power sources). Because ac is working great now.

If it craps out again, I'll definitely run through the power checklist again. The weird thing is that there's no ladder to get up there to really check it out- I thought that was standard with rvs? Or is it only standard if there's a ceiling escape hatch?

Electric company engineer is coming out to the property in the morning to do the site survey to bring in power. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it won't take them very long to run the 200 amp service and the temp power pedestal with the rv plug and others for construction, and then I won't have to worry about generators anymore or take forever in the gas line filling up 6 five gallon gas cans every few days...Septic installed tomorrow, water hopefully won't be too much longer, and then I won't have to worry about any utilities (except propane, which is why I bought and filled 100 lb tank at Tractor Supply yesterday

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue, although, as others have mentioned, that generator is at the small end of useful for powering your trailer for your needs. Possibly consider an upgrade in the future if you decide to do much boondocking.

Good luck with the house. It'll all be worth it once completed

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #17
Logan X

I’m glad you were able to get it figured out, that was a good call Harleydodge! Good luck with your house and the trailer.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetzone86 View Post
I look forward to getting to know more people on here (though to be honest, I'm building our house this summer (hubby help on nights and weekends, but I'm the one who cut my teeth on drill bits and framing hammers)) and may only end up on here if there's a problem for a while.

Happy trails to you all!

"only end up here if there's a problem for a while"?? No need to dump the RV when the house is built - they don't replace an RV. Heck, I had 4 and STILL liked using the RV. It offers a lot more than a fixed house does. Keep an open mind....you may find that you can't part with the RV by the time the house is finished.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #19
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"only end up here if there's a problem for a while"?? No need to dump the RV when the house is built
I think she means "on the forum."
Old 06-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
Daryles

Buy a 14-50r 50 amp outlet for the electrician to wire in. Make sure you install a breaker with it.
Use 6 gauge wire.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-LGP1S-Enclosed-Outdoor-Receptacle/dp/B00M3H6494

Useful info in this article.

https://www.rvtravel.com/can-i-use-a-welder-outlet-for-50-amp-rv-power/
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote