Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
mikejay65

2012 Bull premier 19fbpr and its lack of rangehood vent

I don't like the fact that the range hood is not vented, nor do I wish to cut a hole in the side of my RV. But my range hood sits next to the refrigerator. Do you think it is possible using a flex vent pipe to vent it up the refrigerator vent?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv vent.png
Views:	179
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	19136  
mikejay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Tbos

Not sure if adding the heat from the exhaust would cause a problem but it might. RV refrigerators can be pretty finicky. There have been threads in the past about people adding the outside vent. Didn’t look to difficult.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
jayhart

Range Hood Vent

One of the first things I did for my 2018 199ML trailer was to install a vented range hood and exterior vent. I chose a black vent flap to carry over the exterior black color accents. After checking with my dealer, I used a stud finder to ensure I did not cut through a metal sidewall stud.

The job was simple enough and now I don't worry about smoke alarms or cooking grease in the unit.
I would avoid trying to vent cooking fumes and grease through the refrigerator vent.
jayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The refrigerator vent stack is specifically designed and sized to provide adequate ventilation for the heat produced by the refrigerator. There is "precious little overbuild" in that area due to the management of space requirements for any RV. Adding an additional "ventilation blocking structure" inside that "already barely adequate ventilation space" could, in many areas, cause the refrigerator vent stack to not remove sufficient heat and cause the refrigerator to perform poorly or possibly even damage the refrigerator cooling mechanism. Additionally, you'd be providing an open, direct route for carbon monoxide and exhaust gasses from the refrigerator burner to flow into the RV interior cabin.

The sidewall of your trailer is 2" thick. Why vent 4' away when you're only 2" from a suitable locationl

I wouldn't do it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 AM   #5
WNY Bullet

A lot of people are adding fans to the refrigerator vent stack to get the heat that is there already out so the refrigerator works better. I'm with the others, I wouldn't add more heat back there.

We are also considering cutting through the sidewall to vent outside.

The one good thing about not having an outside vent is:
A few weeks ago, we were at a local RV dealer looking at a Grand Design fifth wheel on a windy day and the outside vent was making a racket that was unbearable. I couldn't imagine trying to sleep through that on a windy night.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:45 AM   #6
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
The one good thing about not having an outside vent is:
A few weeks ago, we were at a local RV dealer looking at a Grand Design fifth wheel on a windy day and the outside vent was making a racket that was unbearable. I couldn't imagine trying to sleep through that on a windy night.
The JR Products endura vent can be closed (from outside) and has a protective shield. In our experience it's never flapped in the wind.

It cost about 3x more than some vents.

It would be a trivial matter to swap out a noisy vent.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #7
gregrc75

I added a vent in my Premier. It wasn't a bad project at all. It has tabs that lock the flap closed so there is no flapping. Perhaps the tabs were not locked on the 5th wheel you looked at, just a possibility. Photo in link:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=30991&page=2

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19fbpr, vent