Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #81
Pmedic4

Fade or Oxidation

Waxed up some of our Cougar this weekend, and there was some oxidation on the front cap. Nu-Finish took the white oxidation right off, so this is oxidation on ours.
There might be some fading, but there is nothing going to stop that on the brown color caps the Cougar's have, which is why I've always expected they used white on most RV's to minimize the fading. Even your truck or car paint fades, just over the years they have created better paints that resist the fading. If you had an original piece of the finish, and kept it out of the sun, regardless of amount of wax or UV treatment, then compared it to the vehicle finish you'll see fading. That's what autobody shops fight trying to match the color of a 5-6 year old vehicle that needs to have some paint work done.

Don't know if anyone has seen the new Winnebago Minnie Winnie TTs - wonder what how those bright colors will look in 4-5 years.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #82
homer3

I have read this blog on and off for a couple of weeks now. It seems that a faded nose/end cape is apparently a fairly common problem. Not sure why Keystone has no issued a recall. I know that this is not a safety issue, however it obviously seems to be a manufacturing defect/problem and they, Keystone need to stand by their product or may loose what appears to be a fair amount of business in the RV world. Wonder if anyone at Keystone even bothers to read anything on this website.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #83
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
I have read this blog on and off for a couple of weeks now. It seems that a faded nose/end cape is apparently a fairly common problem. Not sure why Keystone has no issued a recall. I know that this is not a safety issue, however it obviously seems to be a manufacturing defect/problem and they, Keystone need to stand by their product or may loose what appears to be a fair amount of business in the RV world. Wonder if anyone at Keystone even bothers to read anything on this website.
Check the disclaimer printed in red at the bottom of every Keystone RV.org webpage. Keystone RV Company, (KeystoneRV.com) is not associated with this website, they have no employees that are members (in any official capacity). They don't monitor this website and don't respond to any compliments or criticism posted here.

If you think strongly enough that your comments and beliefs about a recall should be conveyed to Keystone RV Company, if you go to their webpage, http://www.keystonerv.com/ click on the "contact us" link at the center of the bottom of the webpage, a link will open to allow you to express your concerns directly to the company.

The only people who read your comments here are owners of Keystone RV's, people interested in or looking for information on Keystone RV's and guests who happen to find the forum through internet browsing.

You won't get your comments read by Keystone RV Company via this forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #84
Comptech

My cap was faded too, although I too thought it was the paint fading, it was really a lot of oxidation on the top portion of the cap. I took the hard way and used rubbing compound, then wax. (burnt my old buffer out doing it, lol) The result was very good and it looks almost like new...
Saying that, I do think that the paint is fading slowly..... and eventually no amount of buffing will fix it...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #85
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
My cap was faded too, although I too thought it was the paint fading, it was really a lot of oxidation on the top portion of the cap. I took the hard way and used rubbing compound, then wax. (burnt my old buffer out doing it, lol) The result was very good and it looks almost like new...
Saying that, I do think that the paint is fading slowly..... and eventually no amount of buffing will fix it...
We all have to accept that paint is going to oxidize and fade. Unfortunately some sooner than others, for hundreds of reasons.
Like most of the people on here, I've had RV's from several manufacturers, and you know they have have complaints about fading and oxidation.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-48516.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ghlight=fading

If anyone thinks they are going to escape the effects of the sun, rain, and the same materials used to make all RVs, "good luck".

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #86
Comptech

I accept that it will fade.. I totally understand. What I don't understand or like is how fast it is fading..... I'm thinking I will invest in some good UV protectent.... I have some of the 303 stuff. Can you apply it over wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
We all have to accept that paint is going to oxidize and fade. Unfortunately some sooner than others, for hundreds of reasons.
Like most of the people on here, I've had RV's from several manufacturers, and you know they have have complaints about fading and oxidation.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-48516.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ghlight=fading

If anyone thinks they are going to escape the effects of the sun, rain, and the same materials used to make all RVs, "good luck".

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #87
cathcartww

Our 2012 Outback is one of the last ones to have the white front cap - and maybe that has turned out to be a good thing. Being a long time boat owner, I am intimately familiar with the "care and feeding" of fiberglass gel coat, which is a totally different animal than automotive paint and finishes.

The best bet for keeping gel coat shiny is to keep a good coat of protection - wax, polish, or protectorant - on it from the time it is new. This is harder than it sounds, especially on horizontal surfaces (like the top of the front cap) which take a direct hit from the sun. Dark colors are a lot more difficult than light colors or white. The quality of the gel coat used is also a significant factor - like most things, some are better than others.

Regardless of how often you wax, polish, or seal it, eventually the oxidation will get worse and worse The ultimate solution would be to have a modern automotive paint/clear coat system applied, but that is quite costly, and takes tools, equipment, and skills beyond the capabilities of the typical RV Owner. As someone else stated, painting may be the only real solution if the original gel coat was defective or low quality.

Once the gel coat becomes severely oxidized and porous, polishes and waxes just will not bring it back. There are acrylic coatings like PoliGlo and other marine or RV specific products, or the increasingly popular Home Depot ZEP (formerly Red Max Pro) floor finishes that work by filling the pores in the gel coat and creating sort of an acrylic clear coat on the surface. I have used these products extensively over the years on older boats, and they do give reasonably good results, but have to be renewed at least annually and eventually form a yellowish build up that has to be striped off and the process started over.

Another acrylic product is available. http://www.acrylicwerks.com/ looks like it might be worth the try, and I think I will be trying it on the nose cap next time ......

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #88
homer3

JRTJH - I realize that Keystone does not read or monitor this blog. Just blowing off steam I guess. I would think they care but apparently not. I contacted them the other day with pictures as my 5er is not a year old yet so still under warranty. Still waiting for their response. Not keeping my fingers crossed. I m sure they are hoping I will just go away. I m going to make second contact with them tomorrow. let you guys know if they come through

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 04-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #89
jje1960

Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
JRTJH - I realize that Keystone does not read or monitor this blog. Just blowing off steam I guess. I would think they care but apparently not. I contacted them the other day with pictures as my 5er is not a year old yet so still under warranty. Still waiting for their response. Not keeping my fingers crossed. I m sure they are hoping I will just go away. I m going to make second contact with them tomorrow. let you guys know if they come through
While you are waiting.... Go get some 3M MARINE CLEANER & WAX 1 STEP #09009 ......

Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010sm.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	5612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011sm.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5613   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	5614  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #90
homer3

I know this is long, please take the time to read.

OK, as I stated the other day I was waiting to hear back from Keystone. Here is there response; I also attached a URL page link that states, RV Gel Coat Finish - Care and Maintenance, "http://petesrv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rv-gel-coat-finish.pdf."

You will see that this comes up on Keystone Letter Head. After reading this I was dismayed that they would suggest taking any grade of sand paper to the finish. Also attaching some pictures after taking matters into my own hands at this time. Hope it works out. Using the 3M Wax Finisher/Cleaner suggested by other bloggers. Took me about 2-3 hours between washing and applying the wax/cleaner. If this works out great, other wise I guess I will have to battle things out with Dealership (SoCal) and Keystone. Wish me luck.

Below is pasted from email I received from [email protected]

"Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I have attached a copy of the care and maintenance recomendations for the front cap of your unit to try to assist with restoring. Please note that if you do fall into the category where there is a front cap fade you can have this reviewed by an authorized Keystone RV dealership, and they will submit to us for review in warranty. I have documented your account to note the current fade you are seeing. Because this is noted in warranty we will review as a warranty concern. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you.

We do recommend contacting your local Keystone/Dutchmen dealer for assistance on repair(s) and or part(s) needed. If you need assistance locating a local dealership, you may utilize our online dealership locator:

For Keystone units: www.keystonerv.com or For Dutchmen units: www.dutchmen.com

If you have further questions or concerns please contact owner relations at (866) 425-4369 Monday-Friday 9am-4pm Est or e-mail [email protected]"

Sincerely,
Alisha Howton
Owner Relations
Ph: (866)-425-4369
Fax: (866)-273-1451
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (3).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	5625   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	5626   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5 (2).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	5627  

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 04-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #91
vantage32fls

I had same issue with cap fade took it to dealer as directed by Keystone owner relations for assessment. Keystone denied any warranty work, stating that I failed to wax unit three times a year as stated in the owners manual. I bought this trailer April 13, 2013 it was very oxidized on the top of both caps, (couldn't see without ladder until it got home).I used polishing compound and waxed in July. Contacted Keystone in Sept. took to dealer in Nov. with other warranty issues. Was told by Keystone to use wet sandpaper to take oxidization off. I'll try the 3M product next. Another product that I found was Nyalic, it had some great results online, but was rather expensive and had to use their cleaner to wash it.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #92
homer3

Hi - Vantage 32fls, make sure you use a descent buffer when applying. I would not apply by hand. There are instructions on back of bottle for both hand and electric application on 3M wax. I can see the difference on mine where the little cheap buffer I was using. I will going to Home Depot and shopping for a better buffer and redo.

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #93
BSHGTO

fade, what I want to know

Mine hasn't started yet, 2013 model Montana High Country. What I want to know is will covering the camper or at least the front stop this from happening. I have waxed the front cap once a month since purchase. What a pain in the butt.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #94
concours

Ours has the same fading on the front end cap and it has been waxed many times. The cap had some Oxidisation on it the day I brought it home I cleaned and waxed it then parked it for the winter the next spring it was back. I have tried everything from Boat cleaner to Professional auto waxes and it returns after 5 days
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #95
Comptech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Mine hasn't started yet, 2013 model Montana High Country. What I want to know is will covering the camper or at least the front stop this from happening. I have waxed the front cap once a month since purchase. What a pain in the butt.
I would most certainly think it wouldn't hurt..., But only if you can put it in the shade too. I have read posts of people who have covered their RVs only to find they baked the siding right off in the high heat... But I don't know the details...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #96
BSHGTO

fade fade will it fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
I would most certainly think it wouldn't hurt..., But only if you can put it in the shade too. I have read posts of people who have covered their RVs only to find they baked the siding right off in the high heat... But I don't know the details...
I did some research and did find some horror stories about delamination and Rv covers, not good, then other people say they have had theirs covered with no problems. Area of country, angle of camper to sun, length of exposure to heat, lack of maintenance, and the supper quality materials they use prolly add up to whether or not your going to have cap fade. Like I said in my last post I have waxed the front with Mothers Carnauba Cleaner-wax once a month since new. I called Mothers wax products and told them of potential problem and they said to hit it hard and often and it won`t happen and it hasn`t yet. I think the only answer is a Rv shelter. I have found them for around $2500 $3000. This the 6th and last camper I`m going to buy (2013 Montana High Country) and want it to look new as long as possible.
We`ll see.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #97
Comptech

Good luck... and I know how you feel about wanting it to look good for as long as possible...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #98
5mary6

After my local dealer submitted for new paint under warranty and got approved, I finally got it back and it looks like new. They also put on a clear coat!!!

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #99
Comptech

Great glad to hear the good news...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #100
abby33

Can anyone report on how the 3M Cleaner and Wax has held up over time? Dealer waxed and buffed front cap on our 2012 Montana HC last fall. I got up on top to check out how it had held up and see that the fading/oxidation is starting again. Also, was in Florida over the winter (without rv) and checked out a bunch of rv parks use in the future. Just about every camper we saw with a dark front cap (all makes and models included) had fading issues.
abby33 is offline   Reply With Quote