Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
mikz86ta

Side Patio ... This Normal?

So on the FZ420, the side patio I noticed had a soft spot. But seems like multiple. And more like a raised area or bubble inside under the grip surface.
I found very little about this except from another forum. They said its water getting inside from the poor welds on the aluminum frame.
LCI makes it and it's like a smaller version of the rear ramp door. Even has a decal depicting the capacity of it as a ramp door.
Anyways, I seen some people argue to never leave it open in the rain. That's an issue and it was never designed to stay open for the elements. Seems like the whole point of the ramp doors to become a patio is to leave them open while you camp. No matter the weather. Be kind of a chore to open and close each time you leave the RV or when it rains.
Also I noticed that when you leave it closed for a period of time and go to open it, there is water that runs out from the prior rainfall. The water is brown. Guessing this is from dirt and the seals on the patio are not doing their job?
I mean at RV is supposed to be built to be outside all its life. Unless you have the luxury of a big garage for it and seldom use it.

Anyone else with same issue or experience??
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
tzman

Picture would help.
tzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
mikz86ta

Really hard to see since its a black surface. Mostly just felt as you walk on it
Old 08-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
twvette

I noticed one soft spot on mine too. I also have a slight crease that runs a little off center. Neither of these bother me much as I honestly expect if use it a lot gonna need to be redone at some point with more aluminum bracing as would be really surprised how minimal these new lightweight "gates" are constructed if you ever opened one up. I might also put a layer of sealant across it for further help with it holding water when it does get wet even though I use a blower to get it off each time.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:21 AM   #5
Tinner12002

I'll be picking up a Raptor 428 and I plan on running a small bead of silicone around the deck sealing the walk surface to the alum angle on both patios to help seal out water should we get a sudden rain, wasn't planning on leaving either down when its raining.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
mikz86ta

Left ours up all week due to a lot of rain. See what it looks like in a few days after heavy rains go away.
Even if they (LCI) does not recommended the door to stay open in the rain, where is this info? I see no addendum to the manuals it came with, never heard once from any salesman or dealer representative about this....and we loomed at this type of hauler at about 6 different dealers and we did not see any specific instructions on the doors.
Basically, the manufacturers of RVs don't really get to detailed in anything. And they use products made by other companies to build their units. Yet provide little info. How hard is it to make a model specific manual?