Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
jumpy

Smile fresh water tank

I have been searching the forum and have not found the answer i'm looking for. I have a 377 se and i was wondering how full is full? Can you let the tank fill till it comes out the vent or will that damage something? I have been filling it till the full light comes on but wonder how much water cap. I lose with that method. Any ideas would be appericiated Thanks.
jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
f6bits

A proper fresh water system is safe to fill until it overflows. That's how I fill mine.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Jumpy --
The problem with using the gauges to determine how full or empty the tanks are, is that the sensors & gauges are not that accurate - especially the black and gray water ones. Of the three, the FW is probably the most accurate but still may give false readings.

By listening to the sound coming out of the FW fill vent, you can get a pretty good idea if the tank is approaching full. Better yet, when you either see or feel the water on your shirt coming back out of the filler inlet, you will know for sure when the tank is full.

If you both listen and watch, you can "tune up" your ears to when the tank is approaching full and starts to overflow.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
jumpy

Thanks for the quick response. I'm a quick learner sure it won't take more than one time of getting wet to figure out it's full. I really get a chuckle out of some of your guys responses simple and to the point. Thanks a bunch for the help
jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
abneynormal

i blew a hose

the first time I filled mine I thought it had a overflow. it didn't I blew the filler hose. I was using the onboard filling system. I had water pouring out the bottom when I dropped the plastic bottom there was the hose with a hole blown in it. you can check the gage or buy a inline gage that tells you how many gallons liters you have run through the gage. note if you rupture the tank/ hose keystone wont fix it.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
the first time I filled mine I thought it had a overflow. it didn't I blew the filler hose. I was using the onboard filling system. I had water pouring out the bottom when I dropped the plastic bottom there was the hose with a hole blown in it. you can check the gage or buy a inline gage that tells you how many gallons liters you have run through the gage. note if you rupture the tank/ hose keystone wont fix it.
How did you rupture the hose in an open system? On most of our RV's, there is a 1.25" fill port with a 3/8" overflow port just above it. When I put my half inch hose in the fill port, there's still an "easy half inch" of space for water to flow around it to wet my shirt when the tank is full. I can't imagine how it could build up enough pressure to rupture the tank or blow off the fill hose if you are standing there to pull the hose out of the fill port when it soaks you......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
abneynormal

idk

I have a 3912. I used the onboard filling system. I got busy doing something and came back and had water pouring out of the bottom of my rv. AND THEN I read the manual which states to watch it because of possible tank/hose rupture. it was a learning experience. I don't think it would have blown if I was filling it with a external water hose.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

AHHHHHHH The closed, pressure fill system. "Designers" say that it's a great system and "so convenient".... It's a sure bet that none of them have ever actually used the system, or, like you, they would have found its biggest "weak link" Sorry to hear about your problem, but like falling down the steps, after once, you'll always use the hand rail from now on.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
abneynormal

yep

I still fill it with the onboard system but I pay attention and I use a water gage I got from amazon to check the actual capacity I add. no need to drag all that weight if I don't need it. mine is suppose to hold 110 gallons so that is a lot of weight to add
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
dpkimmel2001

I use the hose connection with the lever switched to the fill position. I also leave the cap off of the other fill point keeping any pressure from building up. I run the water until water starts flowing from the other fill point. I haven't had any problems using this method and I'm certain that the tank is full.