Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
orvlin

Kingpin tripod stand

I have a 2014 Keystone Cougar 327 was wondering whether a tripod stand is worth the investment would like to hear from anyone that uses one. Pros or Cons
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvlin View Post
I have a 2014 Keystone Cougar 327 was wondering whether a tripod stand is worth the investment would like to hear from anyone that uses one. Pros or Cons
I did buy a used one a while back but found that it wasn't all that effective in reducing the 5th wheel movement. In addition, because of its weight and size, I found it awkward to store. I ended up selling it shortly afterward.

If I had to do it all over again, I would install one of the landing jack type stabilizers made by SteadyFast, JT Strongarm or Bal. The latter is the least expensive if you are looking to save some $$$$. There have been good reports by members using one of the above types that show they significantly reduce the amount of movement.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Interesting just finished working on my tripod trying to get a lock to fit in it. After looking at how I did it my worries shifted from someone stealing the Raptor to can I get the lock off if I loose the KEY . So yes I have one and use it. Yes it is heavy and awkward to store. At a campsite a neighbor came over and gave me one, he claimed it was making him sea sick just watching the Raptor. I was in the Navy so how would I know I ended up giving him $40 for it even though he did not want anything. Have to admit it is better than nothing and since I have it I use it. Not sure if I ever would invest in anything else the rocking is kind of nice some time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150331_152207[1].jpg
Views:	215
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	8233  
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have a king pin stabilizer. I use it in conjunction with my BAL X chocks, rear stab jacks and my trailer is very stable. I bought it years ago when I had my 36' Jayco and just moved it to the new 30' Copper Canyon, along with the X chocks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
mowin

I just got my 5'er, and my neighbor gave me one. I like it. It's not too heavy, but will take up some space.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I did buy a used one a while back but found that it wasn't all that effective in reducing the 5th wheel movement. In addition, because of its weight and size, I found it awkward to store. I ended up selling it shortly afterward.

If I had to do it all over again, I would install one of the landing jack type stabilizers made by SteadyFast, JT Strongarm or Bal. The latter is the least expensive if you are looking to save some $$$$. There have been good reports by members using one of the above types that show they significantly reduce the amount of movement.
This my experience as well. I used my tripod for a couple years but got tired of carrying, storing and setting it up. I bought BAL locking stabilizer bars and installed on landing gear and rear scissors. Rock solid. No fuss and nothing to store.
For the suspension bounce I use a pair of bottle Jacks under the center frame. Eventually iI will install a set of scissors there.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
spicercars

King pin stabilizer is the only way to go. I use the bal 25066 which is very light and very simple to use and you can buy them for less than $100 on ebay. I also use the X chocks and no movement.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
orvlin

kingpin

Thanks' for your reply.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
orvlin

Bal Lock arm Bar stablizer

Has anyone installed this type of landing gear stabilizer.I have a 2014 cougar 327 res it has a gas pipe along the frame for the front to rear stabilizer to attach to. Front side to side will be fine. Would like to here from anyone. Thanks'
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Hamops

I had a kingpin stabilizer and all I can say about it, is that it makes an excellent BOAT ANCHOUR. I installed a set of JT StrongArms and that made world of difference in the stability of our 5vr.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
Cherokee

I also have a 2013 Cougar 327 RES and YES, I use a 5th wheel stabilizer and it works. I use the Bal X chocks which locks the wheels and stops bearing rock front to back. I then try to keep the doll legs extended as short as possible. Sometimes this is a challenge depending on how level the spot is front to rear. I have found the longer the dolly legs are extended, the more side movement you will have. Finally when I set the trailer on the dolly jack or tripod, you have to put enough weight on it to lock the front down. Notice I said I set the trailer on the jack, I do not jack this into the trailer. I bring the trailer down to level, raise the jack to make contact then raise the trailer about 3/8". I then adjust the jack again to make contact and then set the trailer on the jack. Sounds like a lot of trouble but 5 minutes time to stop the trailer sway is worth the trouble for me.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
brittsnbirds

Which one do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I also have a 2013 Cougar 327 RES and YES, I use a 5th wheel stabilizer and it works. I use the Bal X chocks which locks the wheels and stops bearing rock front to back. I then try to keep the doll legs extended as short as possible. Sometimes this is a challenge depending on how level the spot is front to rear. I have found the longer the dolly legs are extended, the more side movement you will have. Finally when I set the trailer on the dolly jack or tripod, you have to put enough weight on it to lock the front down. Notice I said I set the trailer on the jack, I do not jack this into the trailer. I bring the trailer down to level, raise the jack to make contact then raise the trailer about 3/8". I then adjust the jack again to make contact and then set the trailer on the jack. Sounds like a lot of trouble but 5 minutes time to stop the trailer sway is worth the trouble for me.
So many different ones out there which one did you choose?
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
PerryB

I found it to be bulky/awkward to store and only marginally effective. Whenever possible, I back the truck against the trailer so I have firm pressure between the skid plate and pin box. No need to latch it. This makes a huge improvement in stability. If staying for more than a day I also put a set of screw jacks under the front spring perches, which are roughly midway between the front and rear legs.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #14
5mary6

The tripod stand is not to prevent rocking and swaying. It is for long term stay to prevent sagging. Those who say it prevents the fiver from swaying are fooling themselves. Get the JT or BAL stabilizers. They're all you need. Besides, the tripod is bulky..MHO

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #15
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mary6 View Post
The tripod stand is not to prevent rocking and swaying. It is for long term stay to prevent sagging. Those who say it prevents the fiver from swaying are fooling themselves. Get the JT or BAL stabilizers. They're all you need. Besides, the tripod is bulky..MHO
Really? ? I notice alot less movement with my tripod stand in place. So who's fooling who??
Old 05-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
5mary6

well lets just do this..install the stabilizers and see which system prevents the most sway..

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #17
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mary6 View Post
well lets just do this..install the stabilizers and see which system prevents the most sway..
Im not saying the stablilizers don't work better. YOU said the tripod doesn't work. It does.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #18
brittsnbirds

Which one do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Im not saying the stablilizers don't work better. YOU said the tripod doesn't work. It does.
Hey mowin, which one do you have??

Some of us can't put the stabilizers on due to the stupid spare tire placement and the battery tray hanging down blocking the way.

Really don't want to have to re-configure the trailer to get something to work.
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittsnbirds View Post
Hey mowin, which one do you have??

Some of us can't put the stabilizers on due to the stupid spare tire placement and the battery tray hanging down blocking the way.

Really don't want to have to re-configure the trailer to get something to work.
I got my tripod from a neighbor who traded his 5er for a park model. He said he paid around $100 on Amazon. I got it for $40.
As someone mentioned in a previous post, adjust the tripod to the kingpin, then raise the 5er another 1/2" and readjust the tripod, then lower the 5er to "set" the tripod in place.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #20
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
I got my tripod from a neighbor who traded his 5er for a park model. He said he paid around $100 on Amazon. I got it for $40.
As someone mentioned in a previous post, adjust the tripod to the kingpin, then raise the 5er another 1/2" and readjust the tripod, then lower the 5er to "set" the tripod in place.
Quick question fellas, Im finally switching over to a fifth wheel after years of TT, and the unit has a 6 point system. Is that enough to prevent movement or should I use a tripod and or my X chocks? Thank you
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote