Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
mobile42

Air Bags or Timbrens??

I've been looking for any strong recommendations on this forum for Airbags and also Timbrens (rubber springs).

After looking at the material for these including installation instructions and advertising it appears to me that they effectively do the same thing. I have no experience with either. But I would expect the differences to be:

- airbags are adjustable for different loads (even on the fly with an on-board compressor).
- plumbed together airbags don't balance side to side but plumbed seperate they do.
- slightly easier to install Timbrens
- $200 for Timbrens vs $300 for airbags (no compressor).
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Umpie007

I think you'll really like the airbags option. About a hour and a half install, maintenance free and look cool. I've had Firestone Ride Rite air bags in my last 2 trucks and absolutely love them!! They provide not just a great ride loaded but unloaded as well. I run 12psi in them unloaded and the truck rides considerably better than stock. loaded I run 25psi in them and it rides just like the camper isn't there. Remember though...when you put a load on your bags, the psi increases, so don't put 100psi in them and drop your rig onto your truck, and you also want to avoid frame hoists for vehicle maintenance (oil changes etc.). If you have to use a frame hoist remember to deflate bags. If you do decide to go with bags, be sure to look at the capacity, your sport bags are typically rated for about 2,000 pounds and your work bags are rated for 5,000 pounds. If you don't have 200+$ to blow on an air compressor, I suggest you buy a portable air tank. If you are an occasional rv'er like myself and go about 8 times a year you can go most of the season on one tank of air. I have no comments on the Timbrens I don't know of anyone who has used them.

2006 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, PPE Power Programmer, Pyrometer and Boost Guages, Custom Exhaust with LB7 Downpipe, EGR Block, PCV Reroute, Transgo-Jr Allison Transmission Kit, Cold Air Mod to Factory Air Box, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Prodigy Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion Hitch
Umpie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Jim W

Hi,
I am a member of Turbo Diesel Register.com and this same debate is always on going, as to what is best air bags or Tmbrens. Several members have pulled RV's for the manufactures to the dealers for a living. Have put more then a million miles or more on their trucks in pulling these for a living. Most of them have recommend Timbrens even for the causal user.
The main reason is Timbrens do not limit the unloaded suspension travel nearly as much as do air bags. This will affect the unloaded ride of the truck. Another reason they favor the Timbrens is you do not have to install an on-board air compressor to kept the air bags inflated. They claim that bags will leak down over time and will need to be re-inflated. Thus the added expense of an on-board air-compressor for the air-bags.

Just food for thought.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
mobile42

Thanks for your replies.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
f350chief

Timbrens

I have been looking into the Timbrens or the air bags also. I have one question about the Timbrens. Do the Timbens ride on top of the axle constantly when the truck is loaded? I have a F350 SRW and I pull a 316RL laredo that has 1750lb of hitch weight. My truck drops about 3 inches when the camper is hooked up. According to the Timbren instructions you set them up with a 1" gap above the axles.
f350chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Chief, I just put Timbrens on my 08 F350 dually last year. They bolt up to the original mount for the factory bump stop. I don't recall the exact clearance, but if I remember correctly, they give you a shim to use if you want to adjust them closer to the axle. They do have a minimum clearance spec, I think, but mine required no adjustment. Had air lift bags on my old F250, and only ever had trouble with the on board compressor siezing up thru the winter. Decided to try Timbrens with the new fiver, as it is much heavier, pin weight and total. So far, I really like the Timbrens, rides smooth and never have to fuss with anything, just hook up and go.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
f350chief

MightyMike- Thanks for the reply. I am like several other people trying to decide which way to go. I do like the idea of not having to check air evertime you go somewhere. Thanks!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
antiqfreq

We put in the Ride-Rite air bags about 2 years ago and traveled full time with our F250 until just recently. No problems at all.
We have the onboard compressor with the gauge inside the truck and we
adjust as needed - whether fiver is attached or not!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
albertr

Timbrens

I have been thinking about Timbrens or Air Bags for my Dodge 2500HD with 29rl Avalanche. Pin weight (dry) 2050 lbs. Truck drops 2.5 inches. What do you think? How far will it drop with Timbrins? Any suggestions will be appreciated. This may have been posted before but I can't find it. Thinks....Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
albertr

Talking Timbkens

Should read Thanks Al...(me thinks)
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
Bob Landry

I'm wrestling with it also. According to the installation instructions, there is a 1" gap before anything happens. If you are trying to eliminate a 1" rear end drop and the device doesn't do anything until the frame touches it, where's the benefit of using the Timbren?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
bruno4

I agree, if you drop 1 inch, Timbrens are not helping. I have Ride Rite Air Bags and I inflate to make my rig level. They are like shock absorbers but adjustable. They provide a smooth ride. Timbrens replace the bumper stop. They are still a bumper stop, but a longer one and flexible. They engage after you put weight on your truck bed. So, they provide no "lift" to make your rig level. I don't understand why so many people praise Timbrens. To me, it is just a "cheap" solution for those not wanting to spend money for something that works best. Or, maybe they work best on 1/2 tons and Tundras where hauling an occasional extra load, they may provide relief. But, for people towing a 5th wheel, air bags are the way to go.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno4 View Post
I agree, if you drop 1 inch, Timbrens are not helping. I have Ride Rite Air Bags and I inflate to make my rig level. They are like shock absorbers but adjustable. They provide a smooth ride. Timbrens replace the bumper stop. They are still a bumper stop, but a longer one and flexible. They engage after you put weight on your truck bed. So, they provide no "lift" to make your rig level. I don't understand why so many people praise Timbrens. To me, it is just a "cheap" solution for those not wanting to spend money for something that works best. Or, maybe they work best on 1/2 tons and Tundras where hauling an occasional extra load, they may provide relief. But, for people towing a 5th wheel, air bags are the way to go.
I'm going to be pulling a conventional tow and even though I'll be within all the ratings, I'm probably going to be maxed out on tongue weight, so I don't want to just minimize the sagging rear, I want to be able to control the level of the truck. it's sounding like I will probably be looking at air bags if I get the rear sag that I think I'm going to get.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
albertr

Air bags or Timbrens

I am becoming convinced that air bags are the way to go. We are in the Phoenix/Tucson area. Anybody know a good place to buy inthis area? Thanks...Al
Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Houndie Dog

I am on my second truck with airbags. I really like the flexability of having control of the ride with my airbags. I put the on board compressor on my dually and love it. I know absolutley nothing about Timbrens so can't give an opinion of them. The bags on the Dodge were easier to install than the Chevy, but installation was fairly easy on both.
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #16
f350chief

Smile Timbrens

I just purchased a set of Timbrens for my F350 SRW. I have pulled my fifth wheel and a farm trailer with a tractor and the Timbrens worked great. It stopped the sway that I was having going into turns and it improved the overal ride when the truck was loaded. I installed them myself and there was less that 1/2 inch gap between the axle and the Timbren. They did not seem to affect the ride when the truck was empty. I am pleased with the results.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
kenn209

Firestone Ride-Rites on our Dodge Ram 2500, Love em, easy to install, I ran the inflation lines to the license plate area and inflate them there, I was too cheap to spring for a on-board compressor.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
Firestone Ride-Rites on our Dodge Ram 2500, Love em, easy to install, I ran the inflation lines to the license plate area and inflate them there, I was too cheap to spring for a on-board compressor.
Ditto ..... especially on the "cheap" part. The DW says I'm a nut about properly aimed headlights. After I hitch up I inflate the air bags to bring the truck back to it's unloaded height. My headlights stay on the road and not in anyones mirrors. (I wish everyone had them ) Driving comfort and handling also is improved when everything is level. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
albertr

air bags or timbrens

I have bought the Firestone air bags for our 2005 Dodge 2500HD . Now all I need to do is install them. I have 17 days before we hook up again.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
albertr

Air Bags...

Today I took a quick look at installing Air Bags on my 2500 Dodge HD pickup. One thing that I noticed was that the Lower Brackets are a pretty tight fit between the spring/axle u-bolts. May have to grind a bit. Anybody on here who have installed their own? Dealer wants over $200 to do the job. What problems if any did you encounter? Thanks...Al