Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Will a external High Gain wifi antenna combined with a Alfa R-36 help in a poor wifi park?
There are two distinctly different problems with park wifi. First is signal strength. Yes a booster/external antenna will help receive the park wifi signal, even if you're on the "fringe" of no service.

The second, and more limiting factor is bandwidth. When the park wifi is capable of transmitting 800 megs of data per second and there are 30 campers, all connected to the park wifi system, each pulling 100 megs of data while streaming cartoons for the kids, there's simply not enough bandwidth to support the demand and no matter how strong your signal, you can't stay connected. It's not because of poor signal, it's because there's no capability for the system to send/receive from your antenna/booster.

We've been in a number of campgrounds where there is excellent signal strength, but simply no way to get any data flow because everyone else is "bogging down" the system.....

So, a booster/external antenna "might" help or it "might not" help, depending on how much capacity the park's wifi can support.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #22
Path2ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Will a external High Gain wifi antenna combined with a Alfa R-36 help in a poor wifi park?

There is a thread about “WiFi repeater” you can search for. We have good success using an ubiquity M5 that has allowed us to stream Amazon video on busy CGs networks
Path2ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #23
Bnrc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards a fire TV 3rd gen. I want to be able to access my dish anywhere app, Amazon prime video, and Netflix. I just have to make sure I won't get my data throttled when I use it by Verizon.
Even the top plan with Verizon , I believe it's the Ultimate Unlimited, will throttle to 600 after 15 gigs in the billing cycle. Before that my Firestick works great with my Hot Spot. Not so much on campground WiFi.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #24
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
Even the top plan with Verizon , I believe it's the Ultimate Unlimited, will throttle to 600 after 15 gigs in the billing cycle. Before that my Firestick works great with my Hot Spot. Not so much on campground WiFi.
That's what we have and that is true. I am thinking of trying a fire stick. Fire TV does not allow mirroring. There is also a cable that hooks the phone directly to the TV. Thinking of maybe trying o e of those for the wife's Iphone. My phone doesn't support anything other that hot spot option unless I get chrome cast. Never go with a MotoZ force or any Moto phone for that matter. Very restrictive.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
JoelandMimi

We have 3 different Roku, we love them. We cut the cord over 5 years ago and now it is nice to be able to have them in the trailer also. I would not recommend the older version of Roku stick, its downfall was a weak processor.
JoelandMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
tundrwd

I'd say a Roku stick.

I'm a programmer by trade (for longer than I care to remember, and yes, I've done COBOL, RPG and Fortran - now get off my lawn!)

Anyway, I've used an older Apple Airport Express (the wall-wart type), connected to my Raspberry Pi 3, which has a 2TB hard drive attached. Allows me to stream movies directly to the TV via HDMI, or the Roku over wifi. Added benefit is the grandkids can connect to the wifi and stream kids movies/cartoons to their tablet(s).

Works great, and with a bit of programming "magic" on the Raspberry Pi - I can also connect to the campground wifi (if they have it, and it's in range) - and get to the internet that way.

Not a fan of using the phone as a hotspot - streaming is a fast way to eat up your monthly allotment in a hurry. And even if you have "unlimited" - there's ALWAYS a limit.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #27
Montana318RE

We have ATT with a hotspot that works pretty good running the tv and a couple lap tops, occasionally it will rebuffer, but most of the time it works great. Sometimes I have to move it around to find better signal but all in all it works for us.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT CC LB DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison LBZ
Reese Titan 20K
2013 Montana High Country 318RE
Big Pine Key, Florida
Montana318RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #28
tech740

So after a summer I am happy with what I have learned. I got rid of the crappy phone. I wound up with an Iphone 8plus. With Verizon hotspot I am able to run the firestick with no issues at all. Plus with the Airpin pro app I can screen share my Iphone to the fire stick for when my 15 gigs is up on the hotspot. Where I am I have at least three bars and LTE all the time when we camp so signal is not an issue. Just wanted to put this on the thread so others can learn from my experiences and make decisions on how they want to do things.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
tommy_z

I use a Chromecast, which draws from my Tmobile phone that is setup as a hotspot. It draws from my unlimited data plan. As long as I have Tmo coverage, I can stream anything without issue, and cast it to the TV.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote