Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Question Strange Pink stuff behavior.

So, as some of you know I just traded in my 2007 Zepplin. I winterized before trade. Went in to the trailer four days before I was to take it in to dealer and what do I see but FROZEN pink stuff in the toilet. Of course I had poured some of the antifreeze in there myself, what was weird was that is was frozen. Got down to 18 but hardly the -50 it claims. Anyway I flushed it out and added a couple of cups of new antifreeze to the bowl and chalked it up to some water must have diluted what I had put in somehow. Day before I was to take it in I checked again. Same thing. The -50 antifreeze was frozen! Did not seem to be frozen in the drains as far as i could tell, only in the toilet bowl, which is a porcelain bowl.

Well the trailer is now gone but I am still wondering.....any ideas on why? . Bad batch? If so why wasn't the stuff frozen in the drain traps? Yes it was cold, upper teens, but no way was it -50.
Never happened to me before,

Oak, the German Shepherd Guy.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
66joej

Unlike automotive anti freeze RV anti freeze does have a shelf life from 1 year forward depending on brand. However it will not normally freeze solid only to a slushy consistency.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Frozen solid frozen? Or slushy? Slushy is as designed. Frozen would be bad.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

Thanks, did not know that. It WAS NOT solid but slushy as you describe it.

Learn something new everyday.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
travelin texans

You guys beat me to the draw! Normal, looks like a pink snow cone.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

RV antifreeze will "freeze slushy" and that is normal. The claim, "protects to -50F" doesn't mean it won't freeze, but rather that when it freezes (and it will) the "liquid turned thick or turned solid" won't expand at temperatures above -50F. Even though the RV antifreeze will freeze, since it doesn't expand, it won't damage the plumbing by causing cracks through expansion.

Frozen RV "pink stuff" is perfectly normal. The problem: You can't tell if you've displaced all the water that was in the system, so there's a chance the water will freeze. Hopefully there is enough antifreeze mixed in that the expansion of the water won't be so great as to cause damage. Which is another reason to use air to blow as much water from the system as possible before adding RV pink stuff.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You guys beat me to the draw! Normal, looks like a pink snow cone.
But how did it taste?
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Mine was more of a strawberry daiquiri flavor. You have to pay extra for the Marguerita.Click image for larger version

Name:	1461680168-shot-1-207.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	19342

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Getn off

Good to hear Bruce. Tequila and antifreeze both give me the squirts.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
notanlines

I know what pharmacist I’m NOT using in Kansas City!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
RV antifreeze will "freeze slushy" and that is normal. The claim, "protects to -50F" doesn't mean it won't freeze, but rather that when it freezes (and it will) the "liquid turned thick or turned solid" won't expand at temperatures above -50F. Even though the RV antifreeze will freeze, since it doesn't expand, it won't damage the plumbing by causing cracks through expansion.

Frozen RV "pink stuff" is perfectly normal. The problem: You can't tell if you've displaced all the water that was in the system, so there's a chance the water will freeze. Hopefully there is enough antifreeze mixed in that the expansion of the water won't be so great as to cause damage. Which is another reason to use air to blow as much water from the system as possible before adding RV pink stuff.......

Just saw that at our trailer last weekend. DW was in a panic. sort of, and i told her it is normal for it to turn into a Slushy. Made me want to go to 711 and get a strawberry one.. I had some in the porta potty and had to push the plunger for awhile to get the slushy out of the port holes going into the comode..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
Llampys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Hi John,
I was going to add RV Antifreeze to my black and gray water before i go to Quartzsite because i was afraid my tanks (located under my RV) may crack if it freezes? But now Im wondering if that is ONLY used when you are winterizing your RV for storage? Never had a problem before when I owned my lazy daze but am concerned with my new Class C winnebago as the factory told me to leave if it gets

that cold???
Llampys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llampys View Post
Hi John,
I was going to add RV Antifreeze to my black and gray water before i go to Quartzsite because i was afraid my tanks (located under my RV) may crack if it freezes? But now Im wondering if that is ONLY used when you are winterizing your RV for storage? Never had a problem before when I owned my lazy daze but am concerned with my new Class C winnebago as the factory told me to leave if it gets

that cold???
Your tanks (should) have plenty of expansion room to not be a worry. Your drains are a different story. If it gets below freezing for a period of time I'd put a lamp under it or heat tape around it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 11-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llampys View Post
Hi John,

that cold???
In "MOST" RV's the drain lines (from the valve to the sewer outlet) are exposed and it won't matter whether they are exposed to freezing temps or not, as long as the valves and back to the tanks is protected. The contents of the tanks on most travel trailers are protected by a coroplast underbelly, a "little heat" from the furnace and some residual heat loss through the floor and the RV furnace ducting. Many (certainly not all) Class C motorhomes offer the same features, but there are some Class C models that are built like the "extreme entry level travel trailer" and have no weather protection to the tanks or the valves.

Depending on how your Class C is built, you may need to follow the advice of the factory and "just leave rather than risk frozen tanks".... On the other hand, if your Class C is built like travel trailers with the artic package or polar package, you should be OK being exposed to a colder night or two. Without knowing how your Class C is constructed, it's impossible to make any recommendations, so I'd follow the factory's advice until you can prove them wrong......

That said, any RV with "half full holding tanks" won't freeze solid or damage the tanks if exposed to a few hours of "25-32F" temps. The amount of bulk of the liquid will protect the tanks and they won't typically freeze solid. Even if they do "ice up a little" you can still dump the tanks and flush with warm or room temperature water to thaw any "edge accumulation" if it should occur. Chances are the "above freezing temps" during the day will do that for you.

So, if you're going to be camping below freezing, dump your tanks during the day and close the valves, disconnect the sewer hose, fill the fresh water tank and disconnect the water hose, drain it and store it someplace warm. Use your self containment features through the cold part of the night and "reset/refill/drain tanks" the next day when it's warm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
But how did it taste?
Troy
That is hilarious
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
Llampys

Thanks! I will be boondocking out in the desert so there will be no hose connection! From everything i have read i think i will try heat tape and possibly wrapping the exposed tank with some kind of blanket i have read about! I have been camping for many years but this is my first new RV (Winnebago 22m). Have been trying to contact other owners of this RV but no luck yet! But have found good advice from this forum, thanks to everyone for your kind help.
Llampys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
Firewall

I use straight vodka in mine. First camping trip of the year the family always sleeps so well!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
I use straight vodka in mine. First camping trip of the year the family always sleeps so well!
I would assume you draw a crowd on your first camping trip , I bet you look forward to de-winterizing.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
Logan X

It gives a new meaning to “shaken, not stirred.”
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Hold the olives, the'll clog up the pump!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote