Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Bamacamper

Black mold spots on roof trusses.

I have a 2016 outback 316RL travel trailer and for the the last 8 months been trying to get Keystone to help me with problem. As always they blow me off, don't know where to go from here.
Bamacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Where exactly are you having a problem and how are they "blowing you off?"
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Bamacamper

Where every the trusses are in the roof, the mold is on every truss from front to the rear of the camper. Secondly we are going on 2months that camping world has submitted a claim, and I here is that the owner(us) neglected to do anything about it. I have own this camper for 17 months.....
Old 01-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Javi

Are you talking about on the roof material or have you pulled the ceiling panels and can see the trusses.

If on the roof material, it is the owners responsibility to clean the roof periodically.

Javi
Old 01-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

owned rig for 17 months, been working with Keystone for 8 months, sounds like at that time you would have been under the original Keystone 1 year warranty. Sounds like this should be covered. I assume you took it to Camping World, where you bought it?? but they only submitted a claim two months ago?? (15th month). I would work with Camping World who hopefully document when you first informed them of the issue at month nine of your original warranty. Good Luck
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Are you talking about on the roof material or have you pulled the ceiling panels and can see the trusses.

If on the roof material, it is the owners responsibility to clean the roof periodically.

Javi

Javi has asked what I was trying to determine in my first post. Have you actually pulled all the ceiling panels on a relatively new trailer and looked at the trusses??? That seems pretty drastic to me on a new trailer. If not, where is it that you are seeing "mold"? As Javi mentioned, if it's on top you have to clean it and maintain it. I know "mold" is a boogeyman word in the world anymore but I grew up with it all over the place and it was just "part of it".....sort of like using toothpaste from lead tubes. Not a big deal and I'm still all...al..a...a..alllrriiiiggtt
Old 01-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
Bamacamper

It is on the roof membrane and no I have not looked from inside the ceiling, there is no indication of mold. I had it taken to an independent shop here and he cleaned it twice, and it did not do a darn thing. You are right about been a drastic moment,and keystones is with there nose in the air. The gentleman from that independent shop thinks it a reaction between the membrane and the trusses.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Just my thinking: Keystone makes hundreds of thousands of RVs. Someone may correct me, but I've never heard of "a reaction" between the trusses and the membrane causing mold on the exterior. Remember that this same type of construction is used industry wide so I'm questioning the "independent dealer" that is supposedly cleaning your RV and giving you guidance. If "mold" is growing on the outside it is obviously something that you, or the dealer, should be able to deal with using modern cleaning supplies. I'm in FL now and I can tell you that there are lots of RVs here that need a real life cleaning and look like they have "mold" on the trusses....it's just a matter of proper cleaning.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
canesfan

I get black places along the trusses on mine, always have, with different rigs. It's dirt, grime, crud, whatever, but I don't know about mold. It's harder to clean off than the other parts of the roof for some reason. I have the added pleasure of having it parked half under some pine trees. No way around that, they're not on my property. Makes a joy cleaning the roof. But mold I'm not so sure.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

Good retirement Job, AND you get to use your folding ladder lol
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to read the DICOR website FAQ's. Specifically the one about mold/mildew on TPO and EPDM roofing membrane. They say there's nothing in the chemical composition of the roofing membrane that will (or can) support mold/mildew. The only way mold will grow is if there is some organic material deposited on the roof (tree sap, bird dung, etc) that can be used by the mold as a food source. The website goes on to explain how to clean and maintain your roofing material. It's a good read and has all the answers you'll need to resolve your problem.

https://dicorproducts.com/faq/#mold-mildew

This link will take you to the DICOR Roof Care Handbook, another source of good information: https://dicorproducts.com/images/RudysRoofbook_16.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
MG72B

I have the black spots on roof, some say mold some say no. Whatever it is, it is not easy to get off. I tried a mixture of 1 gallon water 1 cup Borax and 1/3 cup of Dawn dish detergent ( DID NOT WORK). Also tried mineral spirits and a mixture of bleach and water (DID NOT WORK). I just tried Tilex mold and mildew remover. Spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes to work in and then take a good brush to it. Make sure you wipe clean when done. It work great but it takes some working in. hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Now time to do the rest of the roof.
MG72B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof