Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
Scorn

New Camper Cougar Lite 22RBS 2018

we just picked up our camper last Thursday and had a couple of options we hadn't planned on or paid for. We're not complaining, the dealer said these things will be standard on the 2019.

We had front and rear power stabilizers, also had a storage rack on the back. There was one thing missing, stainless steel fridge and microwave oven.

We thought about complaining but my wife liked the black fridge and microwave better. happy wife happy life.

We downsized from a 2015 36 foot to a 26 foot for towing reasons and couldn't be happier. We got about 25% better gas mileage on the way home. Will post pictures of our first trip Sept 11 week.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
xrated

Congrats on the new rig.....and glad you guys are liking it. I have the power stabilizers on my Impact 303 and I love having them. One thing that you may think about doing is buying some wooden blocking to put under them. One of the tracks that we go to is sloped down quite a lot (back to front of the trailer) and I normally carry 4 pieces of wood blocking (1 1/2" x 8"W x 8"L) and those work well under normal/level spots. This particular location is sloped enough that I take a couple of 8" x 8" blocks (heavy duty deck support posts) and use them on the front. The more the stabilizers are lowered, the less stable they become, so this helps to make them not have to go down as far and helps stability. I also use one under the front power jack to be able to get enough lift to level the trailer.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
bill-e

Congrats of the new camper!

Remember, stabilizers are not lifting jacks, they can't be used for leveling. They are also mis-named as they provide anything but a stabile base for a camper.

I have a 23RBI with power stabs and while I like them during setup and teardown, they, together with the X-Lite construction are quite bouncy. I installed Steady Fast on my camper and the owner/designer told me to keep the blocking under the stabilizers to a minimum as that adds to the movement.

For leveling I use Andersen Levelers, one of the best accessories I've purchased.

I love my Cougar, I'm sure you'll love yours.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy those upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #5
Scorn

Camper different than ordered.

We'll I didn't say anything, but there is a difference between the Cougar Lite and the Cougar Half-Ton. (previous post by me).

I ordered the Cougar Lite, but that model was limited to in stock only. So when I went to pick it up I noticed some things that were very different.

Power stabilizers, rear carrier, bigger camper 22 inside instead of 21. bigger furnace 35K, bigger propane tanks two 30 ib instead of two 20 lb. different Cap.

I know I shouldn't complain, but shouldn't the dealer have told me that that it was no longer available and ,I was getting the 1/2 ton model?

I mentioned it to the dealer and they apologized, and the Keystone rep called me to explain what happened, change over year and new upgrades.

I fell like the dealer should offer me something for their mistake and not letting me know
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:33 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The two trailer models are significantly different, and as you learned, offer equipment that can, in some situations, render one trailer more usable than the other, depending on the buyer's lifestyle. I use the Ford/Mercury or the Dodge/Plymouth brands as comparisons. Using the Explorer/Mountaineer as an example, at first glance they appear very similar, but when you start comparing, everything from the suspension components to the seating surfaces are unique to the specific vehicle. They may be "sister vehicles" but each has its own "individuality" that sets it apart and makes the model line very different from its "sister". Keystone has much the same kind of "individuality" with the Cougar Half Ton and the Cougar XLite lines. Everything from "holding tank sizes" to front cap features.

As for "what to do now", very few RV dealerships advertise a "30 day low price guarantee" and even fewer are willing to renegotiate the terms of a sales contract "after the deal is signed" and with the sales tax, vehicle registration fees, and "new vs used" designations, even fewer are willing to change the legal terms of a contract after filing documentation with the state and the bank.

So, the time to have "struck a sweeter deal" was before the contract was signed. At this point, there's really not much that you can do other than complain to the dealership and try to appeal to their "sense of right/wrong". Honestly, what happened to you is very similar to going to a Ford dealer to buy an Explorer and getting sold a Mountaineer. But, after you signed the paperwork and drove it off the lot, it's yours. Could it be "bait and switch"? Probably not, since it's your signature on the document stating that you bought a specific vehicle by VIN.

I don't think there's much to do about it other than realize that your trailer is "uniquely different' from the XLite. In some ways, it's "better equipped for dry camping" and with the subtle differences, some people actually prefer the Half Ton line while others prefer the XLite line.

But, after buying it, signing the contracts, financing it and dragging it home, it's probably more a case of "buyer's remorse" than "being wronged". I'd suspect the dealership won't do anything other than shrug their shoulders and say, "We explained the differences and you agreed to buy it, we hope you enjoy your new trailer."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar