Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Flynntom

Screen Tent/ Room

What is the best one to get. Primarily for bug protection and shade. Rectangular .., Square or Round/Octagon
Flynntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
xrated

We bought a Clam Escape this past year and love it. It's 140" x 140" and about 90" tall. I can literally have it setup in about 2 minutes. If you are using it in windy conditions (we haven't yet) you would need to stake it down and that would obviously take a bit more time. Folded up and back in it's carrying case, it's approx. 6' long and 8" x 8".....about the exact same size as the EZ-UP pop up canopy that we had before we bought the Clam. Weight is approx. 37 lbs, so not too bad.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a PahaQue 12x12 deluxe screen room, floor cover and rain fly cover. Total cost about 5 years ago was almost $600. Far too much to pay and far too complicated for me to put up by myself. It takes at least 2 people and is easier with 4. So, it sits in the pole barn and if I ever have a garage sale......

We bought a "Coleman, instant set 10x10 screen tent, no floor and no rain fly, but I can put it up in a couple of minutes and take it down just as fast. It's not as "impressive as the big orange PahaQue, but honestly, it gets used regularly where the expensive one sits because it's too much hassle.

I'd suggest either the clam shell type or the Coleman instant set type. They are much easier to use (so they do get used) and they aren't nearly as much money as the "top of the line, complex kinds".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
travelin texans

You may want to check wherever you plan on using it if it's allowed, we've been to several parks that don't allow any type of free standing structure, such as canopies or screen rooms. Just FYI!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

We have the Clam as well and are very impressed with the quality of construction and especially the super easy setup and take down. It has optional covers to put over all the screens and comes with stakes in the event you need to stake it down due to winds. We can put it up and have it functional by the time we could get all the parts out of our last pole supported enclosure. Here's a little clip about them:

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
John&Tweety

We have a Clam Pavilion with the attached side curtains,it is six years old. It sets up and down with ease. Our Clam has held up well, and still in great shape. As stated earlier in windy conditions it must be staked down. It even fits easily into the storage bag. I would purchase one again. Hope this helps! John
John&Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You may want to check wherever you plan on using it if it's allowed, we've been to several parks that don't allow any type of free standing structure, such as canopies or screen rooms. Just FYI!

Hmm. Good point! I recall pulling into a campground in Big River, SK. The first site I came to had a "$hitters full" old motorhome and what looked like a yard sale setup spread all over the grass. I never stopped, and headed on down the road.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
Flynntom

The Clam looks like a nice unit really like the easy set up
We have used the Coleman style and it took 2-3 to set it up

Thanks for the feedback and responses
Flynntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #9
RoscoeV

I have the Gazelle 6 Sided Portable Gazebo. It's very easy to put up and take down and was on sale for around $220 Here is a nice video.

2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
Rber1234

I have a Carefree Vacation’r room for vertical arm awnings which is really nice but at $500 and a slight pain in the *** to attach to RV. Also have a 140x140 Clam hexagonal popup shelter which I really like the most of the two as it goes up it 10 minutes or less and comes down even faster. Cost around $250. Only problem I ever had with it was during high winds when wind kept popping the roof down. As long as you stake it down it won’t blow away.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote