Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
MConnelly

Side to Side leveling solution

I have a 2009 Fuzion 403 and leveling the rig side to side has always been a pain in the butt for me. Carrying 2X8 planks is ok as are the RV lego block wheel blocks. But somehow these tried and true tools were always just a bit too high or too low and I always had to move the rig from where I wanted it to place the planks or blocks to roll back up on them.
I tried the 7,000lb scissors jacks in an effort to jack up one side via the frame rails. This did not work as a 7,000 jack will not lift one side of a 15,000 + fifth wheel. Even two did not work.
The big $$ solution would be an auto leveling system to the tune of what? $4,000.00.
My solution is two 20 Ton bottle jacks and two pieces of Steel tube that telescope. The inner tube has holes drilled so that a pin can be moved up or down , depending on need, to rest the inner tube on the outer tube , which rests on the jack body.
Once parked, and leveled front to back with the existing front levelers and rear supports. I determine which side needs adjustment. I place both bottle jacks
directly under the I beam frame. One in front, one in back. I simply jack the rig up a touch above level, place the pins thru the inner tubes,and lower the jack so the pins rest on the outer tubes. The rig is now level front to back and side to side. This process takes me a few minutes and the rig is dead level and much more stable than when I put one side up on blocks. I believe the picture of the Jack set will be self explanatory. The tube set can be made to any height
to accomodate any rig. Hope this is of some help to someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Leveler Jack.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2613  
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Looks great .... does it cause any flex in the frame that you can notice???
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
michol02

That's a really light solution to a heavy problem!!! LOL
I have 2 scissor jacks like you mentioned. One on each side near the front wheel. My trailer is 9200 lbs, so I use them only if I'm out of level slightly. If I'm way off, I need a set-up like yours. I think I'm gonna look into something like that. What kind of pin did you use to hold all that weight?

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  3.4 KB

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
MConnelly

side to side......flex and pins

As to flex...The jacks are so powerful you could flex the frame if care is not taken to lift evenly. I can easily lift the wheels off the ground if need be.
I have not had a problem with this because I was aware of it. Good point no matter what manner is used to level.

The pins are the same pins I have in the front landing gear. I got mine at The Tractor store. The pipe is 3/16 thick wall so there is a lot of surface to rest on.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote