Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
Tim-Rhonda

18 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.4 4:10 First Pull

August I ended up trading in my 2015 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 Cummins due to the excessive emissions issues that would sprout up from time to time. Had a trip coming up that we were using our pop up on and was en-route to dealership to get DEF to have if we needed it for this trip and the truck went into limp mode. Hmmm. We had been down around the Savannah region on our way home with our 5th wheel in tow and this happened and it cleared itself, and numerous other occasions, emissions recalls etc.. Sooo I decided we needed to have a dependable tow vehicle. I hated to trade it in but needed to have peace of mind when we towed that we would not get stranded. I found an 18 2500 6.4 gasser long bed 4:10 rear with the factory 5th wheel prep. Payload is 3200 lbs and tow capacity is 15200 lbs. So I traded. We have a 2015 Cougar 333MKS 5th wheel that has a GVWR of 12090lbs. Keep in mind my wife always packs as if she is going to the moon. I didn't ask her to pack light or anything just wanted to see if the truck was up to the task. This last weekend we did our maiden voyage towing this 5th wheel. We are in central Virginia and headed out west to James River State Park in the Virginia Piedmont. Truck in Tow/Haul mode and we had no issues. MPG's were 9.3 not hand calculated, not much head wind. I was actually impressed. The road was a two lane road most of the way with rolling hills. Truck did down shift when needed, probably highest RPM I saw was around 3600. I was impressed. The stability reminded me of my 2013 Ram 2500 diesel truck. Anyways thought I'd share. I feel like I made a good choice knowing we won't go into limp mode and fuel costs are lower.
08 Fleetwood Niagara popup
USN Chief Retired
Tim-Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote