Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #1
RaptorDog

Solar Panel

I just purchased a Raptor 07 3712 ToyHauler and am getting used to how it works and where everything is at. It came with a solar panel that has the specs of 5 watt, voc 22v, i5c 450ma, vop 13.5v. It has a wire coming out of panel, about 13 in by 18 inches, no brand name on panel, that has two alligator clips. Do I just put clips on battery and monitor with volt meter to remove at what volts? The toyhauler has two 12v marine batteries and I am guessing I connect one clip to neg on one battery and one clip to pos on the other battery? Thanks in advance for all replies. Need to learn more about solar uses.
RaptorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
66joej

Always a good idea to have a voltage regulator between the batteries and the solar panel. Although it is not a real big output panel but could hurt the batteries in time if there is no draw on them.
Also welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
mikz86ta

Was yours 'solar prep'? There's a plug on the outside near the front or battery area. But not sure if you have that, just maybe you do.
Secondly, look up YouTube videos about the solar prep. Kinda a joke really and for what you pay.
Really it's only value is to slow charge and maintain battery life as the coach sits in storage.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Canonman

Sounds like a portable unit. Most are equipped with a power controller. The controller monitors the amp/current flow to the battery based on the amount the battery is discharged. As the battery becomes recharged the controller adjusts the output current to keep from damaging/overcharging the batteries. Small portable solar panels take hours to recharge the batteries. I wouldn't like to be sitting around all day watching the voltmeter.
Look to see if there is a controller on the other end of the wires. If not, I wouldn't trust or use the panel.
Yes, you do understand correctly where to attach the alligator clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4052 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	13537  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
B-O-B'03

A 5 watt solar panel is not going to do much toward recharging your batteries.

Most folks use solar systems capable of providing 100+ watts at a minimum.

It would probably be most useful for keeping the batteries topped off, while in storage, provided the parasitic load is not too high in the camper (stereo back-light, LP detector, etc) or is you have a battery cut off.

-Brian

Tags
solar