Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Don_T

Crack in sidewall at bedroom slide

I just discovered a crack on the side of our ‘17 Alpine 3301GR. It is at the lower left corner of the bedroom slide looking at it on the outside. Of course the 1 year warranty expired a couple of weeks ago. The camper has not moved since last October 15th. We live in it full time. We don’t remember the crack being there in the past. We both believe we have looked at the area while doing regular inspections through the winter, but maybe we missed it. I guess it is a stress crack but what is the cause? What do the experts here think it is? What you see on it is some sealer I put on it to keep out water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B08510F6-170F-4B53-BA4A-5EA1C0F472C4.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	15500  
Old 03-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
kfxgreenie

Get it into a dealer and get it documented with lots of photos ASAP.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=Fuzion+crack

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ht=crack+slide
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
The problem with taking it to a dealer is we live in it. We would be in a tent without it.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a long history of frame weakness in that area of Lippert fifth wheel frames. You might want to contact your dealership and see if they have any suggestions on how to inspect it on site. Some dealerships have a mobile service, probably something you'd have to pay for, but at least it's not a tent.

If you don't tow it, it probably won't become a safety issue, just a cosmetic issue, but if you do tow, you run the risk of even more damage with every time the pinbox is loaded/unloaded and the frame flexes.

From the photo you posted, it looks like there is some water intrusion into the area already.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
ChuckS

From another group. Alpine ... I’ve seen a few Alpines having cracks like this and the issue appears to be caused by broken welds on the aluminum frame underneath the front cap area. You need to address this as it will only cause more issues left unfixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
ChuckS

Crack in sidewall at bedroom slide

These are pics of broken welds on the frame structure behind the front cap on a. 2016 Alpine. This was on the Bedroom slide side area behind front cap

The factory made repairs from what I read from the Op

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

From another group. Alpine ... I’ve seen a few Alpines having cracks like this and the issue appears to be caused by broken welds on the aluminum frame underneath the front cap area. You need to address this as it will only cause more issues left unfixed.

Thanks for the information. Any chance you can PM me a link to that thread?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Frank G

Technically the weld in not broke, there was enough stress (Load) applied to the joint the metal failed next to the weld. I've wanted to say something about this issue since the OP first posted it. The issue being I an talking theory and not factual information. Hence the reluctance to post.

In our 2017 Laredo (Laredo 5th wheel units are made in the same building same line as the Alpine and Avalanche) the first time we opened up the bed slide the bed separated from the slide OUCH! Being somewhat of a carpenter I fixed it myself convinced some Dealer tech some 170 miles away couldn't do a better job. The bottom line is the entire weight of the slide and bed and bedding and humans are resting on the aluminum side wall frame if it has been installed two high. The load should be on the floor not on the side wall. The floor is resting on the frame and the frame will withstand the load.

As many similar failures have been reported on the Alpine I would hope Keystone comes to your rescue. Call your dealer ASAP.

You say you are wintering some ware, If you are in Florida there are several Keystone dealers down here capable of fixing your unit. Lazy Days, Tampa is one and the have onsite camping facilities.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
brad2388

Our alpine is at the factory right now getting this same problem fixed.

The fix was a conpletly new sidewall. Front to rear.
The joints in the wall wasnt strong enough i suppose.

brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #10
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post

Was the problem with your Alpine the aluminum framing in the sidewall, or was there a problem with broken welds, or missing braces in the steel main frame? I am hoping it is just the sidewall and that it is safe to move it without causing more damage.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #11
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
Was the problem with your Alpine the aluminum framing in the sidewall, or was there a problem with broken welds, or missing braces in the steel main frame? I am hoping it is just the sidewall and that it is safe to move it without causing more damage.

It orginally started on the slideout side at the front. We had movement at the relief joint below the slideout.

They attempted to repair it locally.
It failed twice after two attempts.
I demanded keystone to take it back to the factory and they said the wall was broke beyond repair.

The have checked the flex of the pinbox and the steel frame and it was good. But the side wall wasnt supporting the weight because of the joints broke.

I dont have pics of the wall frame but i do have some of the cracks.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
Tinner12002

Whatever you do, don't tell them your living in it fulltime unless the Alpine is considered fulltime rated so to speak! Get a motel or stay with some friends if you have too but if they know your living fulltime in it there's probably no way you will get them to fix it in my opinion, unless someone else has some better input on that.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Tbos

Quote:

What year and model is your Alpine? I have a 3651RL in order. These stories don’t make me feel comfortable with my decision.
Tom

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
What year and model is your Alpine? I have a 3651RL in order. These stories don’t make me feel comfortable with my decision.
Tom

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

I have the 3536re.
I actually spoke with the service writer at the factory about trading this on in on a new alpine and she told me what they are doing in the service dept there not doing to the new units on production.

She felt like we would have a better built camper than the production is producing. Not sure if i believe it but its what they say.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #15
gearhead

Where you at? Livingston Texas or Livingston Montana? I'll assume Livingston Texas and maybe Escapees.
Where did you buy it?
I think your service shop choices are Holiday World, with the Willis shop being closer, or the Keystone dealer in Nacogdoches. I think I would call both them and judge their reaction on which one to use.
Please keep us posted. This has been a continuing problem and one would have thought Keystone had solved it by now.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #16
captcolour

Looking at the models discussed here, the slides are all of different sizes from the narrowest, to the king with trim, to the largest with nightstand and linen closet (like mine too ). So nothing really common to point too. And of course this goes across a number of brands and not just Alpine.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
Tbos

Quote:
I have the 3536re.
I actually spoke with the service writer at the factory about trading this on in on a new alpine and she told me what they are doing in the service dept there not doing to the new units on production.

She felt like we would have a better built camper than the production is producing. Not sure if i believe it but its what they say.

I asked the Alpine district sales rep about this today. I wanted to know what the factory is doing to prevent this on new rigs being built today. He sent the questions to engineering and is waiting for the response. I’ll let everyone know what they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
brad2388

Quote:
I asked the Alpine district sales rep about this today. I wanted to know what the factory is doing to prevent this on new rigs being built today. He sent the questions to engineering and is waiting for the response. I’ll let everyone know what they say.

That will be interesting to see.

I noticed on the new alpines as wel they list a fiberglass rear cap but the new ones dont have it.

Our 2017 does.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
Tbos

Quote:
That will be interesting to see.

I noticed on the new alpines as wel they list a fiberglass rear cap but the new ones dont have it.

Our 2017 does.

That’s interesting because that is a selling point for me on the 3651 we have on order. If it doesn’t have it we may go to a different brand.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
brad2388

Quote:
That’s interesting because that is a selling point for me on the 3651 we have on order. If it doesn’t have it we may go to a different brand.

Yes it is for us as well. I know the montanas yo lu have to go to the legacy package. But the alpines are or was standard.

Tags
bed, bedroom, rack, slide