Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #21
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL12377 View Post
Looking to purchase our first TT. 2019 Keystone Bullet 248 rks 29 ft 5160lb dry. Interested in purchasing 2019 Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 as our tow vehicle with a tow capacity of 7400 lbs. Is this a good match? Very new to this. I do understand that a truck would always be a better option but just curious about experiences with Cherokees and advice. Thanks
Are you planning a lot of long-distance traveling or will the majority of your camping be close to home?

We bought a 32-foot Cougar travel trailer about a year ago. I tow with a 2009 F-150 with a 4.6L 3V and 145-inch wheel base. The trailer is about 7,100 pounds ready to camp. Ford says the F-150 has a tow capacity of 9,000 pounds. It has plenty of power and braking is not a problem.

Having said that, it tows "alright." I'm pretty sure a 3/4 ton pickup would do a better job, but we do the majority of our camping at either of two lakes about 15 miles apart that are about 60-75 miles from home. We store the TT in a little town about half-way between. So since my longest tow is normally 8-10 miles each way the expense of upgrading to a bigger truck doesn't justify the need.

I suspect the OP would, at best, be in the same boat with the Grand Cherokee. Were I him/her, I would be looking hard at a Suburban/Expedition or better yet a 3/4 ton pickup.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #22
Jerry S

With that combination you would not be happy at all.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #23
Lindie33

Sold jeeps and I had 3, too long of a trailer , I think max towing is 7500.
Wouldn’t pull it with that . We towed our tt with Dodge Ram 1500 with the 392 axle and trailer tow package gives you the mirrors and trailer brake controller as well .
Tows our 34 foot trailer so great , mileage was really only 2 miles per gallon less but towing went from 8200 to 10200, made all the difference
Lindie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #24
ingalmi

Quote:
Looking to purchase our first TT. 2019 Keystone Bullet 248 rks 29 ft 5160lb dry. Interested in purchasing 2019 Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 as our tow vehicle with a tow capacity of 7400 lbs. Is this a good match? Very new to this. I do understand that a truck would always be a better option but just curious about experiences with Cherokees and advice. Thanks
Absolutely not the right choice. I speak from experience, I had a Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 Hemi. Bought a 27’ TT and could not tow it with Jeep, too much weight and not enough power because of gearing, etc. Do yourself a favor and buy a RAM 1500 5.7 if you want a Chrysler product.
ingalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
Howler

The jeep is a bit light on the towing capacity. I would want something that can take some punishment while towing and stay on the road. My opinion of course.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #26
RWHightower

That trailer will push the Cherokee all over the place.
Had a friend who did and regretted. Traded his Cherokee for a F150. Happy ever since.
RWHightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #27
shermris

Your pushing the limit too far. The Bullet 24 RKS is a 24' unit that is 29'4" overall. While it only weighs 5148# it's very easy to pack the trailer with 1300# of gear plus what you put in the vehicle. You'll likely find yourself traveling at 7,000 pounds. A half ton truck will typically tow 10,000, most experienced travelers recommend a 3/4 ton for anything beyond 8,000 pounds. I tow my 24 RKS with a half ton truck and I'm comfortable towing at 60 to 65 mph on freeways. I get 8 MPG at 65 and 9 MPG at 60, (on level ground, away from stoplights). I had my truck for 6 years before I bought my travel trailer, if I were buying a tow vehicle today I would likely look for a 3/4 ton diesel. If you need the seating capacity of an SUV I would look for something like a 2500 Chev Suburban.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #28
Wireman134

Overload payload

Quote:
You'll overload Jeep's payload capacity and GVWR before you hit that max tow if you have passengers
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #29
bob91yj

Suburban's and Yukon's are no longer available in the 3/4 ton variety, haven't been for a few years. Crew cab 3/4 ton truck with a bench front seat is about the only thing left that has the ability to seat 6 and tow.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #30
goducks

This guy tried it. Dealer said 'bag it' and you'll be fine. I took this pic when I was picking up a TT for my son. The guy standing at the Jeeps door was my PDI guy. he told me the Jeep guy was getting ready to head to CA. I was in Portland Oregon at the time of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera 1327.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	18942  
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #31
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
This guy tried it. Dealer said 'bag it' and you'll be fine. I took this pic when I was picking up a TT for my son. The guy standing at the Jeeps door was my PDI guy. he told me the Jeep guy was getting ready to head to CA. I was in Portland Oregon at the time of the photo.
Wow ... pretty much sums it up!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #32
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Without arguing "yay" or "nay" for that particular combo, in that case, it looks to me that the dealer doesn't have the hitch set up properly. Considering the slide is still out, perhaps they weren't done with setup and hopefully got him straightened out.

When I left the dealer with my 24' Passport behind my 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland, it was level. When I got home and filled the fresh water tank, it sagged. I raised the torsion bar brackets on the trailer frame a couple of bolt holes, leveled it right out again.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #33
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
Without arguing "yay" or "nay" for that particular combo, in that case, it looks to me that the dealer doesn't have the hitch set up properly. Considering the slide is still out, perhaps they weren't done with setup and hopefully got him straightened out.

When I left the dealer with my 24' Passport behind my 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland, it was level. When I got home and filled the fresh water tank, it sagged. I raised the torsion bar brackets on the trailer frame a couple of bolt holes, leveled it right out again.
The slide was out cause the driver was doing a PDI as well. They were working on the hitch while I was doing the PDI for my son. Yeah maybe they got it fixed but I doubt it. When I talked to the dealer PDI guy he said that the guys doing the hitch setup told the Jeep guy that Jeeps are soft and he needed bags. The PDI guy told me that the driver was leaving that day for CA. I'm guessing that they tweeked it a little more and sent him on his way.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote