Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
cospilot

suggestion for a toy hauler upgrade from TT

so i am new to the camping scene. my first camper is a 2014 32 foot keystone premiere 32BHPR.
I've enjoyed riding dirt bikes for some time and recently bought a 4 wheeler for the wife to ride.
i have a standard side truck bed and i am able to fit both the bike and the quad in the bed with the tailgate closed so i can tow the camper.

we basically stole the camper as a dealer was liquidating their keystone inventory last feb and i bought this unit because i know i wouldn't take a bath on the resale value if we decided to get something different.

what i am looking for..
probably the smallest garage toy hauler. it is unlikely ill be getting another 4 wheeler any time soon and the bike doesn't take much room.
i do not want a 5th wheel design. i am looking for a tow behind toy hauler

i would prefer something that doesn't look so much like a garage space with living quarters. rather something thats more people friendly and less "garage" friendly
something that looks like what we are used to in the travel trailer with a nice large TV to watch and preferably with a divided garage wall.

it cannot weigh over 8,000 pounds and preferably less.

do any of you have a suggestion for me?
thanks!
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
skydiverchuck

check the outback models they have a TT TH that might meet your needs.

Chuck
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
notanlines

I'm not certain that Keystone makes a model that would fit your needs. The Outback is the only TT I'm aware of that is a toy hauler of sorts made by Keystone. It is a side-entry ramp about 4 1/2 foot wide. Might I ask what you'll be hauling this with?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
cospilot

i looked at the outback today at my local dealer. it is do-able but it lacks a generator and a fuel station.
i suppose that would be easy enough to remedy i don't need much fuel storage and i can get a portable generator.

i am considering staying with the current setup/scenario which is haul the 4 wheeler and the dirt bike in the bed of the truck and tow a camper behind it.
i have a 32BHPR now and am looking to get something with dual slides on the rear with a rear entertainment or living area instead.

my tow capacity is 9200 lbs and i am right at that limit with the current setup. i really don't want to get anything much over 7,000 lbs because the toys are 1,000 and ill be fast approaching my limit.
i think the smarter and least expensive option is like i said keep the toys in the truck bed and get a smaller trailer.
we aren't really using any of the rear bunks anyway so i would rather just have a living area back there in about 27 feet length if i can find it.
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
TandE

That may work best for you. It seems as though keystone has discontinued a lot of its travel trailer toy haulers from what I can see online. No longer do they have the energy line (I think that was the name of them) which was mainly all TTs and now only have carbons and two or three impact toy hauler TTs even the higher end ones are all 5ers now. All of which are over your 8000 lb mark when used with a dedicated garage setup. The ones where the garage and living area is one area they were under 7 but at least one I looked at didn't have the onboard fuel station.

Unfortunately if you do decide on a TT toy hauler it may have to be another brand.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:14 AM   #6
gtsum2

With ur tow ratings might be best to use bed for hauling he toys and get a smaller camper
Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
With ur tow ratings might be best to use bed for hauling he toys and get a smaller camper
Depending on the tow vehicle payload rating, it might well be impossible to add anything to the bed, depending on passenger weight, cargo weight, hitch weight and tongue weight of that "smaller camper"...... The answer, may not be to carry the toys in the bed if there isn't enough payload. Just sayin'......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Depending on the tow vehicle payload rating, it might well be impossible to add anything to the bed, depending on passenger weight, cargo weight, hitch weight and tongue weight of that "smaller camper"...... The answer, may not be to carry the toys in the bed if there isn't enough payload. Just sayin'......
very true

I think any toy hauler under his tow rating and likely his payload will be tough to find. I looked at a work and play..18ft that a guy had next to me awhile back. Sharp little unit...it weighed about 7000 I think it was...but the tongue was 1300 I think he said..he was using a 350 to pull it. I think the GVWR of the rig was 10k if I recall
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
gary31

We had somewhat of the same situation. We purchased a 27ft bunkhouse to take to the race track with my grandson. By the time I added the 4 wheeler to the truck and external generator, we were full with the F150 crew cab. Purchased a 31 TH and can now load all the crap in the garage with lots of room to spare but..... Then had to buy a 2500 to tow it. You may need to look at a larger tow vehicle if you want a TH with a garage, we love our Carbon 31 does everything we wanted with lots of options for sleeping dinning and carrying the toys.
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Most bumper pull toy haulers with a garage will be 28' plus and will be over the weight you are trying to stay under. If you are set on a bumper pull toy hauler I would be looking at a Desert Fox. I would not even waste my time with a Keystone/Thor product in that category.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
steve slade

You can look at the Carbon 22 or the carbon 27 either one of those may suit your needs and they are both half ton towable. The 27 has a separate 9ft garage and the 22 is open style. I have the carbon 32 and I tow it with my half ton. It is at the limits but I manage to handle it
steve slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
Nailz

If you are not excluding the used market you could purchase mine or one like it in your area.

2010 Keystone Raptor 21FB

Shipping Weight = 6250
Carrying Capacity = 4750
Hitch = 1130
Length = 24' 5
Height = 12'
Fresh Water = 86
Waste Water = 30
Gray Water = 30
LPG = 40
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150705_134800.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	9476   Click image for larger version

Name:	21FB Floorplan.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	9477  

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote