Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Scran

Loose interior slide trim

Seems our interior slide trim boards are regularly loose. Generally, it appears the boards may slightly drag on the carpet, or something, and pull away from their backer board. Looks like the only thing holding them on are a slew of poorly placed light gauge brads.
Traveling in the Carlsbad, NM area recently, two sections of our main trim on the passenger slide (largest) slide fell completely off. (rough roads, though not that much worse than we have experienced elsewhere.)

Anyway..... mulling over an improved repair, I was planning to use a little liquid nail and maybe even a few brass screws to hold these trim boards on, in addition to a little brad nailing. Got to wondering, though, why that wasn't accomplished during manufacturing? Is there any reason any of you can think of they should NOT be glued and screwed? (Just thinking screws at each side and/or top or bottom, depending on orientation. Looks to me like the backer board is part of the slide and runs up against the slide opening, so should remain rigid.

Just looking for some sage advice, before I move ahead, if any of you have any! FYI.... our trailer is a 2010 3150RL Montana 5th wheel. As such, the trim around the slides is generally 6" grooved boards.
Edge CS2 Programer/Monitor
Scran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
SC Dreamer

I would be hesitant to glue. They may have to come off to pull slide out one day?
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
I would be hesitant to glue. They may have to come off to pull slide out one day?
Yup! The facia’s will have to be removed for any repair involving extending the slides beyond their “normal” amount. If the vertical pieces drag the carpet, just trim them and reinstall. Length of brads can make a difference in how well they stay on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yup! The facia’s will have to be removed for any repair involving extending the slides beyond their “normal” amount. If the vertical pieces drag the carpet, just trim them and reinstall. Length of brads can make a difference in how well they stay on.
X2 to Chuckster, I actually carry a both a pneumatic brad driver and 1/4 staple driver to do repairs. Our TV has on board air for the PacBrake.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Scran

Thanks, guys! Kind of the conclusion I'd come to, as well, but appreciate the input. Always nice to have a second opinion. In addition to trimming the bottom of the verticals just a bit, I've removed the old brads and will reinstall with fewer of those, in more strategic locations, and am also planning to add 2-3 small, short, brass screws to each end and the middle of each board. Think it will look O.K. and just might be a bit more secure than the brads have been and will add a little insurance that will be easy to remove if need be!
Edge CS2 Programer/Monitor
Scran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide