Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Ryo

Kitchen drains to black tank

Hello all. New to the forum and a new Keystone owner.

We bought a used Fusion 395 in April. The unit was basically brand new as the original owners only used it 5 times. We have loved it so far, except for one issue. The trailer has 2 bathrooms, so it has two black tanks and one grey tank. Our first trip out, we were surprised when the rear black tank was almost full after two days. Well, on the third morning my ten year old son wakes up and uses the back toilet, and when he flushed the toilet basically exploded at him because the black tank was so full. It was even more surprising when we went to dump and there was no more than 4-5 gallons of grey water to come out of the grey tank.

The next trip...same issue. So when we got home I put a hose in the kitchen sink and watched the tank levels. Low and behold, the rear black tank was filling...not the grey tank.

After several messages to Keystone on this, and the local dealer telling me that this can't be so, I finally got ahold of Keystone Owner Care today and explained the situation. I asked if the plumbing was set up wrong at the factory (which I just knew had to be it), would they stand behind the unit and help us to get it plumbed correctly? After being put on hold for about 10 minutes, the Keystone rep came back on the line and told me that it is plumbed correctly...the kitchen sink drains to the back black tank.

This seems completely crazy to me (am I the only one?). It basically makes our rear bathroom useless, as we use our kitchen sink quite a bit, and that tank fills so quickly that we cannot afford to have both the bathroom and kitchen in use. Plus, without never knowing when you have reached max capacity, when is the toilet going to start overflowing on a flush again when one of my kids use the toilet? Not to mention the idea that our kitchen sink, where we prepare our meals, is connected to a black tank!

I guess my question to everyone who reads this is... Have you experienced this with your 5th wheel? Can this truly be the way our trailer was designed, or is Keystone feeding me a line of B.S. because they don't want to hassle with it? We love our new-to-us 5th wheel, but this is going to prove to be a real pain going forward.

Sorry for the rant. Just looking for answers, advise, etc.
Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
papi

I have a Cougar 339 BHS. We have 1 1/2 bathroom also. The back bathroom sink drains into the back black tank. This also bothers me because is there ever an overflow it will come out of the sink Like you I don't understand why are they doing it this way but, your kitchen sink to the black tank? I am sorry keystone but that has to be wrong. Hope you can get yours fixed.
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Ryo

Thanks papi. It seems totally backwards to me too!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
mtofell

I understand the frustration and agree it's a bit odd. The kitchen sink is especially annoying since it gets used a lot. I have a 2 black tank unit and the sink in the bedroom goes into the black tank associated with the toilet in the bedroom which really isn't a problem.

Mainly, I want to put your fears are rest for contamination with kitchen dishes and overflowing into the bathroom sink. When water backs up it will come out the lowest point so that would have to be the toilets rather than the sinks. Keep in mind ALL of the plumbing in your house is attached so if that doesn't gross you out there is no reason to fear this setup in the RV.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
Campy

Check into the routing of the drain pipes from the sink and if your handy I bet it could be re-routed to the gray tank. I know that setup would not work in my camper as my wife uses a lot of water doing dishes and that going into the black tank would cause an issue real fast. Your right that is a crazy setup...
Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

How many grey and black tanks does it have? The monitor panel may show 4 and when you press the level sensor it may light up 4 tanks. Common for makers to use one panel for multiple lines/configurations.

I've seen toy haulers with a rear toilet have only 3 tanks and everything at the back drain into a black tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Ryo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
How many grey and black tanks does it have? The monitor panel may show 4 and when you press the level sensor it may light up 4 tanks. Common for makers to use one panel for multiple lines/configurations.

I've seen toy haulers with a rear toilet have only 3 tanks and everything at the back drain into a black tank.
Is has two black tanks and 1 grey tank. There are 3 total drain valves (2 black handle and 1 grey handle), and the monitor shows 2 black tanks and 1 grey tank.

It is a toy hauler, and the kitchen, back sink and back toilet go to the back black tank. Like someone said above, the kitchen sink gets used quite a bit, so with us it makes the back bathroom basically worthless as we are always going to worry that the tank will fill before we are ready to leave.

Being that it is a toy hauler, we always boondock. Probably the primary reason for a toy hauler is to carry ATV's, motorcycles, etc. which don't equate most of the time to RV park camping. At least in an RV park you can dump at will, but I can't just open the black tank valve in the mountains as I please!!
Old 07-16-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
Icefshng8

They haven’t changed

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought I should mention that they haven’t changed their ways. I have a 2022 hideout 176bh (1 bathroom, 1 black tank, one grey tank). The only thing that goes to the grey tank is the kitchen sink. The sink in the bathroom goes to the black tank. Our bathroom always smells like sewage and gets even worse when using the sink. I pulled the access panel and found that they teed the sink drain right into the roof vent pipe for the black tank
Icefshng8 is offline   Reply With Quote