Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 AM   #161
Comptech

Yea no black stripes... I guess they could not get those. The other decals are new... and I am not sure what you mean about the windows?
I still think it looks fine... way better than it did, even if it is missing a decal or two... The main Cougar one looks great...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #162
b.d.keathley

Your windows look tinted. We were wanting to get ours tinted cuz they didnt come that way and its too bright in the morning. Just curious.
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:07 AM   #163
Comptech

What picture are you looking at...? I guess they might be a little... We usually keep the shades closed. so they may just be looking dark...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #164
b.d.keathley

Gottcha
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #165
havasuacougar

2012 Keystone High Country Cougar Front end cap fading

Well I have read all the posts and I can say I probably wont buy another Keystone product again.

Our High country Cougar we purchaed in April 2013 it has been in complete storage in a storage unit completely covered no sun allowed in all its life (for 2 years) its has been out only for camping probably 10 days we only took it out twice the first year and once last year I have had some health issues so we did not use it!

Other than that it only has been out about 5 days in the sun for the dealer to fix some problems with it, they had it sitting in the sun more than I did !
I am real picky about my campers I wash and wax them on a regular basis the last Camper we had a 2004 High Country Cougar we had until 2013 never had a fading issue. When we purchased this one I was asked the sales rep if it would fade because it was grey in color he said "oh no they put the same gel coat on them as the fancy expensive motor homes do"

Well I have put in a call to Keystone and so far the customer service rep stated "well you know you have had it 2 years so far" !

Not sure how long Keystone thinks these RV's should last but I cannot believe she said that to me. When you pay $35,000.00 for a RV it should not fade we have never had this out just a few weeks. She told me to get a estimate well in our area I found a couple of places that would paint it and clear coat it for around $750.00. Not sure if they will cover it she would not say I was told to email it in see what happens. I think we all should write in to the BBB and attorney General, their should be some recall on this. I cannot believe a RV Front end cap can fade only seeing the sun for a few weeks ! Talk about POOR Work and Keystone knows it !
havasuacougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #166
havasuacougar

pic of my trailer

Here is a pic of my High Country Cougar front end cap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cougar.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	8518   Click image for larger version

Name:	cougar2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	8520  
havasuacougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #167
homer3

Its only going to get worse

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #168
Keoni37

Just noticed on our two year old 2013 (purchased May 2013) that my cap has some severe fading. Talked with Keystone customer service and got the "canned" response about it being a maintenance issue. I pointed out the fact that Keystone was aware of the problem and this was not a maintenance issue with these years end caps. So now will take the unit to the dealer (Tacoma RV) and see if they will go to bat for me. Also had my first issue with the touch panel, worked fine for the first two years, now first trip out this year and had 2nd and third rows of touch switches go out on me. Had to turn off main breaker and switch off battery, turn both back on and panel worked after that but happened twice on our first trip this year. Are there progressive failures on the panel once this problem begins to show?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cougar Cap.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	8522  
2010 Ford F-350 LB CC 4x4 PSD
2013 Cougar 333MKS
Keoni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #169
Comptech

Looks too familiar.... I think Keystone is just going to pay for the paint jobs they have to do.. rather than have a total recall...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #170
Keoni37

I wonder if there is any basis for a class action lawsuit to get this issue and the touch panel issue corrected by Keystone. The threat of a class action lawsuit got Nikon to correct the issues with their D600 cameras.
2010 Ford F-350 LB CC 4x4 PSD
2013 Cougar 333MKS
Keoni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #171
concours

Our Dealer did re finish our front cap and replace the decals but now I understand that Keystone will not assist the Dealer with the costs. Yes I would and probably will re purchase from the dealer but it will never be a Keystone product.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #172
Dave W

I'm a late comer to this thread. The dealer wouldn't deliver our 2014 until he had it painted as it was already starting to fade after much of the summer of 2014 on his or Keystone's delivery lot. The salesman said ours was the third so far with a couple more on his lot to be done. I spent a couple hours with the painter prior to it being done more to see what he was using for paint - DuPont Chromabase (now Axalta) along with the appropriate clear coat. I let it set for the winter without polishing and just did it Sunday. Absolutely slick job which hopefully will stay that way. I had the dealer just put the Montana name decal on it but supply the 'mountain scene' which I don't care for to store for that inevitable day it goes down the road hooked to someone elses truck.

This is a photo of it about 2 months after the paint. A bit dirty but still looks nice. I do have the DuPont paint spec that I can post (assuming I can find it) if anyone is a DIY'er or is having a shop try to match the original:

Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #173
Beerdude41867

From this.......

This is what it looked like last week. Faded, and cracked graphics. My next post shows how it looks now. Sorry I can't manage my file size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	8568  
Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #174
Beerdude41867

And now she looks like this!

Changed to white since I live in so.cal heat. Painted on graphics, clear coat over all. No money out of pocket! Keystone paid a portion and sent me new vinyl graphics, which I'll keep maybe for later, and an exterior warranty paid the balance. Only 20013 Fuzion in the country that looks like this. Pretty cool! It was work getting a payout, but I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	8569  
Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #175
homer3

So for all of you who got your caps repainted congratulations. Starting round two with mine. After contacting the Mfg, Keystone, I was told to go talk to the dealer and get an estimate as well as a local auto body shop (huh). Oh well after almost a month of constant emails and phones calls to dealership, I finally get an estimate. Oh by the way since I had purchased the exterior MAXGARD Protection at time of purchase, I'm now being told I have to file a claim with them. (Sounds like the run around). so contacted MAXGARD, they are sending me claims forms with instructions. does anyone want to lay odds on how this is going to turn out. I know there are a few individuals on this blog that feel Keystone absolutely stands behind there product. Well I'm, starting to wonder. Having to file a claim with three different companies does not sound so good to me, and top of this if Keystone stands behind their products, then why am I having to do all the work. Somebody please give me an answer that makes since, because I for one do not understand........

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #176
Comptech

homer3,
From what everyone has posted in this thread and others, is that it is a crap shoot..... Everyone has a different story as to how, why if Keystone repaints the caps...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #177
Brantlaker

Smile My Story

Having read all of the stories both good and bad about cap fade I thought that I would tell mine so hear goes. My cap faded after 18 months I called Keystone, got estimates from 3 different body shops including a lowball from my Dealership that I used to work for. They said that Keystone dealer had to supply them so my Dealer did and they still denied them. I told the DW that I would have it fixed but never got around to do it. Fast forward to last March and while having the RV cleaned and waxed in Florida the guy cleaning it said that all it needed was to be buffed out with 3M Marine Cleaner Wax. Well it worked. It looks like new. Just finished putting a coat of 3M Marine Wax as a second coat.and it looks Great!

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #178
Comptech

Brantlaker,
I am happy that your cap looks good again. The issue is that the waxing and buffing won't last very long, and according to the email I received from Keystone, is that they expect you to do the same wax and buff job every three months... which is ridiculous... The main issue with the front cap fade is the poor quality gel coat Keystone used in the manufacturing process.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #179
homer3

Brantlaker - Glad you like your wax job, problem is it won't last. I have both hand waxed and used electric buffer including the 303 Marine Wax. Yeah looks great when done. Give it a few weeks, your fade will be back. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #180
sw342
Permanent User Ban

A local RV shop/repair facility where I get my propane said they have buffed out the faded caps and that can buy you a season before it starts fading again. I ran into a guy a couple slots down from mine at my storage yard with a 2012 Montana. Been covered the whole time except when being used and at the dealer for a month getting some warranty work done. Starting to fade, He was unaware it was an issue, but he and his wife were not happy to see the fading knowing the way he has cared for it and being covered when not in use.

I just got the standard email response from keystone that the cap fading is "naturally occurring" and that is that. I will be calling them later today to have a real conversation and see where they really stand. I sure hope Nothwood follows through on the two prototype, Desert Fox 5th wheel toyhaulers. I will drop this Fuzion in a heartbeat and get back into a Northwoods product.

I was telling the couple with the Montana at my storage facility that I just might get a wrap for the front of mine. Kidding them that it will a big middle finger with the words "Keystone RV" underneath and under that "Ask Me Why". During my summer travels over 7 states I would love to have the opportunity to educate potential buyers of Keystone products and cost them a few sales.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote