Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
ldiaz791

Traveling from Florida to Maine

I need travel advise from those of you who have actually taken the same route. I知 traveling from Florida to Main and after our second stop in Fayetteville NC I知 planning to continue to travel on I95 but where I知 getting confuse is not being able to drive through the Baltimore Fort McHenry Tunnel.
So instead my GPS is showing us two other ways of driving around, the one that I知 thinking is the 495 east, which circles around and back to I95. Help please.
ldiaz791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Pull Toy

I can't help you with Baltimore much, it's been 30years. All I remember is that the Francis Scott Key Bridge scared the H*ll out of me! DEFINITELY avoid George Washington Bridge / Cross Bronx Expressway (NY). Take I-287 (Tappen Zee Bridge), and rejoin I-95 coming into Connecticut. Also find your way around Boston Bridge Tunnel.

While your in Maine, check out Portland. They have a "Bridge of Locks" on the main drag downtown, so bring a cheap padlock with your message on it to add to the collection of hundreds just like it! Have a great trip!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Cbrez

I traveled to DC often when I worked. Goal was to park the car at the hotel and ride the metro until returning home. Did not want to drive around DC and certainly would not want to pull an RV around the beltway. I have two suggestions- neither of which you will like:

1- pass through Fredericksburg, VA, DC and Baltimore in the middle of the night. Life is too short too deal with the daytime traffic quagmire.
2- exit I95 in Emporia, VA. Take Rt 58 east to I64. Take I64 west to Northhampton blvd (Rt 13). Take Rt 13 north through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel ($20 toll I think). Continue north until it ties into I95 in NJ. The toll is expensive but the drive up the eastern shore of VA is a nice break from interstate driving. Emporia to Rt 13 is about 2 hrs unless it is rush hour on I64.

If you wanted to layover in Virginia Beach, there is good camping here, including seaside camping at Dam Neck Naval Annex if you are retired military.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
SummitPond

We travel from NE FL to SE ME for the past 17 years, the last 5 with the TT. We avoid DC/NYC areas like the plague; in fact, we avoid I-95 as much as possible.

Here is one possible route for you. This one is more like what we would do in your situation. It's a little longer than the straight shot but probably quicker due to less issues with traffic congestion.

I'd try to avoid the Hartford/Boston area during rush hour, and avoid entering Maine on a Friday afternoon; traffic is horrendous.

Safe travels, and enjoy Maine.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote