Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Hotrod351w

Switch function ID

Hi everybody I have just purchased a new 2019 raptor 355ts toy hauler and can’t for the life of me figure out what one of the switches does under the cabinet in the garage. I went over the entire event multiple times with the sales guy and the tech guy and again with my wife during the day time and night time in case it was a light I couldn’t see in day light. There is a double 12 volt switch located in the garage under the over head cabinet near the exit door next to the bed switch and rear ramp door swing switch. One switch turns on the lights on the rear of the rig over the ramp door. The other switch is what doesn’t seem to go to anything. I build race cars and am very familiar with 12 volt wiring and competent in my ability so I dropped the switch and tried to see if there was anything not plugged in or if power was present and found nothing unplugged or damaged and no power to either side of the switch. I verified my meter worked by checking the switch for the rear lights and my meter worked. Did this again with a test light and same results. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I covered the details so that more questions to check what I have already done aren’t asked. So after all this can someone please tell me what this switch is supposed to operate?
Hotrod351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off congrats on your new purchase. Our dealership doesn’t sell Keystone products so I’m just taking a stab in the dark. Maybe awning lights?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
MickLittle

That would be my guess as well. (Awning lights)
MickLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Hotrod351w

Unfortunately No the Awings lights work off the in command system. And they come on together and the rear ramp door awing does not have the led light strip lights but 2 led fixtures that is Controlled by the switch beside the one I can’t identify. And thank you I plan to enjoy this thing as much as possible.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Another WAG: Possibly speakers in that part of the trailer ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Hotrod351w

There are speakers in the garage and on the outside on the slide and in living area but the switch doesn’t turn off any zones.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #7
kksfish

With your VOM connected at the battery and the trailer NOT connected to shore power try operating the switch and look for any voltage fluctuations......that at least may tell you if something is actually powering up.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:26 AM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod351w View Post
There are speakers in the garage and on the outside on the slide and in living area but the switch doesn’t turn off any zones.
My Fuzion Impact Toy Hauler has speakers outside (on the sofa slide out) and they are lighted speakers. I had an overhead switch inside the trailer, in the ceiling of the slide out, that I couldn't figure out what it was for. Finally, one day I discovered that it was for turning the LED lights on that are inside the speakers outside. You may have the same exact thing for your speakers back there. Just a guess, but worth checking. And just to be sure....I'm not talking about the switch turning the audio off and on.....I'm talking about speaker lights.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #9
Hotrod351w

Just got off the phone with Keystone. Won’t be able to check this until I get back to the house but was told it maybe a back up camera if equipped. I do have a back up camera that I have not tried to use yet so when I get home I will try that and post my results. Anybody else have to turn on a switch on the trailer to activate the camera?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
MattHelm21

My 2016 Fuzion backup camera system has a switch to power on and off the wireless backup cameras near the area you describe. Look at the face of the camera. My Camera's are BOYO with a dedicated power lead. Yours may be wired the same and if so there is a red LED dead center in the face of the camera which will come on with the switch turned on.

If you have the Furion, I thought that was hard wired to the reverse wire in the TV plug without a switch.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

Since you're competent with a VOM and 12V wiring, you could try to trace the wiring back to the distribution panel. That might give a clue if it's wired to a labelled breaker or fuse.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
Hotrod351w

Well I’m out of ideas. As much as I don’t want to I guess it’s off to the dealer. I wish manufactures would just use wiring colors and diagrams like a car. It would make it so much better for the end users and the techs that have to work on them. They are easy systems but without X-ray vision or disassembling everything you can’t figure out where they run to and from.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Hotrod351w

I did that but somewhere the wire change colors and numbers.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Well I’m out of ideas. As much as I don’t want to I guess it’s off to the dealer. I wish manufactures would just use wiring colors and diagrams like a car. It would make it so much better for the end users and the techs that have to work on them. They are easy systems but without X-ray vision or disassembling everything you can’t figure out where they run to and from.
Quote:
I did that but somewhere the wire change colors and numbers.
Welcome to my world.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to my world.
Same sort of thing in the auto industry. While they do provide wiring diagrams and color coding, often the part that costs $10 will takes hours of labor to get to.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Hotrod351w

Here is an update to my switch problem. So after feeling like my brand new unit should have everything working without me have to fix/repair anything I took it back to the dealer. They had it for 5 days and only after I called them to check on it would I get any information about what was going on. This is the short version of what I was told. The momentary switch is supposed to be pressed and while holding this switch then you turn on the on/off rocker switch and the camera would turn on. This had to be explained to me 4 or 5 times due to the fact that a momentary switch is just that and if you let it go it drops power unless for some reason they wire a drop out relay in the circuit. So I am supposed to have a guy hold a switch the entire time I want to use my camera? Lol. I wire very expensive race cars as part of my shops services and we do it often so I’m no dummy when it comes to this stuff. After they told me this I said it works now like that correct which I was told well no. No kidding. I said then how do you no that’s how it works. They said that’s what keystone told them. Well I had already talked to keystone several times so I knew that was to put it lightly BS because they had no record of the dealer calling for any information on my unit. I decided to just go get it back from the dealer. When I arrived the service manager who says he is no tech and claims to no very little (how is he a service manager) gets the tech and we go to my unit where he shows me what he has done blames keystone in a nice way saying that something was wired wrong and that keystone told him to just run a new wire to the camera off the backup 7 way wire. I told him not to worry about it I’ll take care of it. So now the dealer is 00000 help and just wants to cut and re run wire which they claim is what keystone said to do. Now I get the unit home and I’m done playing games and hunker down with paper pencil and plan to pull all the switches down again in the back and omh them out to find all the paths they take and write them down. I turned on the 1/2 bath light and all the garage lights and start and the first set of wires I check the garage lights go off. I do it again and they come on. Humm strange I can control the garage lights from a switch wire they claim is camera. Keep in mind this has the in command system so all the other momentary switches in the unit control lights. I had a immediate ah ha moment that is what I suspected from the beginning. The momentary switch is to control garage lights from the garage. Wow what a concept a switch that controls something in the room your in and not only from the touch panel in the front of the unit. So now on a mission I back up and ohm out a few other wires and pull lights out of the ceiling in the garage. I disconnect 1 wire and the bathroom light goes off. Bingo I pull the switch out of the bathroom wall and there are 3 wires I ohm them out and bam there is the problem they tapped the wrong side of the switch for feed for the rear switches from the bathroom. So everything worked the camera on its own switch and the garage lights on the momentary switch as long as the bathroom light was on. I switched 2 wires totaling about 1 min of my life and all my problems are solved. Now it took me about 2 hours to back track it all but I’m ok with that. I already knew this in my automotive career but just because it goes to a dealership doesn’t mean a qualified person is going to work on anything. Sorry for the long post and any mistakes in my post (I’m doing it on my phone and don’t proof read on the small screen) but my point is the dealership even though they are nice to talk to and make you feel warm and fuzzy don’t no squat. I’m not the average automotive guy I feel I’m pretty advanced with my abilities with all the stuff I do at my shop but it re enforces my point. if you trust yourself and abilities your better off doing it yourself. I plan to help others with what I no so if you ever have a question feel free to ask.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:44 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Wow! Great find on your part. And thanks for the offer of help. I am sure that others will be asking. I hope you really Meant it!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote