Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
smokeater

Can't disconnect

Picked up my new 30repr Premier today and after the 3 1/2 hr drive home, I can't get the tongue off of the ball, nothing I try works, any help would be appreciated.
smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Loosen and remove your sway bar and distribution bars, lower the jack enough to level the tow vehicle and take the weight off the hitch, chock the trailer and pull the pin on the hitch receiver. Drive forward slowly, the hitch will come out of the receiver, then you can change the angle to get the ball out of the coupler. Chances are that your hitch is slightly angled and won't disconnect. You may have to adjust the washers on the hitch head to get it right.

Don't panic, once you get the hitch out of the receiver, you can move it around to get it uncoupled.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
tailpipe

Many times if the ball will not release easily when raising with tonge blocked the wheels put the weight back on the ball pull up a coupled inches set your emergency brake and try it again...another option...naturally the spring bars are removed as are the light hookup safety chains and small safety cable
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

What happened to me, I never used this type of coupler(hitch part on trailer) and was not releaseing the lever correctly. If like mine follow post #2 and than pull release lever up, make sure you than slide back the handle towards the trailer until the stop or the ball will not release. I pulled the hitch pin as mentioned and dropped the hitch on the driveway 2 times before I realized my BIG mistake. My neighbor showed me the correct way.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
GaryWT

Our Premier does not open all the time, after raising to take the bars off, we will just pull on the release as we lower it. There is generally one spot where it will just open and the ball will slide out. Once you have done it a couple times it becomes very easy as you know the spot. Enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
smokeater

Thanks everyone, I soaked everything in penetrating lubricant and fiddled with raising and lowering, it finally came free. I believe that it might be a bit of an angle issue. I will keep you posted. As for the trailer, I am still in awe of the size and roominess................fabulous
Old 08-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #7
Bulletman

Had the same issue with our new Bullet. Realized the dealer set the hitch way to low so it was pinched. I reset the hitch following the instructions and have not had an issue since. Check your set up or have a good rv tech look it over.
Reese Pro Series RB WD hitch
Bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Bob Landry

If the ball is tilted so much that the coupler will not lift off the ball, then the hitch is set up incorrectly or it is not the correct hitch/bars for your application. I would start with a complete setup from scratch using the instructions because it really sounds like something wasn't done correctly.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
Hercules1978

I apply a light coat of axle grease before each trip to 1, keep things quiet and 2, help disconnect.

Also, when disconnecting there is a point in lowering the truck where I can see the hitch just start to drop towards the bottom of the receiver. At this point I can pull the release lever and the ball drops out every time.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules1978 View Post
I apply a light coat of axle grease before each trip to 1, keep things quiet and 2, help disconnect.

Also, when disconnecting there is a point in lowering the truck where I can see the hitch just start to drop towards the bottom of the receiver. At this point I can pull the release lever and the ball drops out every time.
How are you lowering the truck and why? With the WD bar removed, the coupler should lift off the ball using the tongue jack.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Hercules1978

After raising the truck to disconnect the WDH bars. Once it starts to settle back to the ground, the coupler and hitch head relax and then just drop out once the lever is pulled
Old 08-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
GaryWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
How are you lowering the truck and why? With the WD bar removed, the coupler should lift off the ball using the tongue jack.
Most likely with the tongue jack. After you raise to remove the bars you need to lower to release the level so the ball drops out. Most cannot release the leave with the weight of the truck hanging from the hitch so you lower the jack until you can release the lever then you raise it so you can pull the truck away.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Bob Landry

That just sounds like kind of a funky way to do it. When I hitch up, I back the truck until the ball is under the coupler. Then I lower the tongue just enough so that I know when I lower it completely it's going to drop onto the hitch. I connect the WD bars, cam them up and then lower the hitch the rest of the way. To unhitch, the procedure is reversed, but never do I raise or lower the truck, only the trailer tongue. Maybe his explanation just isn't very clear, but it sounded like he was actually lowering and raising the back of the truck to mate with the coupler.
I still contend that if the coupler does not simply raise off the hitch with the WD bars removed, something isn't right with the hitch adjustment

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 08-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
I.plod

Screw it.

It's a omen. Go camping.

Bluegrass Bass Player Central Virginia
2014 Bullet 230BHS
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
I.plod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
Hercules1978

Ok, let me try again.
When I hitch up to my trailer I have to raise the back of the truck a bit to make connecting the WDH bars easier. When disconnecting, I again raise the bed of the truck a bit to make it easier to take them off. As I am lowering the tongue jack, I can see the hitch and receiver begin to settle apart (there is a bit of slack in my 2" receiver). At this point, I pull the release handle and the truck drops to its unloaded height separating from the trailer.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #16
Charby

I have had the same issues of disconnections during unlevel conditions.
Recently backing trailer into a lower area than TV was at. Moved tongue up and down, pulled forward while wheels were chaulked, and it was still hanging on. I endded up tapping release lever with axe and block of wood, and she came off. The angle is the issue as we don't camp on parking lot like stalls where we camp.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #17
smokeater

Got her all fixed up. Took it to a local Hitch n Go and he set up the stuff properly. Also learned that the ball was slightly loose which also contributed to the problem............tks for all the replies....
Old 10-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
GaryWT

Glad it is set now, good luck going forward.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
outwest

I doubt that it applies in this situation, since newer trailers don't seem to have as wide of lip around the base of the ball receiver, but parents used to have an old trailer that the lip in front of the ball receiver was so wide that it would hit the back of the hitch that the ball was on. Had to grind a narrow strip off of the front of the lip on the ball receiver.

Not sure if that made sense without pics or not.

Was such a pain that we got to where we left the hitch system hooked to the trailer (only occasionally removing it to grease the ball) and would back the square receiver onto the stinger. Because of having to do that for years, that's how I hitch up to this day unless I'm having to hitch at an angle ('course w/ today's tech - backup camera - it's sooo much easier).

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #20
Micah.TX

Had the same problem. Had to take off the distribution bars, lower and raise the tongue before it would finally release. What a pain, but got it off. Keep a pair of work gloves handy to save your hands.
Micah.TX is offline   Reply With Quote