Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Tbos

Don't hit the curb.

On our trip from MD to TN on Sunday , I cut a corner too short and hit a curb with a sewer drain in it that had sharp edges while trying to get into a gas station. While getting gas I inspected the tires. Right front had a cut near the bead but was still holding air. Right rear appeared to have no damage or even scuffing. I changed the right front tire and we headed down the highway. About an hour later at 60mph a TT passing us honked and pointed to the back. I felt a shudder and pulled over on the shoulder of I81 south. Half on the grass and half on shoulder. Right rear had blown. No damage to wheel well thankfully. VA State Trooper stopped to provide safety and the VA Highway Safety Assistance crew stopped and helped me change it. I now had a damaged tire on the TT and no spare. The DW called around for tires. Found a wheel and tire at TSC put it on in their lot. Went to Hughes Transport and had a new tire installed to replace the damaged one. The TSC tire and wheel is now the spare. On top of that Jason at Hughes fixed a problem the RR had developed in the brakes. The trip took much longer than expected but we were being watched over and helped by angels all day. Lesson learned.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
mfifield01

It's always an adventure. Glad the TT didn't suffer any damage.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
tommy_z

Yikes, I can only imagine the stress you endured. Reflecting back, is there anything you'd do differently in preparing for a tire change? What jack do you use?

Off subject, but where did you get the bug screen for your furnace vent? I have the same style and can't find the right screen to fit.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
Yikes, I can only imagine the stress you endured. Reflecting back, is there anything you'd do differently in preparing for a tire change? What jack do you use?

Off subject, but where did you get the bug screen for your furnace vent? I have the same style and can't find the right screen to fit.

The most stressful part was trying to figure out where we could find new ires so we could keep going without losing a day of our vacation. I used a 2 ton floor jack with a piece of 2x6 between the jack and axle. On the passenger side there is a propane pipe so I couldn't jack on the frame. I probably need a heavier jack and will buy a bottle jack. The roadside assistance guy used a much bigger floor jack. It made changing it on the side of I81 much easier. Here is a picture of the screen I bought. I picked it up off Amazon.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
bsmith0404

You definitely got lucky on that one.

I have to say the flat tire on our last trip was a first for me in a long, long time. There wasn't anywhere to get another tire so I went the last 300 miles without a spare. That did create some stress hoping that there wouldn't be any issues. Worst case scenario I figured I could always remove the tire is I got another flat and strap the axle up. I could then continue at a greatly reduced speed and hope a single tire would hold up. Makes me think about adding a bracket for a second spare.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
You definitely got lucky on that one.

I have to say the flat tire on our last trip was a first for me in a long, long time. There wasn't anywhere to get another tire so I went the last 300 miles without a spare. That did create some stress hoping that there wouldn't be any issues. Worst case scenario I figured I could always remove the tire is I got another flat and strap the axle up. I could then continue at a greatly reduced speed and hope a single tire would hold up. Makes me think about adding a bracket for a second spare.

Depending on the diagnosis on one rim, I may have a second/extra wheel. Once I get home I'll find out if the rim I drove on is safe to keep and will hold air.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Wow, you WERE being watched over. It is great that it didn't separate and do a lot of damage to the trailer AND you were able to get help on the road as well as finding tires. Something like that can turn into a real nightmare.

I think I'm just going to buy another spare tire and wheel "just in case" to carry in the bed of the truck. I just put 5 new tires on the trailer but you never know when some fluke might happen and put you in a tight spot. Glad you were able to continue on your vacation without missing several days.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Wow, you WERE being watched over. It is great that it didn't separate and do a lot of damage to the trailer AND you were able to get help on the road as well as finding tires. Something like that can turn into a real nightmare.

I think I'm just going to buy another spare tire and wheel "just in case" to carry in the bed of the truck. I just put 5 new tires on the trailer but you never know when some fluke might happen and put you in a tight spot. Glad you were able to continue on your vacation without missing several days.
^^^That's what I'm thinking for a long trip out west.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Tbos

I know believe it makes sense to have an extra spare if you have the space and weight capacity available. My small floor jack was fine for my old small TT but this bigger one needs more. If I'd had to make the change myself on the side of the interstate I would have jacked it up and before removing the wheel I might have run the stabilizer jacks down on that side for extra safety. I hope I'm not in that situation again. I am very grateful for the blessings we received on this trip.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
GaryWT

It can be tough finding tires on the road. Glad everything worked out in the end.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #11
mfifield01

I had to change a tire on Sunday. While I was getting ready to leave, I found a screw in a tire. The passenger side of the 2810 doesn't have a good place to put the jack on. I had to use the axle between the spring u-bolts.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
Tbos

I had to use the axle on the passenger side too.