Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
ellisk

Smile finally buying a 248RKS

Today, I am "pulling the trigger" and buying a 2015 model. I've been researching them for about 6 months and joining this forum was the best thing I could have done in making my final decision.

I had to buy a truck as well and settled on a 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty with a large v8 and a 4.10 rear end. It has the whole tow package. It should pull the 24 anywhere I want to go.

The 248RKS will be perfect for me and my medium-size dog. I am a 66 year old widower (3 1/2 years), retired from 43 years in public school education (art and building principal). My late wife and I used to tent camp years ago and she would have loved this new camper I'm getting. I'm not an experienced travel trailer guy though so I know they're will be large learning curve for me to face. But, I'm healthy and able to get out and see the U.S. with my best friend (my dog).

I'm at the age now where I see so many of my friends, family, and acquaintances getting ill and infirm as we all age. I want to get out and enjoy life before the same fate happens to me.

I think I've made a good choice in trailer size and model. The price was right.

My adventure begins!!!

Ellis near KC, MO
ellisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Great 6th post Ellis, seems like your ducks all lined up...

I hear what you say about having good health, my wife and I camp a lot but aren't full timers and we see plenty of folks with brand new campers all set to enjoy camping and they can hardly get in and out of their campers let alone hike, bike etc.. Very sad to see.

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
12 er

We have a 2015 Bullet 248 RKS Western edition. We have taken a couple of trips with it and so far so good. After working out all initial bugs and kinks in making our own I'm satisfied with what we have. I tow it with a 2009 F150 and sometime I have to look back to see if It's still there. If I have one complaint about it it would the refrigerator. It's two shallow and limits how much food you can store in it. I added some mods battery switch which was installed in the front storage you might want to consider this because The radio and a few other things are are on all the time and draw off the battery and this stops you from having to disconnect the batteries is just easier to flip a switch. We put a topper o The radio and a few other things are are on all the time and draw off the battery and this stops you from having to disconnect the batteries and its is easier to flip a switch. We put a topper on the slide out and we up the size of the propane tanks to 7.5 instead of the 5 gal that came with it. We are taking a two week trip down to San Diego and this will be the first major ltrip we've have taken. We plan to have many many years of fun with our home away from home.
She
12 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
TheRealMacGyver

Congrats on the new TT. Great story, never stop living, enjoy the journey!
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
JimQ

Congrats on your purchase! We have the same and love it. Some of us have posted pics of the mods we have done. Check them out! Enjoy this camping season. Jim
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
scott24

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
ellisk

Thanks for the kind words!

I really appreciate the support you all gave me. It's quite a step for me to step into this travel trailer world, but I'm looking forward to it very, very much!
ellisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
lightning79

Congrats on your new purchase and retirement from a fellow educator! I've been in the classroom for 11 years, so retirement is a ways off for me, but I can dream!

I'm a single camper as well, and you'll find that a lot of folks in parks are quite friendly and ready for a chat, so you'll never really feel that alone.

Kevin
Old 06-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Bowhunter

Congrats on your new trailer! You will never get bored in the great outdoors! Best wishes and safe travels!

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the new rig and the decision to get out and use it.

After being widowed for 3 1/2 years (I've been married 48 years and can't imagine being alone) I think you are making a great choice. You've still got good health and NOW is the time to take advantage of that. As others have posted, I have watched many folks wait to "go and do" until they either die or can't. So, go DO!!

You've chosen a great trailer for you and pup. I think you will find that trailer life is going to open up so many fun things to do. I love my pup (5 yrs old sleeping beside me at the moment) and she loves seeing new places too.

"Trailering" may be new to you but there's not a lot to it if you've got the trailer and tow vehicle lined up...which you do. Just make sure you have a good weight distribution hitch with sway control and get it set up correctly. Then it's just a matter of learning the easy ways of hitching and unhitching, connecting all the campground stuff (water line(s), sewer, electric and/or cable) and leveling the trailer.

After you have set up just take pup for a walk in the morning. I imagine you will strike up conversations with several people (we always do - RV folks tend to be friendly) and you will quickly fall into the "groove".

If you have any issues you have this great forum with lots of knowledgeable folks willing to help. Good Luck and happy travels!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
thatdjguy

What an inspiration you are, sir. You can wait around and wait for death or you can make death chase you around the country. Hell--go camp in some mountains and hide from it! Enjoy the ride.
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:06 AM   #12
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

We've been full-timing in our 248RKS for a year now and absolutely love it. Before we went full-time we took it from Houston to the Dallas area and stayed there for a while (weekends) and finally brought it back down to our home base here in the hill country. We love our rig and have had no complaints. It went through the winter freezes in Dallas last year without a hitch and came through the recent heavy rains/flooding here in south Texas without so much as a drop inside. If I had to change one thing it would be the TV. And I did. Put a new 32" in the dining area and moved the original back to the bedroom. We couldn't be happier. Enjoy your rig. Oh, and we tow it effortlessly with our 5.7 Tundra!
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
Seth

Congrats Ellis on your purchase and your decision to enjoy life every day. That's a lesson for all to know regardless of age. Safe and happy travels!

2013 Keystone Bullet 298BHS
2013 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI and Airlift

Seth is offline   Reply With Quote