Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
gearhead

Alaska route?

My plan is to drive to east side of Glacier NP via US 287, staying off the interstates for the most part. Also want to see Banff so I'll cross at Carway and go north on to 93 and to Jasper. Somewhere about there I will have to decide if I'm going to Alaska.
I've looked at the possible loops through Alaska until I'm about nuts. I want to go to Fairbanks and circle back around by Denali. I would prefer to not travel the same roads both ways. Trying to decide if it's worth going to Dawson and Chicken to avoid running Hwy 1 again on the return. I'd be running south of Denali to Wasilla and then east on Hwy 1 to Tok and back home. I usually travel pretty fast especially if the DW isn't with me.
Ill be in the cabover and am wondering if, generally, I can just boondock overnight at a wide spot in the road. Obviously if "posted" I wouldn't.
I need to get a Milepost and I understand there are a couple campground books for Alaska.
I cant decide if early, May?, is too early or just wait until July and the crowds.
Any input is welcome.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
notanlines

No chance that you can get Momma to tag along with you? Pretty lonesome on that trip! We left on May 20th and came back on July 15th and had no trouble with crowds at all. We also made the Chicken/Dawson route and enjoyed the whole way. Boondocking is not a problem at all as near as I remember. We stayed only in RV parks and found them very reasonable until we got to Seattle on the return trip.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
gearhead

I've asked a dozen times. But she knows as long as it's daylight I'll drive, and her feet will swell up like cantaloupes. I told her she could stretch out on the back seat or even ride in the camper. The kicker was...."no we would kill each". LOL
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Desert185

It can still be chilly in early May, but then there are minimal mosquitoes. Just go when the time is most convenient, as the weather and crowds can vary.

Its a long trip that takes a long time. Try to see as much as possible from Fairbanks in the north to Homer at the end of the road in the south. In between, Talkeetna (the jumping off point for climbing Denali with airtours of the mountain complex), Girdwood (Double Musky cajun connection restaurant) and drive the tunnel to Whittier (get a halibut charter in PW Sound while there) are all interesting stops.

Anchorage these days is just another big dirty city, but if you do spend time there the Snow City Cafe has a Crabby Omelet that is incredible. Fresh Dungy crab. Gwennies is another tourist favorite with an enormous breakfast. While in that part of town, take a walk around Lake Hood floatplane base/gravel strip. Busy place and also popular with the occasional errant, citified moose. The Anchorage Zoo is actually pretty interesting, too. If you're a beer guy, visit the Midnight Sun Brewing Company. The Sockeye Red is some of the best IPA I've ever had.

Get a Fred Meyer frequent flyer card in Anchorage for a fuel discount (unless you feel the need and loyalty to seek out a Shell station). It can also be used at the Freddie Meyer in Soldotna on the way to Homer. There are two Costco's in Anchorage, too.

When in Homer have breakfast at the Cosmic Kitchen on Pioneer Avenue, visit Halibut Cove and Seldovia (look me up while there...if I'm there). Tuesday is senior discount day at Safeway. The Tesoro in Ninilchik, on the way, has cheaper fuel than in Homer. Fourth of July in Seldovia is a party, BTW. The Alaska Marine Hwy MV Tustamena docks there for the day.

Consider driving the Cassiar Hwy down to Smithers on the return trip for a change of scenery before heading eastbound towards TX. It leaves the AK Hwy just west of Watson Lake.

That reminds me...plan to camp at Liard River on the way north. There is a lodge near the river bridge for eats and the campground itself just past the lodge has walking access to natural hot springs in the middle of the forest.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
gearhead

That's all good stuff. Me and Shell aren't getting along well these days. They did a hard split with Motiva (Saudi) and divided up the refineries and retail. Saudi got Texas retail and the Port Arthur refinery. Several good friends got stranded in Motiva. Probably the best mechanical engineer I was ever around is losing his job. But it is what it is. I just don't care for buying from Saudi. I ought to get a Chevron card.
Does that Laird River hot spring allow bathers? I'll be needing one by then. I think I was looking at the campground on Google not too long ago. I'm hoping to avoid campgrounds as much as possible.
Timing....will be tough. I have promised the DW to spend some time in Colorado next summer to get out of Houston heat. My sister built a house in Angel Fire NM and wants us to visit. I need to go north and get on back. Be burning up the road if all this works out.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
That's all good stuff. Me and Shell aren't getting along well these days. They did a hard split with Motiva (Saudi) and divided up the refineries and retail. Saudi got Texas retail and the Port Arthur refinery. Several good friends got stranded in Motiva. Probably the best mechanical engineer I was ever around is losing his job. But it is what it is. I just don't care for buying from Saudi. I ought to get a Chevron card.
Does that Laird River hot spring allow bathers? I'll be needing one by then. I think I was looking at the campground on Google not too long ago. I'm hoping to avoid campgrounds as much as possible.
Timing....will be tough. I have promised the DW to spend some time in Colorado next summer to get out of Houston heat. My sister built a house in Angel Fire NM and wants us to visit. I need to go north and get on back. Be burning up the road if all this works out.
Liard (lee-ard, as the locals pronounce it) actually has a lower and upper spring area with the upper being warmer, as I recall. I don't recall shower facilities, but you could probably improvise. It's all natural and outdoors. The lodge, about an 1/8 mile down the road towards the river bridge, has rooms if you decide on that. Also, the lodge allows tent campers on the lawn area, so they may have a shower facility you could use.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Desert185

Updated info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar...rovincial_Park

http://www.campgroundsalaska.com/ala...gs-rv-park.php
Old 06-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
gearhead

I've got a wet bathroom in the Bigfoot. I can shower in there. But I sure enjoy a long hot soak with a refreshing adult beverage occasionally.
I should pack a swimsuit I assume. Or, maybe not.
Maybe "no tan lines" would know!!?? lol
I promise I haven't had a codeine pain pill in 3 days.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Gearhead, maybe you should take another one and get some sleep!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
notanlines

Brent, we managed to make the entire trip without donning swimsuit one. And after putting one shoeless foot into a creek around Chicken I don't think we missed much! Somehow swimming in 40 degree water didn't ever happen!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
gearhead

Haha...y'all are something. I'm going to make a lap around the neighborhood, maybe 2 if the hottie grandma is out, pour up some of that high dollar Yellowtail cabernet and take a long hot bath.