Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
rosede

Angry Propane tanks stolen - Again

Last spring, when I was first getting ready for the camping season, I realized that someone stole one of my LP tanks. It appears that they took one, emptied it, returned it and then took the second one. So, I had to purchase a new tank and fill them both.

Another member on this board suggested using Masterlock Python cable/lock to secure my tanks. I purchased two 6' cable and locks and secured my tanks thinking that they would be a deterrent. My thoughts were; the thief would see them chained down and move on to an unsecured pair of tanks.

Well, my thinking was wrong. The thieves did not cut the cable, rather they cut the handles on the tanks. When I first arrived at the storage lot, I noticed the the Masterlock Pythons hanging down on the ground. I removed the cover and saw that they initially tried to cut through the platform that the tanks sit on and squeeze one of the cables through the cut. However, it got stuck and they couldn't get it through. So, they had to have cut the handle and squeeze the cable through that cut.

This tells me that this is someone who has access to the storage lot, a vehicle and tools.

I considered going to the owner of the lot, but I know what he'll tell me; I should have removed the tanks for the winter and kept them at home. I once went to him about a suspicious person that I saw driving around in the lot. Gave him the date, time, make/model of the vehicle and he just wasn't interested. Unless I saw him in the act of committing a crime, he wasn't going to review the security tapes. I know others who keep their campers there have had similar complaints about him.

Its time to find a new storage lot, but now is not a good time to do so and there are very few storage lots in my area. I guess I'll have to wait until spring to move out.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Sorry to hear you got hit again. There is no lower scum than a thief in my book. I hope you find a better place soon.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The emotional vulnerability caused by thieves is very frustrating. As for finding another place to store your RV, there's never a better time to start looking and simply move it ASAP! Remember, you only need one space, somewhere else!!!!

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
bg71361

Yes definitely time to find a new storage lot, bu i would definitely bring it to the owners attention.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Makes you wonder how much the owners cut is on the stuff that gets stolen is.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
rosede

When I moved first moved in two years ago, he told me that he has had vandalism. Campers have been broken into and items stolen. There are some apartments next door to the storage lot. He pointed the blame at them.

He has a 12' wooden fence topped with a double row of barbwire. Also, a camera pointed right at the fence. For the longest time, the barbwire had been cut, and the cable to the camera had also been cut. I noticed that he finally fixed both sometime this summer. When I first discovered the tanks missing, I immediately looked at the fence and camera. Both were intact. Again, this tells me that someone has access, a vehicle and tools.

I won't go so far a to say that he is on the take, but rather just lazy.

Daryl

Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Makes you wonder how much the owners cut is on the stuff that gets stolen is.
I thought the same thing, Barney. With his refusal to even look at the security tapes, makes you wonder if he might have "done the deed" himself and now that it's over, he's safe and secure with "erased security tapes". Hmmmmm This might be a good time for a small, well concealed "game camera" hidden across from the OP's trailer. He may be very surprised by what he captures on his discrete camera footage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
rosede

Oh, one other thing.

I noticed that they looked at my spare tire. They removed the cover and haphazardly put it back on. I looked at a couple of other campers in the lot and noticed that they had also looked at those spares as well. One guy even has covers over the regular tires and they pulled those off and looked the those tires. Guess their looking for a specific tire.

Daryl

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
notanlines

Daryl, in my opinion the thieves are way, way too comfortable in that storage lot. At first I thought maybe those members insinuating the owner was "in on it" were mistaken, but I'm beginning to think that he/she at least looks the other way. I would immediately be on the move towards a new site.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Ram189

To cut the handles on a propane tank is not an easy or quiet endeavor.

I would think at least 10 or 20 minutes of work by hand or a grinder with a lot of sparks and noise involved.

I would definitely be on the move to another location of no one saw or heard anything. Funny how the only camera points at the fence like that does any good for the rest of the lot.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
byrdr1

Thanks above that I can store my camper at my house less than 35-40 from my front door or back door or basement door.
And I am about to go video on my carports and RvPort. House is already wired.
some technology is wonderful.
That blows on your tanks, I have left my camper stored at the beach for 20 or so days. NOW this has me antsy..ITs in locked storage yard on the back side of a private campground.

randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Thanks above that I can store my camper at my house less than 35-40 from my front door or back door or basement door.
I wish that I had that option. My neighborhood does not allow it.

Daryl

Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
I wish that I had that option. My neighborhood does not allow it.

Daryl
That is one downside to being in an HOA. Mine doesn't allow "work" trucks or campers. They let the "work" trucks slide but not campers
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
That is one downside to being in an HOA. Mine doesn't allow "work" trucks or campers. They let the "work" trucks slide but not campers
You and I must live in the same neighborhood. We have the same rule, but for whatever reason, the work trucks get a pass, but the campers don't. I guess it's whomever screams the loudest. If no one screams about the work trucks, then they get the pass.

Daryl

Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Ram189

I live in the city limits of Frederick, Md.

There is a city ordinance that came out after I bought my trailer that states you cannot park anything over 24' on city streets. The law technically states at all but the cops said they will give you 24 hours leaway. The neighbors that know about the law are on the HOA board and are not as easy going. They got me this summer and the cops had to come write me a warning ticket.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
thewhitehat

Talking

The fact of the matter is, there's hardly an RV storage lot that doesn't get "hit" once in a while, because of neighborhoods or businesses nearby. I was fortunate to find the place I store at because it is rural, way off the road, in fact , you can't see it from the road. There's also no sign advertizing the storage lot. What is more, there are no neighborhoods or busnesses nearby and the owners live on-site. Great place, with fences, electric gates with passcard, and good lighting.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
azlee56

That just sucks! I would tell the owner that you are making a police report (then watch his reaction). Then do it, if something is going on there might be several reports. Take a day off of work and find somewhere else to park before they go into your camper and rip stereos/tvs/etc out of it. They aren't that hard to get into.

GET EM
Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
SAABDOCTOR

john i like your idea of a small camera on the camper to catch the perp. i have worked in this gas station/service repair for 22 years. i have all ways tought inocent till proven otherwise. I have seen so pretty wild ways of stealing stuff from the gas pumpers ( we are full service) from money credit cards to stuff from cars all i can say is i hope the tank leaks and he blows his A&^% up!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
Desert185

Sorry about your theft. I hate thieves.

My son's dirt bike was stolen years ago. Saw the kid do it and couldn't catch him. Called the cops and they found the kid (I identified him and he started crying), but they couldn't find the bike, so it was his crybaby word against mine. Never got the bike back.

I'm not sure we would have the trailer if I had to pay to store it someplace. I'm grateful I can can just walk outside and do things to it with power on it.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

The owner of that lot is #1 lazy #2 stupid #3 involved but, for sure he really only wants your money and does not care about your stuff. I hope you called in a report about each theft and if not do it. Make sure you tell everyone you know who gets stuff stolen there to phone in a report. To secure his lot with good working cameras, fencing, locks helps but, it sound like he just does not care.
The game cameras are not to expensive now days. Get one. I used them for catching poachers both real high tech ones and cheap ones. They work, I even caught a ODOT worker who was stealing 15 -20 gallons of fuel from the police boats parked in their storage. After I found the pattern, it took 3 weekends to get the guy.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote