Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Flicdog

Rear Bumper Bike Rack

Has anyone put a bike rack on the rear bumper of a Cougar 333MKS or similar rig? I put the bolt on receiver box and a rack but it looks sketchy as far as bouncing while under way.
Flicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I haven't put a bike rack on the bumper of our Cougar and wouldn't advise anyone to do so. The bumper is just not sturdy enough to support that kind of extra weight. If I were you, I'd have a receiver hitch welded to the frame and purchase any one of a number of bike racks that are designed to carry 1, 2, 3 or 4 bikes.

Do a forum search on "bike racks" and you'll find plenty of posts and threads about this topic and what others have done.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
The Outdoor Duffle Bag

I did it and twisted my bumper ! If you do it I would put it as close to the one of the cross members as possible. You could also go to your local welding shop and they could beef up the bumper supports. Then you know it will handle it.
The Outdoor Duffle Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
gearhead

On our previous Cougar I removed the spare tire from the bumper and put it in the storage bay. Then used a bolt on receiver to carry ONE very light all aluminum bicycle. Towed from Houston to Ohio and back. The bumper was distorted so much I couldn't get the sewer hose in it.
On the Montana, I had a new heavier bumper welded on. It has a receiver welded into the bumper. I just towed to Virginia and back with the bicycle and spare on the bumper.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
gearhead

pics of new bumper...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00645.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	8539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00648.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	8540  
Old 05-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
KYFamily

I've used a bumper mount on our Avalanche for about two years now and the same setup on my old Jayco for close to 6 years with no trouble. Usually only have one kids bike on it but I have had up to three. My brother usually follows me and he always has told me that is was very stout with no bouncing. I also have China bombs and I'm over by 400 lbs. on GWVR. So what do I know.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
{tpc}

Gearhead, what did something like that run ya? How long did it take to get it?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Gearhead, what did something like that run ya? How long did it take to get it?
Two welders for basically all day. $600. But welders were scarce last year. Not this year. All the supports are .250" thick and the bumper is about .225" thick.
Smitty's RV & Welding. On Brittmoore near I-10 West at Beltway 8.
Referred to me by my infamous dealer before our relationship hit the rocks.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Rickmuzick

Bike Rack

I use the bike rack that goes over the spare tire on the back of my Outback.

Picked it up at Camping World and it works great.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ike-rack/25898
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
{tpc}

Thanks for the info gearhead!

Rick, that rack looks pretty cool, but doesn't solve the problem of the weak rear bumper that I believe my trailer is equipped with lol.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Thanks for the info gearhead!

Rick, that rack looks pretty cool, but doesn't solve the problem of the weak rear bumper that I believe my trailer is equipped with lol.
That bike carrier on the spare just puts more weight and stress in one area.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
That bike carrier on the spare just puts more weight and stress in one area.
It seems that the most positive thing about it is the actual rack itself - otherwise, it is an accident waiting to happen. Yes, I know folks have attached racks and goodness knows what else to unreinforced, original equipment bumpers and have travelled for miles and miles without incident.
The bumper is really nothing more than a thin, flimsy square "tube" so why increase the risk of it separating, falling away or falling off and potentially causing an accident?

If you click on the link to the product, check out the review by William Dolley (the 4th one down). Even though he likes the rack, his experience with it was far from being positive and pretty much sums up what others have said about bike racks that are added just to the bumper. Makes you question why others would do this.

Yes, I know ......... "been using one for years and nothing has happened........"
Old 05-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
MArices

We have a Laredo 266RL. I put a bike rack over the spare. The bumper is so thin that metal fatigue caused the bumper to separate from its supports.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I haven't put a bike rack on the bumper of our Cougar and wouldn't advise anyone to do so. The bumper is just not sturdy enough to support that kind of extra weight. If I were you, I'd have a receiver hitch welded to the frame and purchase any one of a number of bike racks that are designed to carry 1, 2, 3 or 4 bikes.

Do a forum search on "bike racks" and you'll find plenty of posts and threads about this topic and what others have done.
That is what I did. I built my own receiver/cross member assembly and welded it to the frame and included some gussets as well, and then bought a nice 3 bike rack. I was constantly being asked what I towed behind the trailer (when the rack was not installed). I would usually respond with something like "a car" or "ski boat ". As the admonishing would begin I would smile and tell the truth. I now have an 8 foot bed so the current trailer has no rack/hitch. I would not hang a rack/bikes off the rear tube, for fear of all three being gone upon arriving at camp.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #15
5mary6

The issue in the original question is that of the 333MKS. It has a pull out bumper that is considered a bike rack with a weight rating of 200lbs.. Don't trust it. Add a bike rack to that bumper and it may just cause disaster. Now if the bumper is left slid in, there may be more support considering Keystone put that big heavy spare tire rack on the bumper. I doubt the bicycle will weigh as much as the tire

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #16
SkiSmuggs

I have a two-bike rack mounted on the bumper of my Cougar High Country and have carried two adult or kids bikes with no trouble UNTIL I got a ladder rack so I could carry just one more. It came with nylon straps with plastic buckles. I used those to fasten the Wally kids' bikes to the bumper rack and used the bungees from that on the ladder rack bike. When I got home from the campground, the DW asked what I did with the bikes. Mine was still on the ladder rack, but both Wally World bikes were gone from the bumper rack with one strap with a broken buckle hanging from it.
Now I only use bungees and a bicycle cable lock to the ladder. After reading some of the other posts, I will add a bungee from the bumper rack to the ladder just to add support.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #17
mamawildbear

We had a popup camper with a super duper extra strong bumper and hitch on the back of it. The previous owner towed a super duper Texas sized smoker behind his popup (yikes). We thought how great, we can use a hitch mounted bike rack. We mounted our four bikes on it and headed off to camping. Those things bounced up and down like they were on a trampoline and our traller swayed so much that 15 min down the road, we turned around home and dropped off the bikes. For us, it shifted so much weight to the rear of the trailer that we became unstable. We've been gun shy of that ever since.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #18
Barbell

Our Montana came with no bumper or hitch. After several attempts to make my own hitch to carry a two bike rack, I had a welding shop install two heavy 3 inch angle irons between the frame I-beams about 3 feet apart and welded a receiver hitch to them. Seems pretty solid and no problem so far. Even though it looks strong, I would not attach anything heavier than a bike rack and certainly would not try to tow with it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
mamawildbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post
We had a popup camper with a super duper extra strong bumper and hitch on the back of it. The previous owner towed a super duper Texas sized smoker behind his popup (yikes). We thought how great, we can use a hitch mounted bike rack. We mounted our four bikes on it and headed off to camping. Those things bounced up and down like they were on a trampoline and our traller swayed so much that 15 min down the road, we turned around home and dropped off the bikes. For us, it shifted so much weight to the rear of the trailer that we became unstable. We've been gun shy of that ever since.
Funny enough I had posted this from my trailer at the campground. The next morning our friends showed us the bike rack they installed on the back of their Coleman 23BH. They had a hitch mount 3-bike rack that came with a conveter to a bumper mount. The used a couple of u-bolts to attach it and said it worked great and didn't negatively affect the drive.

I'm going to see if I can convert my hitch mount rack the same way.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post
Funny enough I had posted this from my trailer at the campground. The next morning our friends showed us the bike rack they installed on the back of their Coleman 23BH. They had a hitch mount 3-bike rack that came with a conveter to a bumper mount. The used a couple of u-bolts to attach it and said it worked great and didn't negatively affect the drive.

I'm going to see if I can convert my hitch mount rack the same way.
mamawildbear -
I still maintain that the safest way to install a bike rack is to have a receiver-type that is either welded to bolted to the frame. Mounting bikes on a rack that is attached only to the bumper with U-bolts is, IMO, unsafe and irresponsible. If you read the posts in this thread and the reports of twisted bumpers, broken welds and "missing bikes" that should tell us something and we should all pay attention to what has happened to others.

If your friend's bikes are hanging from a rack which is held on by U-Bolts, I would encourage them to think about those folks that are following their RV down the highway. While it may "work great" and "didn't negatively affect the drive", it is unsafe and is an accident waiting to happen. It may not happen today or tomorrow but why risk it? Why put other peoples' lives in jeopardy?

Yes, I know, nothing has happened yet so why all the excitement?

Rant over.