Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
jkohler70

Tariffs

I don't plan for this to be a political post. I'm not advocating for or against tariffs, but this article has some good information about what's going on in the RV industry - partially tariff related.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...b2406c926.html
Old 07-19-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Ever think after selling 500k units for years the number of buyers is drying up? A 5% sticker increase drops 1/3 during negotiation. When numbers drop by 60% then they are about where they should be.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Ever think after selling 500k units for years the number of buyers is drying up? A 5% sticker increase drops 1/3 during negotiation. When numbers drop by 60% then they are about where they should be.

Number of buyers is probably fairly constant or increasing: trade-in, and trade up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
cookinwitdiesel

And apparently my generation ("millennial" - hate that term) is really into camping
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go to 5 Keystone dealerships and look at the same trailer with identical options, you'll see five different MSRP sheets laying on the galley counter. Even though Keystone suggests a MSRP, most dealerships "choose" their own. Just look at the MSRP "suggestions" on the internet when comparing RVUSA dealer pricing on the identical trailer models for sale at different dealerships. There's several thousand dollars difference in "MSRP" depending on dealership websites or "galley sheets". I'm inclined to believe the dealer sets the MSRP in many situations, not Keystone. It's a "apparent advantage" to offer 25% off when the dealer down the street is only offering 15% off MSRP (until you look at the MSRP and find they aren't the same, or even close)... More a "card trick" than a "valid MSRP"....

The way MSRP's are negotiated down, it's really difficult for the consumer to know what it "used to cost" vs "what it now costs". So the increase in MSRP being lowered to agreed sales price brings us back to "what did we really pay and if we bought last year, would it have been cheaper or more expensive?"

Same with almost every product: We just bought a 70" HD TV for about $800. It's replacing a 50" plasma TV that we bought in 2010 for $1800. The price we paid is less than half what we paid for the old one. Inflation? No, not the way I rationalize the purchase....

It's the same with RV's. The MSRP may be 5% higher, but who really knows what dealers are paying for the trailer and what's the increased percentage of what customers are really paying ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

The point about the "msrp" is on the money.

When I bought the current trailer we entered negotiations and they brought me out the workup sheet with the msrp, discount, add ons etc. We haggled considerably because the msrp was completely out of line IMO. I got aggravated, the SM got aggravated and I left. I contacted the corporate office with my complaint and observations about the supposed price of the trailer. Got an email back and they told me to go back and talk to the SM again. Lo and behold I had a NEW workup sheet with a NEW msrp (reasonable) and larger discount (percentage). I bought the trailer. The "new" msrp dropped over 8k as I recall. I doubt seriously (I'm sure) that the dealer involved Keystone in renegotiating the msrp; it was of their making and they could change it at their whim.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... The way MSRP's are negotiated down, it's really difficult for the consumer to know what it "used to cost" vs "what it now costs". So the increase in MSRP being lowered to agreed sales price brings us back to "what did we really pay and if we bought last year, would it have been cheaper or more expensive?" ...
On Keystone's web site there's an option to build your own. I've not gone all the way through it (they want email, etc at the end), but I believe it appears to provide what they think is the MSRP.

Of course then there's always the extra costs (transportation, dealer prep ...) that most seem to add to the base price for the TT. It's like an airline ticket - no rhyme or reason to the charge.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
On Keystone's web site there's an option to build your own. I've not gone all the way through it (they want email, etc at the end), but I believe it appears to provide what they think is the MSRP.

Of course then there's always the extra costs (transportation, dealer prep ...) that most seem to add to the base price for the TT. It's like an airline ticket - no rhyme or reason to the charge.

I just went to the Keystone site to look into "build your rv". As soon as you choose a model it displays the "msrp" for the base unit. As I tried, tried being the operative word, to add options it wouldn't let me, but, at the bottom of the page was this disclaimer:

*Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (also referred to as "MSRP", "Base Price" or the "Starting At" price) excludes destination/ delivery charges, taxes, title, license and registration fees, dealer fees and total of options fees. Check with your local dealer for pricing.

Note there a lot of niches to plug in additional pricing, particularly "dealer fees" and I figure that number is where a lot of the variation comes from. I also suspect when the dealer gets the unit the "new" msrp is then generated by them according to "what the market will bear".??
Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Even though Keystone suggests a MSRP, most dealerships "choose" their own. Just look at the MSRP "suggestions" on the internet when comparing RVUSA dealer pricing on the identical trailer models for sale at different dealerships. There's several thousand dollars difference in "MSRP" depending on dealership websites or "galley sheets". I'm inclined to believe the dealer sets the MSRP in many situations, not Keystone.
We just bought a new TV this week. Went to the dealership armed with Kelley Blue Book printouts on the vehicle with the options we wanted, and when the numbers didn't match up, the dealer pointed out that the window sticker had an MSRP $1,500 higher than Kelley's. We still don't understand how that happened, since the window stickers aren't printed by the dealership, and you can generate a perfectly reproduceable one online just by typing in the VIN.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
We just bought a new TV this week. Went to the dealership armed with Kelley Blue Book printouts on the vehicle with the options we wanted, and when the numbers didn't match up, the dealer pointed out that the window sticker had an MSRP $1,500 higher than Kelley's. We still don't understand how that happened, since the window stickers aren't printed by the dealership, and you can generate a perfectly reproduceable one online just by typing in the VIN.

What you print online from the manufacturer many times has no resemblence to the sticker that the dealer has "doctored" up; ie; "paint treatment/protection", same for interior, running boards, bed liners, etc. etc. I avoid those places because most of it is smoke and mirrors with no way to tell if anything was done or not (with the exception of the physical items).
Old 07-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Do you have a link for obtaining a Keystone RV window sticker? If so, please post the link. Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Somehow we went from trailers to tow vehicles. Big difference on how MSRP is determined and availability online.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I just went to the Keystone site to look into "build your rv". As soon as you choose a model it displays the "msrp" for the base unit. As I tried, tried being the operative word, to add options it wouldn't let me, ...
I admit that site is not what I would call "user-friendly". At first I was unable to select options. It must have been the model I chose (19FBPR) as it is really limited in what you can choose. I chose something else (higher-end but don't recall) in another product line and I had success in choosing options.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote