Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
Kemp716

Balancing the load of a 2400BHWE

I weighed my Passport 2400BHWE the other day and found that the tongue weight was at 15%. The trailer was lightly load with a 1/2 full fresh water tank, and nothing in the under-bed storage area. With most of the storage space on this TT is in the front end, and very little in the rear. Does anyone have suggestions for better balancing the load and lowering the tongue weight? Most of my camping is done without hookups and I’d like to be able fill the 43-gallon freshwater tank, but without better balancing that won’t happen. I’m currently using 600-800 pound spring bars on the WDH, but I’m considering upgrading to 800-1200 pound spring bars to help deal with the higher tongue weight when fully loaded.

2016 Passport 2400BHWE
2017 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 4x4
Kemp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Drydays

balance the load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp716 View Post
I weighed my Passport 2400BHWE the other day and found that the tongue weight was at 15%. The trailer was lightly load with a 1/2 full fresh water tank, and nothing in the under-bed storage area. With most of the storage space on this TT is in the front end, and very little in the rear. Does anyone have suggestions for better balancing the load and lowering the tongue weight? Most of my camping is done without hookups and I’d like to be able fill the 43-gallon freshwater tank, but without better balancing that won’t happen. I’m currently using 600-800 pound spring bars on the WDH, but I’m considering upgrading to 800-1200 pound spring bars to help deal with the higher tongue weight when fully loaded.
>> DO get heavier BARS. Then before leaving on the trip, load that puppy up and then re-weigh it. OH and take a tape measure along to set your LEVEL of your TV . I do this by measuring the fender well top edge to the pavement,(both side) should be close to even. AND do this by using the chains to bring the trailer front and hitch up tight./snug. this throws weight on the front tire.
good luck. That TV should be able to handle the weight.
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know your hitch weight. 15% of ??. Looking at the trailer (the Keystone site is unresponsive this evening) I would say you need 1000 lb bars.
Then look at how your trailer is layed out, what goes where etc. My front also carries a lot of weight. My fresh water tank is in the very back so I load it to about half. It's just a experiment kind of thing, and yes, you have plenty of truck for that trailer.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Kemp716

Thanks !! I moved a heavy tool box to the back of the truck and moved some items around in the TT. The tongue weight is now at 740#, so I'm good to go on this trip with the 600- 800 pound spring bars.

I still don't like being 60# from my current bar's max rating, so I'm going to buy 800-1200 pound bars for fully loaded future tips. I don't want to cause problems by using bars that are to heavy, so I'll also be buying a tongue scale to make sure I'm using the correct equipment for the trip and load.

2016 Passport 2400BHWE
2017 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 4x4
Kemp716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2400bh